E3: Nintendo's New Console Is: The Wii U

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
Um...okay. That's...certainly...something...um...what? Obviously I have no idea what they are planning with this, but I don't think it's going to work out for them.

Also, is this a new console, or an expansion to the Wii?

antigodoflife

Nov 12, 2009
Yeah, because I'm lazy, for me anyway, this will just be called the Wuu. Like my sarcastic response after seeing this.

RADlTZ

Nov 19, 2009
I actually really like the direction they seem to be going with this, or at least the direction Nintendo wants people to think their going with the Wii-U (wtf name is that, should have called it the WiiWii so i could make french jokes).

They seem to be trying to reach out to the hardcore audience and third-party developers while keeping their'everyone can play' image, pleasing casual and hardcore people will be hard but its ages away from release so we'll see how things develope.

Bringing the EA CEO out must have had EA's public relations team cackaling at the deliciousness of having someone in charge who can address a gameing audience (imagine if they brought Kottic out). And for Nintendo it really pushes the 3rd party idea, plus theyll still have the best 1st party games in the industry. Arkham city, Assassins Creed and Ninja Gaiden 3 seems like a powerhouse lineup for 3rd party, even though the WiiWii will get them after 360/PS3, it still shows that Nintendo are going to try and take on the big hitter titles.

Although im not convinced that Nintendo can pull off what they seem to be promising, i think its a great move in the right direction for the company, especially when you consider the bullshit Microsoft and Sony are getting into with their system add-on gimmicks.

(Anyone else think that the head of Nintendo-America looked like a dark-skinned Marshal from 'How I met your mother'? also the reaction of the guy in the promo for the controller screen webcam chat - "CYCLING SOUNDS AWESOME!!!")

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
I want to like this, I like the idea of having the ds bottom in my hands and then playing games on the big screen. However depending on what xbox and sony come up with this console could get out right brutally, no restraint, slaughtered. We are talking a blood mist here(as far as technology and advancing the culture is concerned).

Sure it will sell, just like the wii sold. If it's only better than last gen instead of being full bore next generation, why would anyone support it. Aside from the Nintendo staples where would this console be if the following 4 games went multi platform Mario, Legend of Zelda, Metroid and Super smash Bros?

It's almost a back assward copy of what Microsoft did this generation, except instead of being upper middle powerful and releasing early it is releasing early and being bottom of the barrel. Sure it will have better version of games made for 6 year old consoles, until X and S kick down the door with high end tech meant to last until 2019-2020.

Not looking good.

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
G Skunk said:
Time until unveiling of Sony Playstation U or Microsoft XBox U: T-minus...

And yeah, don't say Sony and Microsoft have "too much sense" not to do it, fanboys, not after Kinekt and Move.
Well, while move was a flop, kinect actually had good sales, even if peter molyneux pulled his dumbass act on it, trying to hype it up more than it needed.

Either way this looks dumb.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
And somewhere the last lonely hardcore gamer that was holding out hope for Nintendo just made sure the hose was attached properly, shut the garage door, and started the car.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
It looks... interesting. Though such gimmicks won't really get me on board. How's the battery life going to be on that controller? Will it stand up to an eight hour gaming session? What's the point of console gaming if you're just going to give it handheld functionality as well? Sure, it'll sit well with families who have to share a TV and have only the WiiU but I don't see why you can't just own a 3DS and play that when your parents want to watch some primetime TV...

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
Kwil said:
Grond Strong said:
No. Full HD now. And it's been announced that Batman Arkham City is coming out for it, so it's got some power beyond the graphics under the hood as well.
Well remember that the wii had alot of shitty ports for multi-platform games. Take CoD, for example, wii got releases of that series, and while it isnt perfect anyway, the wii version looks like Duke Nukem 3D in comparison. Just because something is getting a port doesnt mean it will be a perfect copy, like usually happens with Ps3 and Xbox games that are on both consoles.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
It looks incredibly lame, gimmicky and uninteresting to me. At least, IMHO, Kinect was moving things forward a little. This just seems like another shiny toy we'll all forget about in a few years.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
It looks really, really interesting. There seems to be a lot of potential to do both familiar and new types of games on it, it's hard to tell where it will go at this point since there weren't any games shown for it, but it's a good start.

What disappointed me about it was 1. Crappy ass name 2. No pricing 3. No first party titles announced for it, save for a hint at Smash Bros.

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
mikozero said:
dragongit said:
... But its just a wii, with new graphics and an Ipad to play with.Its like Nintendo really isn't trying anymore...
its a trap!

to get MS and Sony to stepping to the true 8th console generation before them...

console generation launches are a race to be last.
Didnt MS or Sony (cant remember which, might even have been both) say they werent thinking about any new consoles until 2013-2014?

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
WiiU? More like WTF guys. I mean, come on. Call it the SBNC. Super Bad(ass) Nintendo Console. At least S.B.N.C. is pronounceable. Or the NGNC; Next Generation Nintendo Console. Or PNPC Portable Nintendo Pad Console. See? Its not that hard to make up good names. (Sort of good that is)