EA Turns Its Back on Single-Player Games

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Okay, now: To the tune of the Star War's Imperial song, EVERYBODY TOGETHER!!!

[HEADING=1]DUMB-DUMB-DUMB-DUMB-DA-DUMMMB-DUMB-DA-DUMMMB---[/HEADING]

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
I will give credit where credit is due: the multiplayer in Mass Effect 3 is absolutely phenomenal. That said, EA is still stupid for insisting on shoehorning multiplayer into every game. Just because Modern Warfare is a record seller mostly because of its multiplayer doesn't mean that a game is only successful if it has multiplayer.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
EA is disgusting... I'm tired of this company that is a damn blight on the industry. Their vapid games can rot on their shelf from now on. Single player experiences are not a periphery to multiplayer... EA is just the most idiotic company working in gaming today, they try to destroy Zynga for their glaring mistakes on one hand, they then try to emulate those same mistakes with the other. It's just mind boggling that they would even think this a good business policy much less say it out loud.

GoddyofAus

Aug 3, 2010
Honestly, does EA get off on being the most arrogant, self righteous, condescending fuckwits on the planet or something.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
The unfortunate thing is EA's main money makers are games with multiplayer focus or strong multiplayer components: Battlefield and all the EA Sports games, so a decision like this isn't going to tank the company or anything. Where this hurts the most is that they were able to get their hands into Bioware... no question now on how much independence they actually have.

WonderWillard

Feb 4, 2010
This site is a hopeless EA-hate-circle jerk. If Valve came out and said the very same thing, everyone here would just happily rake it in. EA pretty much already does this... All of their games have some sort of online feature, and not necessarily multiplayer. Christ, everyone is treating this as if EA just ruined gaming forever.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
WonderWillard said:
This site is a hopeless EA-hate-circle jerk. If Valve came out and said the very same thing, everyone here would just happily rake it in. EA pretty much already does this... All of their games have some sort of online feature, and not necessarily multiplayer. Christ, everyone is treating this as if EA just ruined gaming forever.
Yeah, "everyone" would keep saying that, except that fucking army of people, who remember to repeat that comment of yours on every news even tangentially related to either EA, or Valve.

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
Dear EA,

Fuck that shit.

Sincerely,
Someone who plays The Sims 3.

They tried that with the expansion pack before last, in which you HAVE to use the simport feature (Read: Send your sims to other people's games, receive other people's sims in your game, receive their sketchy custom content at the same time, game broken forever) to advance in the new shiny careers.

Mortamus

The Talking Dead
May 18, 2012
In reply to alot of this, I think Jim Sterling stressed some huge points on this in regards to EA's (and some others) horrible beliefs on how the industry is working.

Relevant Captcha: hush puppies

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/5014-How-Skyrim-Proves-The-Industry-Wrong

Ruley

Sep 3, 2010
So i guess EA doesn't want our money anymore?

"I know! People just want to play with other people, right? thats why things like Facebook are so popular! So why dont we just make games that let people socialize rather than delivering a sculpted, engaging single player story!"

"But sir, what about all the well crafted story Bioware did before we strong armed them into making more streamlined games with needless multiplayer addons for what was primarily a single player experience - didn't we make a lot of money from that?"

"No you idiot! thats why i'm running this company and not you!!"

And my faith in humanity drops another notch :l

My joking aside, this is just a blunder for the industry and proof that EA needs to leave, right the hell now. I can't think of a single multiplayer game from EA that i've played as religiously as i have Halo 3, Assassins Creed, GTA 4, etc... All of EA's multiplayer efforts i've played feel like needless tag ons that provided a 5 minute distraction before i turned the game off and shoved in a better multiplayer game. They have only ever been good at story to some degree - by that i mean i remember the story of their games more than the multiplayer components.

ShadowTrooper-A-E

Aug 20, 2012
In gamer news today ubisoft gets rid of its horrid DRM for PC gamer's! Capcom unfortunately believes making game's with shorter development time is a good idea. While in less surprising new's Electronic Arts solidifies (possibly permanently) their hold on the number one spot for most hated publisher/company by abandoning single player gaming and making nothing but tacked on shitastic multiplayer on games that don't need it....years later...In no way shocking news electronic arts owned subsidiary companies bioware visceral and dice and soon all of them find a loophole in there stranglehold contract and jump ship as it burns!what's this Gamer's all around of all stripes Microsoft PC, Sony, and Nintendo come together and rejoice knowing a new age of gaming will come. :)

on topic seriously EA just tapped the dirt on their grave unless they make the Greatest mp ever which i highly doubt and even then if their killing sp which will kill bioware and visceral i will refuse to buy their game's.

Apr 5, 2008
Yeah, evolved with your players? Considering so many of them are b****ing about your practises, one would have thought you might learn something. The majority of us don't want facebook shit in our games. We want a focused, polished single-player experience, without the compromises of designing it for others. Compromises in gameplay, in difficulty and in story which have to allow for more than one "protagonist".

This isn't the right direction EA, you're only fuelling the bonfire of what I will *very* politely call "indifference" to you.

Among the best games of the last year, FYI were Deus Ex: Human Revolution and TES: Skyrim. Wanna know what they have in common? ME3 was a PoS compared with ME1. Want to guess at one of the major differences was? All this will do is mean even more EA games will be compromised than they already are.
Thus we end up with things like Dead Space 3, which has evolved from a solo horror experience to a co-op shooter
Guess which of the two I enjoyed playing, and guess which I won't be buying? 5 million copies for a diluted co-op shooter with all of the fans dissillusioned and alienated? Good luck with that.

Message for the EA shareholders: Your current leadership has been and is continuing to run your company's tattered reputation further into the ground. They are alienating fans, ruining gaming as a whole and individual franchises like Mass Effect and Dead Space in particular. Stop them while there is still something to save.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
I don´t really think i own anything from EA other than Shadows of The Damned, a game that managed to stay awesome without any tacked on multiplayer component. Incidentally it´s probably also the last game i´ll buy from them, they just don´t seem to release anything that holds my interests, and doesn´t seem like they plan on changing that anytime soon.

elilupe

Jun 1, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
"We are very proud of the way EA evolved with consumers," Gibeau said. "I have not green lit one game to be developed as a single player experience. Today, all of our games include online applications and digital services that make them live 24/7/365.
The way he said this...with such glee...It's like a small child throwing your favorite mug out the window of a moving car window and then smiling proudly at you, thinking he just did a great thing for you. Except, in this example, you just have to sadly sigh and move on past that because it's a baby, whereas with EA, you go and fire a rocket launcher at Gibeau's house.

Mortamus

The Talking Dead
May 18, 2012
WonderWillard said:
Isn't your avatar a picture from one the episodes of the Jimquisition? A show known for it's unseething hatred of EA? As well, on the subject, the very same show has touched on why we all hate EA. It's not that they started it or the only ones doing. It's that they are the ones doing it ALL and actually PROUD of it.

Buleet

Feb 21, 2010
Ok, They just officially flipped their shit and went to ego-town for a long-ass vacation, and they left brain-puppy tied up on a tree by the road.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
WonderWillard said:
Nah. Personally i have a distaste for every big AAA company because they all try to streamline games in such a high degree that everything plays the same. Once upon a time different games felt different from each other, nowadays we have a small selection of genres where every game feels the same. Play one -Insert Genre- and you´ve played them all, you can practically look at a game and you know exactly what it would be like to play it. Probably why i´m not looking forward to Tomb Raider, Hitman, Dead Space 3 or any other of the big upcoming games.

Or maybe i´m just getting old... i´m probably just getting old.