EA Exec: Xbox One and PS4 Are "A Generation Ahead" Of PC

TheComfyChair

Sep 17, 2010
Compare the specs given earlier to the ones for the hd7970:http://www.anandtech.com/show/5261/amd-radeon-hd-7970-review

it's over a year old and it's twice as powerful at least as the ps4, never mind the xbone. So, yeah.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
While I can't speak to the quality of the 8-core CPUs in these things, I can definitely say that my GTX 660 Ti pretty readily beats both consoles' listed graphics specs. I wouldn't be surprised if my i5-3570k (stock clocks) beats these things in raw processing power either. I've also got 16GB of DDR3 1600, more than either console.

The thing is, I don't have the highest of even consumer end in absolutely any spec, yet I still seem to be ahead of both the PS4 and the Xbox One in almost every way (PS4 uses faster GDDR5 RAM than my DDR3). Unless AMD has done something utterly revolutionary with their APU and the way it integrates CPU and GPU (unlikely, as AMD isn't particularly good at revolutionizing anything these days), there's no way in hell it's gonna get the results they claim. At best, they've avoided bandwidth and bus speed issues, but that's relatively insignificant compared to the actual abilities of the individual parts.

P.S. Thanks

Buccura

Aug 13, 2009
The only possible response I can think of to that statement is this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYbetvkPA6I

Seriously, do these people listen to themselves when they talk?

Edit: Actually, what did Sony claim the PS3 would do? "Render PC gaming moot"? Yeah, that's cute.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
In other news my spit has the power to turn lead into gold.

What you ask for evidence? Why would I give you any when the EA execs can come out and make a bold unsubstantiated claim without as much as a detailed comparison graph clearly showing that the X1 and the PS4 both outshine the average gaming PC in hardware based on a wide analysis of thousands of PC owners reporting their specs.

Though this is quite obvious the same bullshit as the BF3 VS COD thing both activision and EA were playing up to mad degrees. The way you make money is by dividing fan bases based on the game or console they like rather than making judgement based on quality of product.

It's an easy and underhanded way to ensure people will buy your stuff just to show those other guys who's best.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Here's the thing, even if I my current PC didn't already outstrip both those consoles, for the $600 they would charge me I could upgrade what I have to outstrip them.

Also, is this a subtle condemnation of their own Origin service for PC's?

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
This is what? like the 10th time some industry idiot has made this pointless claim?

Seems kind of redundant to continue even mentioning these moronic quotes.

cidbahamut

Mar 1, 2010
Louzerman102 said:
Everyone is missing the main point of this article. The hidden kernel of truth under the PR bullshit.

EA doesn't understand computers.

Everything makes sense now. That's why EA is EA.
Someone give this man an internet because he just won the thread.

thanatopsis112

May 20, 2010
Ok well i guess i get to be the old fart in the room who talks about history and longstanding popular ideals of gaming systems vs PC's. Simply put the long running Wisdom for all previous generations of gaming systems is that they beat the PC for high end graphics for the first year or two of their release and then fall behind there after, for the most part this is true, that being said its not because they were ever more powerful than their PC counterparts its because they were custom built to run games and render graphics, where PC's were designed to do a whole lot more. In that thought process a Gaming system may be "More Powerful" than a PC but in reality no. Is this Hyperbol from EA sure but its not some complete lie or fabrication just the standard Marketing exaggeration that always happens.

oh and to the people who talk about how its still only rendering out at 30 fps or 60 fps just remember it needs to render out at the video standards that your tv accepts not what a regular monitor can do.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Covarr said:
While I can't speak to the quality of the 8-core CPUs in these things, I can definitely say that my GTX 660 Ti pretty readily beats both consoles' listed graphics specs. I wouldn't be surprised if my i5-3570k (stock clocks) beats these things in raw processing power either. I've also got 16GB of DDR3 1600, more than either console.

The thing is, I don't have the highest of even consumer end in absolutely any spec, yet I still seem to be ahead of both the PS4 and the Xbox One in almost every way (PS4 uses faster GDDR5 RAM than my DDR3). Unless AMD has done something utterly revolutionary with their APU and the way it integrates CPU and GPU (unlikely, as AMD isn't particularly good at revolutionizing anything these days), there's no way in hell it's gonna get the results they claim. At best, they've avoided bandwidth and bus speed issues, but that's relatively insignificant compared to the actual abilities of the individual parts.

P.S. Thanks
Those 8 core CPUs are still laptop architecture processors, a good quad or hex(six) core from AMD or Intel is roundly going to smash those console ones. Pretty much anything that is the same as the AMD Phenom II x4s or above or an Intel I5 sandybridge and above are going to outpace those consoles. Those two processors above are not e even new, both companies have newer and faster processors available.

TheComfyChair

Sep 17, 2010
Covarr said:

P.S. Thanks
An i5 3570k is 4x faster than the consoles on the cpu front :) remember, phones can have 8 core processors and they arent going to be beating a desktop. Anandtech have recently done a preview of the performance of jaguar cpus and they are good for their market. But their market is netbooks and tablets.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
Diablo1099 said:
Even though I don't have a Gaming PC, I can imagine that someone spending a crap ton of money on constantly upgrading his rig would be ahead of a new console released every generation.
My PC is 2 years old and is better than the current specs for these consoles.. So.. Yeah... Not so much on the "spending a crap ton of money on constantly upgrading".. I've not bought any upgrades since I've owned this, and it plays every game on max settings. EA is just out right lying to it's customers now.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Elate said:
My PC is 2 years old and is better than the current specs for these consoles.. So.. Yeah... Not so much on the "spending a crap ton of money on constantly upgrading".. I've not bought any upgrades since I've owned this, and it plays every game on max settings. EA is just out right lying to it's customers now.
Shows how much I know about Gaming Rigs then :p

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Oh yeah Mr EA man? Well my calculator has more computationing power than the next generation! I know that because I'm the Chief Technical Officer of Fuck You. Oh SNAP!

And even if the Xbone and PS4 are more powerful than the current high end PCs on the market, most hardcore gamers don't buy their machines off the shelf. They build them. And they are probably better than the 'next gen' already, give them a year or two and they will widen the gap whilst the consoles will still have the same hardware and specs.

You also have to question the credibility of a guy whose company couldn't get SimCity to run. Maybe he was on his lunch break during that disaster.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Or is he referring to mass-market machines, the sort of off-the-rack (but still relatively "high-end") Dell rig your mom might buy to send emails and play hidden object games? That's a different scenario entirely, and one in which this comparison fits far more easily - but that's also a demographic that's far less likely to be interested in what Rajat Taneja thinks about the coming generation of consoles.
He's not writing for gamers. He's writing for business executives. (It's an article for LinkedIn, for heaven's sake.) The average exec only has a PC capable of e-mail and Facebook games because that's all they use.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Well, I think we all know he's lying about the hardware being better than high end PCs. I'd be willing to put money down that my 3 year old desktop is at least as fast with an i5 750 quad core at 4.2ghz and a pair of 5850s.

That said, I think he does have a point in the software department. Why? Well, because they're developing software specifically for a home entertainment environment. I use a media PC hooked up to my receiver to watch movies and TV shows, and it can play games although I don't bother since I have my desktop... Anyway, the point is that I still have to navigate Windows on a TV from across the room using a wireless mouse. It works but it's a bit of a hassle. There's some software that helps with it a bit, Windows Media Center is okay, as is XBMC. Then you can alt-tab to Steam with Big Picture, and of course zoom in on webpages/YouTube for that stuff... But it's definitely not as nicely integrated. So, they do have a slight advantage for the home theater PC market.

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
They must be sitting in their board room taking turns sniffing the paint fumes off their golden poo's (maybe why they wanted to win another, last year's is a little stale by now) for this to make sense.

The whole point of a console is to have a standardised unit for developers so they don't have to spend a ton of cash testing the thousands of potential iterations of parts in a PC. A dedicated video card will thrash integrated video pretty much every single time. Hell, the day they announce the specs for a console they are usually months out of date compared to a dedicated gaming PC (not counting your parent's box PC they bought from Dell or Costco to play Facebook games and solitare)

I pretty much envisioned Rajat Taneja talking like this when he delivered this little gem: