Duke Nukem Train Wreck Trashes Take-Two

Nazrel

May 16, 2008
Revolutionary said:
Drakmeire said:
Wait, does Duke didn't sell well?
Does this mean that it might be a collector's item in the future like ummm... EVERY OTHER GAME THAT DIDN'T SELL.
I'm surprised that not many people took a risk on Duke, I bought it and sure it's pretty crappy and makes me feel empty inside but it almost feels important just for existing. Kinda like owning an iron maiden, sure it looks awful in you room and makes everything depressing but it's a piece of history nonetheless
Yeah it didn't sell well. However that's a relative term used in relation to sales figures of successful. I seriously doubt that DNF will become rare and therefore a collectors item especially seeing as it is Duke Nukem forever.
No, L.A. Noire didn't sell well. Duke Nukem got bad reviews, actual sales are predicted to be around 1.5 to 2 million.

otterhead

Feb 19, 2009
Jubbert said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
When 899,000 sales in the space of one month is deemed disappointing, then there's something fucked up with the games industry.
I thought I was the only one who noticed this.
It's a really good point. Expect a few more sales over the coming months and maybe some if the game is promoted in stores for Xmas... I hope L.A Noire or at least the general style of gameplay establishes itself as a quality franchise. Ya know right up there with GTA and Red Dead as quality entertainment.

I'm gonna get round to playing Duke too as a nice change from COD and for a laugh.

Sean Strife

Jan 29, 2010
DonTsetsi said:
Azaraxzealot said:
looks like they'll be getting bought out by EA or Activision after all.

Say hello to GTA milking!

sunami88 said:
Auxiliary said:
They should have brought LA Noire to the PC as well. Point and click adventures are right up our alley.
Seconded. I really want to play this game, but I'm between consoles at the moment...
then they would have had piracy making sales even worse. great.
Because consoles cannot be pirated? Few people would pirate a PC game and wouldn't pirate a console game.
Uhh, bullshit. Console games CAN be pirated. I used to pirate PS1 games back in the day and I have friends who pirate PS2 games at times. I wouldn't be surprised if there's people out there who pirate PS3 and 360 games.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Then fix your system. Seriously, you just admitted that game scores are hopelessly inflated for Triple A titles. You shouldn't be insulting a user for pointing out something that should be the case. Record of Agarest War got scores in the low sixties but was considered an average game. Oh, so triple A titles have to get more than that? Talk about a bias.
It's not "my" system. But it is "the" system, and the fact is that any triple-A game that puts up an aggregate score (from sites that matter) of under 85 is a critical failure. "Lesser" games can get away with it because expectations are lower or because they're aimed at a more specialized audience that will put up with flaws to get a particular type of gaming fix, but big-time, mainstream releases need to score at least in the mid-80s - at least - to be considered a critical success.

Don't act like this is some deep, dark secret. This is the way the system works. And as long as that's the case, insisting that 50/100 is an average, middle-of-the-road review score will get you laughed out of any serious conversation on the matter.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Then fix your system. Seriously, you just admitted that game scores are hopelessly inflated for Triple A titles. You shouldn't be insulting a user for pointing out something that should be the case. Record of Agarest War got scores in the low sixties but was considered an average game. Oh, so triple A titles have to get more than that? Talk about a bias.
It's not "my" system. But it is "the" system, and the fact is that any triple-A game that puts up an aggregate score (from sites that matter) of under 85 is a critical failure. "Lesser" games can get away with it because expectations are lower or because they're aimed at a more specialized audience that will put up with flaws to get a particular type of gaming fix, but big-time, mainstream releases need to score at least in the mid-80s - at least - to be considered a critical success.

Don't act like this is some deep, dark secret. This is the way the system works. And as long as that's the case, insisting that 50/100 is an average, middle-of-the-road review score will get you laughed out of any serious conversation on the matter.
No, it won't. Especially when the discussion is on how broken the system is. It is is your system if you allow that type of thinking to affect how you review a game. Jim Sterling gave DNF a 2/10. You think he gives a fuck about how Triple A titles are perceived? He played a game and then put a numerical value to what he thought about it. Games should not be treated differently based on how big the people behind the game are. That makes it sound like reviewers are scared to go against them.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Auxiliary said:
They should have brought LA Noire to the PC as well. Point and click adventures are right up our alley.
Second that. Too many companies undermine the PC, and yet are surprised when games like Witcher 2 or Minecraft sell so much. HELLO?! There's actually a really large community of consumers here to target.

On multiplat games that sell on PC as well, that version makes up for a fifth to a third of it's sales. As minimal as that is, for developers to want to drop 20% of potential sales of their games is just really stupid business decisions.

Snowy Rainbow

Jun 13, 2011
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
When 899,000 sales in the space of one month is deemed disappointing, then there's something fucked up with the games industry.
Do you know how much it costs to make a video game? I'll give you a hint: millions upon millions of dollars.

Snowy Rainbow

Jun 13, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:

So you would rather do what you know is flawed because the other guys will laugh at you if you do it the right way?

Maybe it's just me, but I'd take the professional route and not pander to mainstream failings.

sam13lfc

Oct 29, 2008
ABAAAAAAHAHAAHHAHAHAH so glad Duke Nukem's getting slammed by everyone, weird about LA Noire though I thought that would sell big.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Schnapple1 said:
Some number of the 889,000 copies they did sell wouldn't sell because those people pirate it for the PC instead, and if that number is 50,000 then they're better off not putting it on the PC. There are people out there who, if a game is on the PC, then they pirate it for the PC. If it's not then they buy it for the consoles. Lame but true.
It's honestly not that much more of a hoop to jump through to pirate on a console and people will go a long way to not pay money, so if they were going to pirate they would still have done it on a console.

Mathak

The Tax Man Cometh
Mar 27, 2009
What the heck is up with this review score 'discussion'?

Esc: DNF got a score of 5/10, it's a disaster.
Posters: No it's not, 5/10 is 50%! That's average!
E: Yes, but in practise reviewers use 7,5/10 as average, so a 5 is a disaster.
P: Why are you defending a broken system?! 5/10 is clearly average!
E: But we're not talking about the system, we're talking about DNF. It got a 5/10 and in the system that is currently being used, whether that system is good or not, that's a disaster. If we used an actual 0-10 scale it'd get a 2 and still be a disaster.
P: Why are you defending a broken system?!

Just...what?

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Auxiliary said:
Agreed. I hope we get an Ironed out, competent port sometime down the line.

Fuck that Duke Nukem shit for all I care, but LA Noire, a good game, doing poorly is not fair.

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010
Low Key said:
The best thing about the Duke situation is now Take Two can put out their own, hopefully better game. DNF was still basically a 3D Realms product. It was 90% complete when Gearbox finally got it.

It sucks to hear that about LA Noire though. I saw a little bit of a play through and it looked okay. Nice and fluid with decent dialog. One thing it lacked from Heavy Rain was boobs. Maybe that's the key.
Now now, there are naked corpses all over the place in Noire.

SirDerick

Nov 9, 2009
DonTsetsi said:
Because consoles cannot be pirated? Few people would pirate a PC game and wouldn't pirate a console game.
You do know that the console versions of Duke Nukem were being pirated a few days before the PC version right?

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
I was going to actually try this game... because I waited too... however, EVERYWHERE I went, people hammers this game... i just wasn't sure if.... oh well... I was wondering... did our standard went sky high? our taste buds for games numb? Kinda like my stepfather, who smoke too much, and is now bitching about how food is bad and tasteless, and have to "spice up" all the time...

I for one just got told last week for criticizing the trailer of Mass3... on the other hand, I was still playing fallout 3 (the third time around) maybe our standard for games DID went up, and some companies just couldn't keep up? Anyways I still feel guilty, I will go to my friend's to at lease try duke B4 I judge it... Who knows, I after all... loved Bulletstorm... maybe this one could actually top that game...

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
teh_gunslinger said:
As it stands the publisher has just managed to ignore a market that would be very happy to play the game. When I played the game I kept thinking that it would be less bad if I could just have some decent mouse control.

It really is a strange move to ignore a market segment that traditionally have been the home of point and click adventures in favour of a market that is traditionally the home of War of the Broses 2 and Bros Fighting Wars 4.
Indeed, every time I see something about L.A. Noire I think to myself "Self, that sounds like a game you would probably enjoy. Too bad they don't actually want my money!". It doesn't matter how interesting a game sounds, I'm not buying a console to play it, because then my ability to play it would either be massively constrained by other people, or I'd have to basically get my own apartment and all the requisite additional expenses that entails if I was looking to duplicate the user experience I have right now with my PC, where I sit down and use it whenever the hell I want to because it's my PC; no matter how you look at it, it's simply not worth moving out of my current living arrangements just to play a game on my own terms.

Also I shall now be shamelessly stealing and re-purposing "War of the Broses", because that is hilarious (and oh so apt!).

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
I was close to getting LA but then I watched my friend play the game. And saw that it revolved around waiting for controller to rumble pick up item, and then click a and move stick while waiting for controller to rumble. I'll pick up the game later just not at 60, and Duke well, I'll rent it at least. Just for old times sake

Snowy Rainbow

Jun 13, 2011
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Games sell their most in their first week or two, firstly. Secondly, they started work on L.A. Noire seven years ago. If you spend a few million dollars and nearly a decade on developing something and only manage to make a small profit, that's not great.

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
Oddly enough the first thing I thought of after reading this was stock trading. If Duke is able to drive Take-Two's stock price lower someone could make a killing buying it up at a cheaper price only to sell it when Bioshock Infinite or GTA 5 come out.

Food for thought...