E3: Nintendo's New Console Is: The Wii U

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
TotalHobNob said:
Let the "WiiU" jokes begin. :p
Sometimes... just sometimes... something is so stupid that no joke exists that could be anything but a hollow shell of the original lunacy.

This is one of those times.

Helios_(DEL)

Mar 22, 2010
Raesvelg said:
The controller looks uncomfortable as hell, though it does offer some possibilities in game design...

But what's it gonna cost?
I cant belive its over 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Imagine Pokemon on this thing

*goes into a dream land*

Also these WiiU Jokes are awesome xD

Now...how about Chase Mii jokes? :p

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
therandombear said:

That's the Wii U...looks like a snes...me like
What are you smoking, boy? The SNES top loaded, and it was purple and gray. This thing looks like a 360 and GladOS got their groove on.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Can Wii really say Nintendo won E3? Sure they had more new hardwear to announce. So on a technical standpoint, yes they "won" but its still a dissapointing year. Some awesome new games of corse, I'm all for Darksiders 2 and Sly 4, but othwerwise its a lackluster shit year. Until I hear of some more exiting games that I couldn't easily get on my PS3 or my brothers Xbox360, the "third party" support isn't going to convince me.

Next years E3, we might finally hear the development of the next thing in graphics. I wouldn't mind if they held off on gimics, but if they can bring me a rich experience like that unreal demo I watched a few months ago, then maybe we'll reach a plateau and just focus on making games. All I want to do is play games, give me a system that can play me good games with amazing graphics, and a controller that doesn't look like something I should be using as a dinner tray, and I'll be set.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Nintendo win the E3 for me, Microsoft was kinect and halo, Sony was better then Microsoft with the Vita, but Nintedo just won it for me tbh.

Luigis Mansion 2, Super Smash bro on 3DS and Wii u, Tekken 3D on 3DS, assassins creed, darksiders 2, ghost recon, Super Mario 3D, 3D mario kart and more zelda <3

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
OK, so the little white box is called WiiU, which is growing on me, I have to say.

Thing is the controller needs a better name than

"The New Controller"

It doesn't trip off the tongue, and what happens when there's another controller after that?

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
This sounds rather lackluster. It may be the lack of a new name (PlayStation still gets a pass because that's it's thing.), or the lack of GameCube compatibility (Once in a while, I get the urge to play Super Mario Sunshine. REMEMBER THAT, NINTENDO?!), or the controller ("No more gimmicks?" says Nintendo, "Oh, sorry. I thought you said 'MORE GIMMICKS!'")

fer-

Apr 26, 2011
suitepee7 said:
fer- said:
wonder how long until sony and m$ take to get touch screens on their controllers
i'm hoping, forever. it adds bulk to the controller, which they don't need. plus it's only decent uses would be in the organisation of the inventory, maybe navigating menus. if touchscreens try to muscle in on the actual gameplay, i do not see it merging well at all...
exactly! get rid of all that annoying junk on the big screen related to meta game activities and move it all to the smaller, closer, touch screen in your hands

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
Jabberwock King said:
So instead of coming out with an actual "new console" they come out with what is more appropriately described as a peripheral meant to compete with Microsoft and Sony's system upgrades. It makes a lot more sense than what I was thinking would happen. Nintendo gets to release new hardware without exposing themselves to being severely outclassed by their rivals next console. It's good to know that I don't have get this thing to play Skyward Sword, as I would have skipped out on it otherwise. Guess I'll have to wait a little longer for the death of Nintendo by their own incompetence, oh well.

Edit: Wait, I know that this new controller has HD graphics, but does this mean that the Wii itself still puts shitty graphics on my TV?
*facepalm*

I am stunned at how many people lack even the most basic logical abilities. WiiU is not a peripheral, it is a new console. The Wii has neither the processing power, nor the wireless hardware to do what they showed. Its not that hard to figure out people.

stewox

Dec 25, 2009
AHAAHAHA I BLASTED OUT WITH LAUGHTER .... WiiU. GESUNDHEIT HAHAHAH!

for those that don't know ... it's what you say when someone sneezes , but this is in a different context

Wolf Devastator

Doomsday Arcade Fanatic
Nov 12, 2008
therandombear said:
Nintendo win the E3 for me, Microsoft was kinect and halo, Sony was better then Microsoft with the Vita, but Nintedo just won it for me tbh.

Luigis Mansion 2, Super Smash bro on 3DS and Wii u, Tekken 3D on 3DS, assassins creed, darksiders 2, ghost recon, Super Mario 3D, 3D mario kart and more zelda <3
Agreed. If they announced Pikmin 3 I would've had a nerdgasm.

I went into it preparing to be disappointed, then they announced the name to confirm my suspicion, but then they showed the gameplay...

Wow.

Please Nintendo, I abandoned you years ago, don't make me come back!

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Whilst I'll admit that the console does looks impressive, the announcement of new HD graphics just makes me think 'Welcome to 2007'

Jabberwock King

Mar 27, 2011
Marudas said:
From a specs standpoint...meh. I can't outright say that i think the "you can use it as a TV!" is stupid- In my family, we always had at least 2 or 3 TV's in our house, and one of them was usually dedicated to game consoles. And that was a while ago, from my perspective, having multiple TV's is a slight more common nowadays (at least, the tuners that let you watch your programs on different TVs in the same house lead me to come to that conclusion.) So from my perspective, this functionality is kinda lame.
It doesn't make much sense from an American perspective, but the screen switch functionality is more likely meant to appeal to Japanese families and lower income households where having the space or disposable income for multiple TVs is a significant luxury.

walrusaurus said:
Jabberwock King said:
So instead of coming out with an actual "new console" they come out with what is more appropriately described as a peripheral meant to compete with Microsoft and Sony's system upgrades. It makes a lot more sense than what I was thinking would happen. Nintendo gets to release new hardware without exposing themselves to being severely outclassed by their rivals next console. It's good to know that I don't have get this thing to play Skyward Sword, as I would have skipped out on it otherwise. Guess I'll have to wait a little longer for the death of Nintendo by their own incompetence, oh well.

Edit: Wait, I know that this new controller has HD graphics, but does this mean that the Wii itself still puts shitty graphics on my TV?
*facepalm*

I am stunned at how many people lack even the most basic logical abilities. WiiU is not a peripheral, it is a new console. The Wii has neither the processing power, nor the wireless hardware to do what they showed. Its not that hard to figure out people.
I got a straight answer to that question after seeing someone post a picture of the actual tower further into the thread, thank you very much. I came to my original conclusion after seeing the thing as being compatible with other Wii products. Anyway, I retract my earlier observation about Nintendo covering themselves from a console counter-attack, it is going to get crushed by leaps and bounds!

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
I actually thought it was quite good. The main reason is that way back when the wii was first announced they just showed the actual console, no games and no details, and that is better than showing all features, the launch titles and SMASH BROS but with no console

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I have no problem with the name and as weird as the new controller looks(and as unimpressive as the new console itself looks), I still liked it. I would have preferred more solid release dates or a price, but all in all I'm pleased with the Nintendo conference.