EA: "If The Sims 4 Isn't Successful, There Won't be a Sims 5"

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Well then you better work on improving Sims 4 or make more Sims 3 expansions. Have you considered Sims 3: Mole People?

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
So does this mean there won't be a Sims 5 if they don't sell X or, make $X off of base Sims 4 units or, are they talking overall money made from The Sims 4 and the DLC they inevitably roll out for it? I would assume that the likelihood of The Sims 5 is also severely stunted when you consider that The Sims hasn't been rebooted yet. Maybe EA will only make $999 Million off of Sims 4 instead of $1 Billion, deem 4 a failure and decide to press the Reboot button...and probably exclusively for mobile devices too...

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Not sure why it's a surprise. Of course they're not thinking about 5. 4 just came out. These games have a shelf life of at least half a decade due to expansion packs. Hell, some people think 4 came out too soon. If 4 bombs, it means the well's run dry, and at the moment (what with this installment simply tweaking a few features at the expense of straight up removing others due to self-imposed technical limitations), it looks like it's about to, so they probably shouldn't be making any more anyway. This statement isn't out of the blue. This statement is in response to a question a Simmer asked.

I hate EA as much as the next guy but... I'm gonna need some help seeing where the anger's stemming from on this one.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Just drag the franchise out the back and shoot it. People still have Sims 1-3 plus all the DLC available anyway.

aceman67

Jan 14, 2010
I like how everyone is forgetting how bug-ridden and bloated (a ram hog, I have a computer with 16gb of ram, and with all the xp and DLC and mods, the game slows down) sims 3 was, and damn, the LOADING TIMES! damn, they were bad.

Crashing issues and cut content aside, the game loads snappy, the animations are smooth, the personality of my sims (especially those with conflicting traits, like shy confidant ambitious) are awesome.

What makes the Sims what it is are the expansion packs, dlc and mods, especially the mods.

Lets wait and see what the community makes.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
you don't even have to link to a different game to talk about ditching games for sequels, because this is the fourth main line sims game

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
"If you don't give us money for half-assed product now, there wont be another opportunity for you to give us money for quarter-assed product down the future"

...is what they're saying.

They're really bad at this whole guilt thing.

Skatologist

Choke On Your Nazi Cookies
Jan 25, 2014
So many nice snarky comments, I'm surprised I didn't find the "Is that a threat or a promise?" one yet.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Gearhead mk2 said:
If any Sims fans want to join me in the corner to weep for dead franchises, I've got a bottle of Serrice Ice Brandy. I was just pouring one out for Dead Space, I'll see if I can get you a glass.
...Yeah, definitely having Dead Space 3 flashbacks. Given how many companies EA has acquired explicitly to make use of their existing franchises, this is not a pleasing trend.

Avoiding an abusive relationship means giving the other side a way of saying "no" without punishing them for it, guys.

CatLafitte

Aug 29, 2014
Racecarlock said:
"Gimme the dough or I kill the broad!" - EA
Bread = the stuff you eat.
Broad = Girl/woman.

Might want to think about rephrasing that sentence of yours... lol.

OT: Tomb Raider survived Angel of Darkness. Alone in the Dark survived the fifth game (if rumors are true). Resident Evil survived the fourth and fifth game. Silent Hill survived Homecoming and Downpour. Why wouldn't Sims survive the pretty decent Sims 4? Just give the hate-train a few weeks to leave the station with its few passengers, then the large Sims-community can be happy with The Sims 4. :)

My predictions? Most fans don't care about the hate-train, and buy the game anyway. First expansion? Many buy the expansion, many buy the expansion and game. Second expansion? Same thing. Some buy the expansion, some buy the game and one expansion, some buy the game and both expansions. When it's time for an upgrade, The Sims 4 will have sold enough to more than justify The Sims 5. Nothing to worry about. In worst case, we'll get The Sims-game that's somewhat different from the rest, which pisses off some loud fans and pleases most others, just like all the other sequels (including The Sims 4.)

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
This is low, even for EA, they take out like, half the shit for Sims 4 and go "Hey, if you dont buy this box of shit, you wont get even get a game that might be good!" I hate EA so much.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
kaizen2468 said:
Or, stay with me on this, or they could gauge the current market interest and release a new game that targets that market. Now this last part is crucial, give it a manageable budget to meet those expectations.
"Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa there buddy. Let's not get all scientifical and logical here. We're talking The Sims, not rocket surgery you silly goose" - EA 2014

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
EA, bunch of greedy leecher of society that cares only about money. Imagine if the Wright brothers was like EA: "if this build wasn't successful there wouldn't be a next build", we'll still be travelling by train,cars and ship.

thundra

Aug 19, 2014
This is gonna bite them in the ass in the future. Once their license of the sims expires someone is gonna take it and have the sims million dollar fanbase and ea will cry because they lost all that money.

TKhanman

Mar 15, 2014
So is this their master plan?

Step 1: Cut corners with the Sims 4 and save some money. (smaller world, no pools and toddlers, bugs, etc.)

Step 2: Threaten fanbase by not developing the next Sims game if Sims 4 is not successful.

Step 3: Make loads of money.

Step 4: Repeat.

Sounds like that turning over a new leaf thing isn't working so well right now.

Longing

Nov 29, 2012
EA management seems so far removed from reality, it's like they're living in a completely different universe. Alienating your fanbase by making your own failures seem like theirs is a great way to do business. It's not selling because it's shit EA! There's no greater conspiracy at work here.

Do we have official numbers yet? Because I personally know no one irl who bought the Sims 4.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Skatologist said:
So many nice snarky comments, I'm surprised I didn't find the "Is that a threat or a promise?" one yet.
It's like they're saying "You can't fire me, I QUIT!" to the whole gaming community. It's hilarious.

(I considered taking that as a request, but then decided naaah.)