EA Aims to "Broaden" Dead Space Audience

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
Eh, we knew it was gonna end up like this since the early days of Dead Space 2 development.

The mindset that "we need to keep bringing in new customers constantly or else we'll instantly abandon this IP" needs to stop. How about start by focusing less on graphics, cinematics, and for the love of god MULTIPLAYER, and start focusing on making a tighter, more scary game on a lower budget.

But we all know this will never happen, because it's more profitable to claim the widest audience you can. I wish niche AAA games were still a thing.

Also fucking Christ who is doing EA's PR and why aren't they fired? Do they honestly think gamers are going to be exited that they announced this?

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
I apologetically love the Dead Space series. I know its not very scary, and I know the plot isn't very compelling, but there's something about the lore that really draws to me. I loved Dead Space 1, and I really liked Dead Space 2, but if Dead Space 3 would be the last title of the series...

I'd be fine with that.

It had a good run, and not every series deserves yearly iterations like AC or CoD. Maybe it's time to give the sci-fi horror spotlight to another series, one we haven't seen before. Issac has had a good run. Let him see the end of it.

Sep 24, 2008
Lugbzurg said:
Atmos Duality said:
EA,

Do you want to know how to ruin the appeal of a horror game? There are many ways, but subtracting any sense of vulnerability from the protagonist is a pretty good one.
Exactly. This is why I don't consider Left 4 Dead to be a survival horror game. It's fun, but, there's no horror whatsoever, and no survival elements, either.
Not on topic, but I'd like to address this.

Left 4 Dead is very much impossible to beat alone. Very much. With a good team, yeah, you're freaking unstoppable and you're going for time.

But on Expert. Your goodness does not matter. You will be over run. You will run in fear because those zombies are relentless and you will accidently down your teammate. You might get out of there alive, but you will be alone. You'll hear a music cue. you won't know where it's coming from.. then you see your self trapped under a hunter as it slowly claws you to death.

Survival is sticking with the group. Survival is keeping the group alive and hoping the other side as similar notions.

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
Rocklobster99 said:
If there's one thing you can say about EA, it's that they never stop trying, even if it doesn't work.
W
T
F

Please tell me this is fake.

Also, captcha is "time lord" Ha!

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Karadalis said:
But the artistic integrity!

You cant change a friggin ending of a video game but you can turn a video game franchise upside down and turn it from something good into something mediocre?
Oh stop being so entitled (sarcasm)

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
I see a lot of people quite upset and seemingly assured the game will be bad, despite never having played it or seen much in the way of actual gameplay. Perhaps hyperbole and knee-jerk acid spitting isn't the way to go, guys.

Tamrin

Nov 12, 2011
Dr. McD said:
Actually, they spent that money on advertising. Yes, as in advertising brought to you by the guys who thought "your mom will hate Dead Space" was a good idea.
I'll be that guy here and just say that was better than Twisted Metal's, "Your Girlfriend Will Suck Your ****". Talk about broken promises. :(

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
As I said before and when mass effect 3 came out

for the love of talos/celestia/arceus...
FREAKING BOYCOTT EA

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
"Broaden"? So, what- they're marketing to the rest of the solar system now? Dead Space 2 had a pretty broad intended audience as it was.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Now Dead Space isn't scary at all, but I enjoyed the first game enough and felt the sequel was excellent in improving all aspects of it (Isaac is actually one of my favorite protagonists now).

Fuck EA, the moment I heard "co-op for Dead Space 3" I knew it was because of them, I prayed that it was wasn't but, I knew the truth. They do everything solely for profit and cheapen the value of gaming.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
While I'm not yet convinced that Dead Space 3 is going to flat out suck, I'm definitely beginning to have my doubts. Putting it on a planet covered in ice; great! It'll be even more like "The Thing" than it already was, which is a good thing. However, the new character... well, just because he's a soldier doesn't mean he's going to be a grumbly Marcus Fenix "GRRRRRR" type soldier, but it definitely could. There are so many wrong ways to handle this, but it could still turn out alright. Besides, who DOESN'T want more adventures featuring the Ancient God of Dismemberment, with his essence stored in the body of a futuristic engineer with a classy suit?

OT: 5 million copies... you want to sell... 5... million... copies.
If EA were a person, I'd smack them in the face.
Assuming they still had a face, after the Mass Effect fanbase got to them.

Emiscary

Sep 7, 2008
I hadn't considered it up until now, but it's an absolute certainty that the "big reveal" about the Necromorphs/Unitologists/Space Krishna? (the story never made alot of sense) will be completely asinine.

My money's on Isaac & Butch (no idea what the pointlessly macho sidekick's name is) finding out that the Unitologists went back in time to create the first marker found by Micheal Altman- who is in fact a Necromorph. Whaaat!?

Seems appropriately circuitous and nonsensical.

bat32391

Oct 19, 2011
When I hear EA says it "wants to expand its audience" with a certain game all I think of is them screwing up another decent franchise.

bat32391

Oct 19, 2011
Hannibal942 said:
Rocklobster99 said:
If there's one thing you can say about EA, it's that they never stop trying, even if it doesn't work.
W
T
F

Please tell me this is fake.

Also, captcha is "time lord" Ha!
Nope! This crap is real.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
A moment of silence for the fans of this franchise, and the franchise itself...

Truly sorry for the fans of this franchise, I know exactly how you feel. My beloved Need For Speed franchise died a while ago too, it's not the first time EA has tried to milk a great franchise dry by making it more "Appealing", and then turning it into a pile of horseshit. I wasn't exactly a fan of Dead Space myself, wasn't quite my taste, but I feel for the fans, and I'm right there with them.

Honestly, fuck this turd of a company. I really do hope they get smacked in the face by a shovel, hopefully by the failing of Dead Space 3, I hope. They haven't taken a single step forward. Instead, they've been literally running backwards for years now. I just hope that soon they'll fall off a cliff.

The industry isn't dying because of Pirates, it's dying because idiotic assholes like these people are trying to force things onto games and the people who play these games.

5 Million units? Yeah no problem. Just make it Origin exclusive with some stupid commercials and it'll be a hit.

FUCK YOU EA!

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Oh, fuck you EA you killed Dead Space! Fuck you!

EA is turning into the next Atari; sooner or later it's all gonna come crashing down.

Captcha: Easy as cake

Valve might pull a Nintendo and resurrect the games industry after finally releasing half-life 3.

Eveonline100

Feb 20, 2011
Stemer said:
How is this even possible.
People in the thread are saying that the first 2 Dead Space games sold about 2 million copies each, but Human Revolution also sold about 2 million copies and it made massive profits.
Are EA just really bad at accounting?
blame EA spending more on marketing than anything else