EA: "If The Sims 4 Isn't Successful, There Won't be a Sims 5"

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Oh dont worry i suspect there will be many microtransaction-laden iOS ports to make.

thundra said:
This is gonna bite them in the ass in the future. Once their license of the sims expires someone is gonna take it and have the sims million dollar fanbase and ea will cry because they lost all that money.
I could be wrong, but last i checked it takes 70 years for IP rights to expire.

And it can be refreshed by publishing literally anything related to the franchise.

ticklefist said:
I read it differently. To me it wasn't the same as Frank Gibeau the executive saying "5 mil or gtfo." This is the developer saying "We have to make this good so that you'll buy it. Otherwise they won't ask us to make another one."
This would be a valid statement, if Maxis were not conclusively proven to be emitting bullshit after SimCity blew up in thier faces.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
thundra said:
This is gonna bite them in the ass in the future. Once their license of the sims expires someone is gonna take it and have the sims million dollar fanbase and ea will cry because they lost all that money.
And of course, EA will make sure that it takes at least a century if not longer before the license for Sims runs out, just to spite the content creators and customers that didn't take it in the ass from them. The same thing is happening with Capcom and Megaman.

OT: EA... EA... EA...

You get the worst company in America "award" so often even over companies that do horrible things that are in the grand scheme a lot more important not just because you royally screw over your customers constantly in every way you think you can get away with, but because you do that as blatantly and obviously as possible while flipping off your customers the entire time. My suggestion is you REALLY need to fire your marketing department, all of it, and have everybody else shut up forever, not a word. When you can improve your image just by not saying anything you KNOW you've being doing it wrong.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
???

Of course they're not working on Sims 5, they have a couple years of expansions to get out of the way first.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Is this their way of scaring us into buying The Sims 4? Because that's not gonna happen. I don't give a shit if there is never a another Sims game if their strategy for selling it is to cut it into smallest of pieces to be sold as DLC.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Thing is, Grant Rodiek calls it like it is. Read through all his posts - his biggest crime is that he doesn't mince words, so fair play to him I say.

Sims 4 is seriously unlikely to fail. Yeah, the majority of gamer sites feature complaints about all the many wrongdoings but for every complaint theres a vast majority more happily willing to buy the Sims 4 "because Sims".

I dont think Grant was trying to threaten anyone in his post, just speaking in the harsh terms of the business world - if Sims 4 somehow didn't turn a tidy profit then it'd likely be dropped considering EA's financial results for the past few years. In this instance, its being played safe to review the results at least a few weeks into the go-live.

He also does say this in response:

It's not all or nothing, per se, but something has to pay for 5.
Source: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/12589864/#Comment_12589864

LaoJim

Aug 24, 2013
Fasckira said:
Thing is, Grant Rodiek calls it like it is. Read through all his posts - his biggest crime is that he doesn't mince words, so fair play to him I say.
There is (as always) a lot of EA hate on this thread. I'm not a Sims fan, haven't played 3, haven't played 4, not going to. Gamers who like the Sims are upset that they've had features removed, gamers who don't like the Sims are happy to have another stick to beat EA with. Fair enough, EA deserve a beating now and then.

This story does need a bit of context though. Its a thread where a producer (not the producer, just one of many) was discussing a whole bunch of Sims 4 related issues with players. He was a bit defensive as you'd expect him to be given the amount of hate the game is getting (and yes he maybe does deserve some of the blame), but generally he was fielding people's questions in a positive way and you can see that there's genuinely a good attitude on the thread.

Then you have one poster coming in basically saying I'm not buying Sims 4, get working on Sims 5 with these features A,B,C. I don't generally like the phrase 'gamer entitlement', he has some legitimate points, but he talking to a real person, whose just spent years working on a game (good or bad), so he's phrasing things in a way which is pretty insulting. You then have this bit of discussion between two of the posters...

You do have to understand that if they jumped ship and started on The Sims 5 now any and everyone who bought The Sims 4 and probably a fair few people who didn't would feel grossly betrayed.

Good point. But they don't have to jump ship on Sims 4, they can continue working on Sims 5 as they're making EPs for Sims 4. Isn't that how they always do it anyway? Or am I wrong? Like most people have said, the devs usually begin working on a successor as soon as the previous game is released.
At this point, or slightly before, the producer goes home, everyone on the thread is saying "Hey why aren't you addressing our quesitons anymore?" When he comes back in he's got a whole bunch of replies to dash off before he can get on with his day, which probably involves him getting shit from EA management for why everyone's complaining about the Sims

That's the context to the remarks. They're still not great PR, but its hardly as bad as some people want to make out.

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
Its ok EA everyone has a good sims game already(3), we don't need a new one.

milijanko

Nov 19, 2013
So, basically... this [http://static1.gamespot.com/uploads/original/454/4549725/2602193-9874855801-24538.jpg].

loa

Jan 28, 2012
That's really gross and makes me want to get the sims 4 even less.

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
"If you want more, buy this current piece of shit and we'll give you the illusion of building something better later..."

Seriously, I read their statement as nothing more than a threat. 'Don't wait for the next one, because there won't be one if you don't give us money now'. Trying to remove the only power a consumer has, eh? Don't want the sales figures to reflect the gutted corpse you've presented? Or maybe this *is* part of your strategy, to sell off this emaciated flea-infested leper so that Sims 5 (with sims 3 level day one junk) looks so amazing and full of value.

Ah EA, your name is forever synonymous with 'scumbag'.

Feb 28, 2008
AnthrSolidSnake said:
So...if they screw up a franchise that was already popular by making one game that isn't that great, it's OUR fault, so we don't get another game that corrects the problems?
I read it a little more positively as: they are putting all their effort in to making this entry in the series successful, and won't even begin to think of the next until they are happy with it. Maybe I am just reading it in light of the new CEO? of EA, who seemed to herald a sort of sea change in company ethos ("customers first").

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Now they're trying to blackmail people into buying their games =D 'If you don't buy it you'll never see another one again'

funnydude6556

Feb 5, 2011
RIP
The Sims Franchise
2000 - 2014

Yeah I'm calling it. You know I said this before on another forum and I'm saying it again. There was a time where I didn't understand why everyone hated EA Games so much and then EA helped me to understand, all I can say is I pity the times I didn't hate them with a burning passion. EA have stripped The Sims 4 of features and left it a buggy mess and now that we're speaking up their attitude is "Buy the game or we won't make a sequel" good, don't make a sequel. It's not like there isn't a billion other idiots like you jerks around willing to sell video games to me.

For example, you loved The Sims? Well then buy into the Civilization franchise, in fact I have this handy guide to help you to decide if a game is worth buying.
Question 1
Is Take-2 involved in the creation of the video game as either the publisher or the parent company of the publisher?
If yes then buy the game immediately

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Translation: We gambled and tried to create another Sims MMO, and this failed. The parts that were salvageable we sold as The Sims 4, despite it not being a complete game.

So you'd better buy it en masse as well as the 12 quintillion expansions and paid store content, or we'll be holding The Sims 5 hostage.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Sims2 still remains the best sims game soooo good job ea you've killed another franchise after milking it dry and killing any goodwill towards it that once existed. Freaking idiots.

I still can't believe like 90% of the features in 2 and 3 and aren't in 4. What a load of bullwank.

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
Really not a big loss for gaming i'd say. In fact i would be surprised if sim's 4 does well considering how shifted towards mobile gaming the casual(scum) have become in recent years.

lordofpowies

Jul 20, 2013
At last! Come on you guys, this is our chance! All you have to do is not buy this game and we can finally be rid of this garbage! If only more publishers would put the decision of ending their worthless franchises of terrible games for stupid people in the hands of their consumers!

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Well fuck you too, EA.

Though maybe it's for the best since they only know how to turn gold into pure shit.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Do4600 said:
Good, hope it isn't successful you collective of awful halfwits.

The only entertainment I want out of EA anymore is the pleasure of watching it slowly go bankrupt. I'm really not a mean person usually so I'm a bit astounded at how much empathy I feel towards ancient Persian kings taking glee in watching an execution. I'm really excited for EA to go bankrupt, I really hope I get to see it, I have an evil hatred for EA that would only be justified if they killed several of my dogs.

Everything they do is wrong, for the past six years their strategy has been to make a product and then scientifically tweak the amount of annoyance in the game so that's it's just barely tolerable. They define their own failures as when they go just past that line, like Dungeon Keeper mobile, if they could do that again they would just barely tone down the paid transactions, just enough to make it playable but not enough for you to actually have real fun.

It's as if all the rights for producing chocolate bars were obtained by a single company and this company started adding fine sawdust to the bars. Every year they would try to add more sawdust to each batch, some batches even began to look like crumbly brown particle board. People complained, they said: "If making chocolate bars is so expensive that you have to add sawdust to make the required quantity, we would much prefer you increase the price and remove the sawdust." The company responded by decreasing the size of the bars and adding a complex and expensive brown dye. The chocolate simply isn't worth eating anymore, I'd rather wait for the company to go out of business and see what happens when other people are allowed to make chocolate bars again. They've ruined it for me.
This is...an extremely well-composed summation of the anger and hatred directed at EA. I just had to quote this to point out that I like how clear and entertainingly readable it is.

Because yes...there are those - perhaps many - who are waiting for EA to shit itself dead. We're waiting for the head to go so far up their ass that the body disappears, for the shot aimed at their foot to explode like a nuclear bomb, for the nose cut off despite the face to be inhaled suddenly and choke off the air passages, and so on. I, personally, do not have much in the way of anything involved in EA. Maybe a few games that were acceptable, but mostly I would say that I am against them out of sympathy for those that HAVE been cheated.

Hiya.

We bear witness to a crucial time in business - not just in EA, but other companies - where the dirty tricks are failing because they're crappy and overdone and people just don't want to deal with it anymore. EA will be justified as the worst company in America not because they're greedy and evil, but because they're also inept. They're going to go down in history as a company that stands there with its throat cut (by their own hand) while literally everyone in the world tells them how to stop the bleeding and they continue to wonder what's wrong. They'll keel over, still wondering, and their last croak before dying will be to accuse the world of not understanding their innovation.

It is to laugh.