E3: Nintendo's New Console Is: The Wii U

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
Man, I've always wanted somebody to come along and make a mobile gaming device that wasn't actually mobile!

I mean, how about that 6" screen?

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Plinglebob said:
Ok, I may be being stupid, but is the Wii U just the controller or are they releasing new Wii hardware along with it as that what things seem to be suggesting, but they've only mentioned the controller.
From what I saw, it looks like they are releasing new hardware as well, it just wasn't the focus. I mean, how else could the thing play something like Aliens: Colonial Marines streaming on the controller thing without having updated hardware to go along with it, eh?

Sougo

Mar 20, 2010
WiiU? Well, Wii don't want it, so U keep it.

Damn, replacing one of whose controllers is gonna cost 90% of the console price.
I think putting these many gizmos on the controller is also gonna make it heavier, and its grip is gonna be uncomfortable for playing long hours, not to mention that the controller will be very delicate.

Also, if all this is in the controller, the actual console is nothing but a tv attachment with Wifi?

Damn it Nintendo, what the hell are you trying to do?

Marudas

Jul 8, 2010
I'm confused, I thought Nintendo was making a console with more power to appeal to gamers. This seems like anything but that. I'm interested to see who they market it to.

From a specs standpoint...meh. I can't outright say that i think the "you can use it as a TV!" is stupid- In my family, we always had at least 2 or 3 TV's in our house, and one of them was usually dedicated to game consoles. And that was a while ago, from my perspective, having multiple TV's is a slight more common nowadays (at least, the tuners that let you watch your programs on different TVs in the same house lead me to come to that conclusion.) So from my perspective, this functionality is kinda lame.

This product merely confuses me. I don't know what they were going for. My imagination is not up to the task of thinking what you could do with this random amalgamation of hardware.

Thank god, I got through an entire comment without mentioning how stupid the name is. ...Crap.

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
Watch it be the Wii all over again.
Naysayers will appear at first.
The console will become extremely successful.
Naysayers will look stupid while everyone else enjoys the heck out of the console.
And as usual, Nintendo provides us with a unique controller.
I'm pumped.

Edit: Also, SMASH BROS AND LUIGI'S MANSION 2!
Thank you so much, Nintendo!

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
...Wii U, Wii U... walk like Mario... (sung to the tune of 'Walk Like an Egyptian' by the Bangles)

Sorry, but that's what popped into my head. I suppose everyone mocked the name 'Wii' originally.

I'd be far more interested in what the game lineup is at this point: after all, that was the weakness of the Wii, really... of course, Wii Sports kept everybody distracted long enough for it to be successful.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
fer- said:
wonder how long until sony and m$ take to get touch screens on their controllers
i'm hoping, forever. it adds bulk to the controller, which they don't need. plus it's only decent uses would be in the organisation of the inventory, maybe navigating menus. if touchscreens try to muscle in on the actual gameplay, i do not see it merging well at all...

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
it's better than "wii^2" ("wii wii") i guess... I suppose it's cool, you can use the small screen to play games... wow, the console sends the game image like a digital streaming to the screen on control pad... nice going!

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
As much as I love Nintendo, no one's gonna call them creative with names.

Still, new Nintendo console! YAY!
And nice looking launch lineup.

Alright, now release it!

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
The controller looks uncomfortable as hell, though it does offer some possibilities in game design...

But what's it gonna cost?

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
WEEOO WEEOO WEEOO WEEOO! Sounds like a European police siren. Were they just trying to find the most ridiculous name possible?

It has good versatility, but a lot of the features shown are gimmicky. What do I care? I don't buy nintendo anyway, I'm not their market and that's ok.

Arisato-kun

Apr 22, 2009
Selvec said:
Yopaz said:
Micalas said:
Yopaz said:
Selvec said:
Finish this sentence. "An Ambulance goes..."
Seems like I was ninja'd...

As were I. Yes Wii were. But mostly U.
At least they gave us a name we can laugh at again. Now let's watch the fanboys rage over how the name is great and make us laugh more!

Arisato-kun said:
I'm just gonna say Nintendo won E3. Third party support looks great and I'm pumped for the new Smash Bros.

Also get over the name people. What are you, 4?
Dun Dun DUUUUUUNNNNNN!!!!
Never said the name was great. Truth be told it's stupid. But I'm not going to mock it.

Also, Sony fanboy here. ;)

Helios_(DEL)

Mar 22, 2010
therandombear said:
Darth Sea Bass said:
So when are they actually announcing the console to go with the controller?

That's the Wii U...looks like a snes...me like
Omfg i sware they didnt show that image during E3 nintendo i was wondering about the tower.

HDi

Aug 23, 2010
If it's good enough for Ken Levine to be excited then I'm certainly more than a little interested.