EA: "If The Sims 4 Isn't Successful, There Won't be a Sims 5"

BareHope

Aug 12, 2014
I'm 100% ok with that plan.

A graphics update and some minor mechanics overhaul is basically all Sims 3 needs, thank you very much. No need to try to sell us a new game.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
I'm an actual Sims fan (doll houses are fun!) but if you want to actually sell the brand to people then maybe you should give them a game that gets people excited. Throwing features out of the game that were in the orginal 3 games doesn't get people excited especially with your history. When I saw the Sims 4 I wasn't thinking, oh I can't wait to play that. I looked at the Steam Sims3 page saw that it was 360 dollars for the game and all its expansions then looked at the Sims 4 and knew that buying your game was just an invitation to get ripped off. EA you don't have a good history of selling video games and your customers don't like you, stop taking them for granted and give them value and what they want... not hostage threats and half baked maxis games.

PS: BTW nothing makes me more sad then seeing EA turn my beloved Maxis into a shaddy game developer who I have to assume is lying about their game.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
CatLafitte said:
Racecarlock said:
"Gimme the dough or I kill the broad!" - EA
Bread = the stuff you eat.
Broad = Girl/woman.

Might want to think about rephrasing that sentence of yours... lol.
his sentence is fine. Its a quote from low life gangster threats. Dough is a nickname for money. Its basically a robbery situation of "give me money or i shoot the hostage".

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
This is just a natural part of EA's cycle of destroying beloved franchises for business and marketing reasons.

It's about time it died and left a vacuum for someone else anyhow. And the once amazing and proud, now sad and technically inept liars, Maxis, can go down with it.

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
It appears that EA is no longer satisfied with shooting itself in the foot with conventional weaponry and has upgraded to artillery...

ObserverStatus

Aug 27, 2014
TKhanman said:
So is this their master plan?
Step 1: Cut corners with the Sims 4 and save some money. (smaller world, no pools and toddlers, bugs, etc.)
Step 2: Threaten fanbase by not developing the next Sims game if Sims 4 is not successful.
Step 3: Make
oads of money.
Step 4: Repeat.
Sounds like that turning over a new leaf thing isn't working so well right now.
Funny, you'd think they would have learned that this wouldn't work after Dead Space 3.

Final7111

Aug 6, 2011
The Sims 4 sucks, and just like Simcity isn't selling well. However people love these games, so the best way to sell them is to threaten not to make another. EA is truely the worst video game company out there!

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
tippy2k2 said:
Oh EA, you so silly!

First you say you don't want to be considered the worst company in America again [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137287-EA-We-Never-Want-to-Be-Named-Worst-U-S-Company-Again-Be-Named-Worst-U-S-Company-Again] and then you state that if your rush-job piece of S game doesn't sell well, you're going to kill the entire franchise.

But yeah EA, threaten your consumer base. That's the key to not being voted the worst company in America...
No no, the statement itself is reasonable enough. After all if the franchise is no longer profitable, why should they continue it? The problem is they didn't exactly take the steps necessary to ensure that The Sims 4 would be successful and instead banked everything on name recognition.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
MarsAtlas said:
aceman67 said:
I like how everyone is forgetting how bug-ridden and bloated (a ram hog, I have a computer with 16gb of ram, and with all the xp and DLC and mods, the game slows down) sims 3 was, and damn, the LOADING TIMES! damn, they were bad.
While thats true, it was the result of trying something to drastically improve the franchise - which it did. Even if you fix the current bugs in The Sims 4, you've got less than The Sims 2 did at release, with the only exception being character creation. The Sims 4 is a blatant downgrade for the series, an insult to a long-time fan like myself. No Create a Style, no Open World, no ability to create new lots, no ability to alter the world or public lots, alongside the game being 32-bit only. This is easily the weakest iteration since the first Sims game, and the engine prevents the game from being improved. While the Sims 3 had, quite frankly, atrocious loading times, everything was loaded once the game did so, and it was improved further into the game's lifecycle. That hope doesn't exist for many of the core features that are either missing or crippled in TS4.
A very good point, there is a reason I finally switched to the sims 3 once weather was finally added back in (honestly I abandoned the idea of getting the Sims 4 once they tried to pull that stunt again) and that reason is that once you get the content with expansions evened out the Sims 3 at its base did actually add things over the Sims 2 base game. I'll admit I was skeptical of the open neighborhood at first but eventually I grew to like it along with the whole story progression town aspect and I even used the create a style tool far more than I thought I would.

In the end the Sims 3 might not have been the best Sims Game ever made but it did do things diffrently and give you a reason to at least try it. What does the Sims 4 give? What makes people buy the game and try it instead of booting up their old copy of 3,2, or even 1? Yes they added in a few new features but when it comes at the cost of so many others how does it hope to balance out?

I'm so frustrated over the whole thing it's like Simcity 2013 all over again, you know someone could make a great game with the IP and some of the mechanics show so much promise (education leading to high tech factories,city specialization) yet it falls flat and seems half done like someone just wanted it out the door and making money as fast as possible.

Haakmed

Oct 29, 2010
So let me get this straight, you don't want to be the worst company in America again so you release a game with tons of features cut from it with every intention of selling them later as DLC. And if you don't sell enough of that game and its DLC to hit some target which I can only assume is astronomically high because you figure that your market for Sims grows with each release, and you tell those people that features are cut and then threaten future games development if they don't buy the new one.

So how exactly are you trying to make your public image better again? Are you curing cancer? Opening new studios to try and make new IPs with new ideas? Or are you just gonna keep shoveling the same crap and let others take the risk and just clone those?

This will only end well.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I wonder why Atlus never has these problems. OH WAIT, they make GOOD GAMES.

"Hee ho!"

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
EA is a bunch of greedy idiots, but this might be the first time their stupidity gets in the way of their greed.

No Sims 5? That's basically like saying that they want there to be a void in the market in 5 years, that someone else gets to fill in their absence.

The Feast

Apr 5, 2013
Well, Maxis, or whoever created the Sims games, EA would like to say bye-bye for all the work you've done. Now, get out of here. There are probably some long lived franchise that EA want to destroy.

Burchy22

Oct 1, 2012
I find it weird that people are saying EA is being hypocritical when it was two different people that said it.
I actually feel sorry for the CEO Andrew Wilson, he say's one day that he doesn't want to be the worst anymore then the very next day someone else in EA runs out into the spotlight and yells "Fuck you, gamers!" and now Wilson is all like "Dude, what the hell?! I just said we aren't doing that anymore!"

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
Oh no, there won't be a game after the game that isn't out yet?

I find it funny that they say they're dedicated to making 4 as good a game as possible and not just moving on to a sequel while simultaneously factoring the sequel into things. And that's not even touching the fact that 3 will still be the better game.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Maybe it'll actually be successful if you didn't take stuff away, EA. Make a BETTER sequel.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
Good, hope it isn't successful you collective of awful halfwits.

The only entertainment I want out of EA anymore is the pleasure of watching it slowly go bankrupt. I'm really not a mean person usually so I'm a bit astounded at how much empathy I feel towards ancient Persian kings taking glee in watching an execution. I'm really excited for EA to go bankrupt, I really hope I get to see it, I have an evil hatred for EA that would only be justified if they killed several of my dogs.

Everything they do is wrong, for the past six years their strategy has been to make a product and then scientifically tweak the amount of annoyance in the game so that's it's just barely tolerable. They define their own failures as when they go just past that line, like Dungeon Keeper mobile, if they could do that again they would just barely tone down the paid transactions, just enough to make it playable but not enough for you to actually have real fun.

It's as if all the rights for producing chocolate bars were obtained by a single company and this company started adding fine sawdust to the bars. Every year they would try to add more sawdust to each batch, some batches even began to look like crumbly brown particle board. People complained, they said: "If making chocolate bars is so expensive that you have to add sawdust to make the required quantity, we would much prefer you increase the price and remove the sawdust." The company responded by decreasing the size of the bars and adding a complex and expensive brown dye. The chocolate simply isn't worth eating anymore, I'd rather wait for the company to go out of business and see what happens when other people are allowed to make chocolate bars again. They've ruined it for me.

nevarran

Apr 6, 2010
Aaaand EA's plans to "not win the price for worst company" came to a sudden halt :)