E3: Minecraft Coming to Xbox 360 With Kinect

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
Kind of curious if I will have to pay for it since I got it back in alpha, when it said all future expansions and such are free for alpha buyers. Doubt I will get it for free, but would be awesome.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Should be fine on the updates, apparently the free ones are limited in size (and a bit of green can persuade MS to up that limit).

But Minecraft always has small updates so it shouldn't be an issue, probably wont get any mods but when did console players care about that.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I'll keep playing on my PC.

Though i dont see this staying "exclusive" for long. Sony will get it relatively soon.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
I know I'm going to get shit for saying this, but I am really pissed off by this. Not becuase I'm some irrational idiot who thinks that the second a game is on multiple platforms it is ruined. But let's look at the facts; Minecraft an indie game developed by a team of about 6 people that still has a ton of features that need to be implemented before the game is officially released, which is November 11th. Now given that they can't even release a patch on the PC without it fucking up things beyond belief, how the hell are they going to properly develop a game on multiple platforms and still meet that November 11th deadline without things being horribly broken and gimped? Unless Notch breaks his bizarre taboo about hiring more than a handful of people I don't see that happening.

Granted I get why he's doing it since he doesn't want to lose the 360 market, but this doesn't bode well for the game's development.

EDIT: Apparently he got an entirely new team working on the 360 version so this won't be nearly as big of an issue as I initially thought. Did not expect that but it's a damn good thing.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Now if I happened to get the kinect as a birthday present or something, I can definitely see myself buying and using this often. Seems like it would be loads of fun.

Don't think it's enough to get me to buy kinect on its own though...

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Minecraft is written in Java, which isn't supported on the Xbox as far as I know. Presumably that means that whoever is making it for XBLA will have to either remake each update in C# or not update it at all.

That will cause one hell of a lot of issues.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Thats great.. Now can we get things like Furniture, NPCs, and all the other things the game needs before its considered finished instead of trying to port it to every friggen platform?

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Iamaglassoftea said:
No thanks, I already bought it once. Seeing as how I doubt porting it to Xbox will expand it's functionality beyond the inability to play online without paying for it, I'll stick to the PC.
Seriously, though. You could run Minecraft on a calculator, if you wanted, aside from vastly limiting yourself and others enjoyment of the game why would you play it on anything else?
As long as it isn't a netbook. They just don't have the open GL support or indeed the processing power to run minecraft. I have no idea how they are getting it to run on an Ipad or a damn phone.

Will there be multiplayer? Minecraft isn't exactly competitive, though griefing can be, perhaps there could be cross platform SMP? You'd have to setup your own server with a whitelist but it seems feasible.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
texture packs, mods, skins, and custom maps are all pretty important to the minecraft experiance...Dunno how that will wok out on the xbox.

Oh and I hoe notch doesnt start making changes to the PC version to accommodate the xbox, that would just be lame.

Innegativeion said:
Now if I happened to get the kinect as a birthday present or something, I can definitely see myself buying and using this often. Seems like it would be loads of fun.

Don't think it's enough to get me to buy kinect on its own though...
Hmmm I foresee RSI in your future... I just looked at my stats and since getting mincraft a few weeks ago I have mined 25,000 blocks of stone alone... just think of all the silly arm waving....

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Yes! I hopevits released on disc, because I haven't had much luck with hooking the ol' Xbox up to the 'net. This is very good news indeed. I'm glad that Notch saw sense.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
I?m OK with this.

I own it on the PC, but for some reason, it has trouble playing on my laptop (Which is rather new)

Provided Microsoft allows the free updates and the like, I don?t really see the problem.

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
Mantonio said:
Why not? Because Microsoft forbid developers who use their console to release more than one free update or piece of DLC.

That's why TF2 on 360 is so behind, for example.
Bull + Shit

Final Fantasy XI is released on the Xbox 360, it has massive updates every 3 months which bring in new areas, monsters, spells, level caps etc etc and to top it all off you don't even need a Gold subscription to play it online.

Whoever said Microsoft "forbids" patching/updates was probably lying through his teeth to justify his respective publisher/developer not giving a shit.

Internet Kraken said:
Now given that they can't even release a patch on the PC without it fucking up things beyond belief, how the hell are they going to properly develop a game on multiple platforms and still meet that November 11th deadline without things being horribly broken and gimped?
Every new patch fucks things up beyond belief because mods are not officially supported by mojang. IT'S A BETA. Every mod added outright alters the .jar file instead of working as an extended/seperate class entity. I'm sure once the game is in its retail and final state there will be concessions made for mods, but until then don't expect Notch to jump through hoops accomodating every Tom, Dick and Harry who feels like making a mod.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
imnotparanoid said:
Well, Fortress craft is fucked thats for sure.
*EVil grin*
My thoughts too, which is a shame because it's actually pretty good (for an indie game) if you ignore the constant cry of "RIP OFF. I HOPE THESE GUYS GET SUED DURR HURR HURR".
I prefer to think there's room for both games and for minecraft fans on both systems... it won't work out that way unfortunately.
I'm still happy to be able to play it at all, my laptop definitely can't handle it.

etherlance

Apr 1, 2009
Thats sounds ok.

I always wanted to give the game a try but don't have a laptop or pc thats capable of playing it.

(Actually my laptop probably can play it but I won't download it for fear that the internet potatoe soldiers will come and arrest the laptop).

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Now what will the X-box people make... besides about 55 million Master chief sculptures?

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Deshin said:
Every new patch fucks things up beyond belief because mods are not officially supported by mojang. IT'S A BETA. Every mod added outright alters the .jar file instead of working as an extended/seperate class entity. I'm sure once the game is in its retail and final state there will be concessions made for mods, but until then don't expect Notch to jump through hoops accomodating every Tom, Dick and Harry who feels like making a mod.
When did I ever say I was talking about mods? I was talking about the base game being riddled with more bugs than an ant nest. Which even in an update designed to fix bugs happens in truly embarrassing numbers.