E3: Nintendo's New Console Is: The Wii U

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
Well, after watching the whole thing- not impressed. Yes, this thing opens up tons of possibilities, but are any of them actually good?

There has yet to be a game that has actually delivered on the Wii's original promise. Even Nintendo's first party efforts quickly shifted to more traditional control setups with the occasional gimmick and a quick waggle being used as an extra button.

Meanwhile, this console will get third party support for about a year, after which the 720 and PS4 will be out, leaving the WEEEEEOOOOO as the "too weak to port to" console once again.

What this thing really needs is a first-party game at launch that uses it's supposed revolutions as an integral part of a cohesive core gaming experience. Nintendo can't do what they did with the Wii and say "Okay, we made a revolutionary controller! Now somebody figure out what to do with it. Please?" They need to set an example to convince gamers that the hardware has potential, and they need to set an example for third party developers to follow. Particularly when it comes to production values. They need to make sure that the real talent is pitching WEEEEOOOOO games to investors instead of people pulling the short straw and being assigned to make more shovelware for it.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Gameboy and Gameboy colour games on 3DS?!?!?!?!?!

Pokemon Yellow in 3D...NOW!

EDIT: it's repeating itself...woops xD

EDIT2: wrong thread...my bad :$

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
TotalHobNob said:
Let the "WiiU" jokes begin. :p
NO U
That's all I got. Say what you want about Nintendo, it's shit like this that keeps them looking cool.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
A square controller? No thank you. I don't care if it has a screen, that seems freaking uncomfortable.

darksakul

Old Man? I am not that old .....
Jun 14, 2008
The Wii U, more like Pii U.

Nintendo you are not even trying any more, an non portable version of the DS.
That is great, would you for your next trick make some original IP that would actually be good for once. No more Zelda, Mario, Kirby, Pokemon, Star Fox, Donkey Kong, Metroid, Smash Bros, Mother/Earth Bound or Animal Crossing. Up to the SNES day you guys were brimming with creativity.
It sloped off and it slopped off bad during the N64 days. With the Wii, what the hell?

You are not even trying any more Nintendo, Wii U? Is that the best name you can come up with?
I hope you got some new IP that makes up for the sorry name and premiss of this new system.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I would have loved it if Nintendo actually demonstrated to us what the hell this thing can do. There was nothing that we hadn't seen before, all but one game (Luigi's Mansion 2) were games we already knew were coming out. There was no demonstration as to how this new controller thingamabob would work which I find very disappointing.

This could be pretty interesting, but I find it odd how they are concentrating on the controller more than the actual console. The controller looks neat n' all, but there was absolutely no games that were demonstrated on the console itself. Hell, they didn't even show a picture of the console.

I was never much of a Nintendo gamer anyway, so this doesn't really appeal to me. It still looks pretty interesting, and it'll be cool to see what developers come up with when using the thing. We'll just have to wait and see.

bob-2000

Jun 28, 2009
mad825 said:
Oh, how original!

seriously, this marketing campaign is get far more pretentious than Apple's and that's saying something.
"Maybe if we just add random extra letters on a white background, people will think its a different product!"

meepop

Aug 18, 2009
So lemme get this straight. They named their latest console...After the noise a siren makes. Ok then.

OT: This is cool. So it's essentially Wii + Controller to the power of iPad? Well then. I have mixed feelings about it. I need to know the games available before I decide if this is going on my "End of the World" wishlist (Sarcasm at its best).

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
Plinglebob said:
Ok, I may be being stupid, but is the Wii U just the controller or are they releasing new Wii hardware along with it as that what things seem to be suggesting, but they've only mentioned the controller.
There will be new hardware with it. From what I saw in the trailer for it, it looks like a small dvd player. Obviously meant to be forgotten about until you need to change disks and such, somewhat like the Wii.

Apr 15, 2009
I'm sorry, but I don't know how I'm supposed to play with this brick of a controller.

Seriously, it's a controller and it's bigger then both the PSP and the DS. What the hell?
I realy hope they change it, because as gimmicky as it is I don't think this appeals to either the core audience or the casual audience.

It looks even ridiculous for a handheld system, I'm not a fan of the Ipad but it was at least slick, this looks like a fake Ipad you would find in a Hongkong tech store.
A small screen is okay, like the Dreamcast had, but why would I need a giant screen on my controller, I'm going to be looking at the TV, right?

Just looks like Nintendo are trying to appeal to everyone and top of that trying to shove in as many gimmicks as possible in the system.

I'd say have a more slick and comfortable controller that doesn't have a giant screen on it, at the very least I hope that they release another version of the controller for the Wii U, but what would be best is to throw this controller in the trash where it belongs and make something better like the case with the first PS3 controller.

ReaperzXIII

Jan 3, 2010
Oh great now a controller that will end up costing as much as an actual console, I doubt a controller with a HD screen, motion sensors and wifi is going to be cheap and that just alienates the people who want to play with a lot of people which is normally what the wii is for.

Either way I gave up on Nintendo after I got my 360 and allowed my Wii to die in the corner.

Adam28

Feb 28, 2011
The screen looks like it will be useful but seriously guys, look how horrible that controller is. Guess they could release alternative controllers but so far.... how meh.

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
I am intrigued. This thing could cross the line between the Game Boy and the full blown Console. Also an integrated controller camera opens up possiblities for Alternate Reality games. The future will be the ultimate judge of this, but for now all I can say is "Well played Nintendo, well played indeed."

Tourmeta

Apr 25, 2011
Well I would guess the Vita can do the same stuff considering PSP already had some PS3 Streaming functionality.

VGC USpartan VS

Feb 14, 2011
Nintendo, I am dissapoint. You just made your console SOMEHOW even more for casual gamers. Not to mention it's really just seems like Nintendo isn't trying any more.

TRR

Jul 21, 2008
Like at least a dozen other people, I'm looking at that controller and saying: that thing has got to be really expensive and damned uncomfortable. It's like an upgraded, and more oblong Gameboy advanced. If I haven't said this before I'm saying it now; Nintendo does not make game consoles, it just makes boxes of stuff and gimmicks.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
This honestly feels like they are just catching up to Sony and Mircrosft as far as HD systems goes....
In 3 or 4 years when Sony and Microsoft release their new systems, the WiiU (terrible name) is going to seem obsolete.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
I laughed at the name. But, I am looking forward to playing it on day, just to see....