EA Turns Its Back on Single-Player Games

Gene O

Jul 9, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
That's fine EA, I turned my back on you some time ago.
Yeah, that's my position, too. If they still made games I felt like playing this would really upset me.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Good business practice: Know your demographic

EA business practice: duh-huh!

Seriously, I play video games to escape the dull drudgery of my world and to do something engaging and exciting that would be otherwise impossible/improbable. I don't want real-world arseholes ruining my escapism!

ThePuzzldPirate

Oct 4, 2009
That's fine EA, the last game I bought was KOA but seeing how they have gone tits up, I don't need to worry about it. I really wanted a Mirrors Edge 2 but it won't be from you.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
I'm well aware. I've known as such since you shot C&C in the back afew weeks ago. Kane is coming for you EA, Nod's vengeance shall be received.

chaosbedlam

Apr 15, 2009
The first and only thing that comes to mind after reading this article: 'No good can come from this.'

Andaxay

Thinking with Portals
Jun 4, 2008
seditary said:
Oh god.

Fuck off EA.

Seriously.
Exactly. Absolutely this. I think EA have forgotten what gaming is all about. They've certainly lost the plot. And their marbles. And any other analogy I can think of.

MUPPETS!

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
*sigh*

Okay, I'm not sure if this is just a PR muckup or not, but considering the statements of other executives from the same company, I'm going to assume the geniuses behind Electronic Arts are actually intending for their company to produce primarily multiplayer games.

UPDATE:
*one deleted paragraphs-long rant later*

Oh thank god, he retracted it.

http://kotaku.com/5940782/ea-says-theyre-not-killing-single+player-games

Supertegwyn

Oct 7, 2010
IndomitableSam said:
This makes my head hurt.

... Mostly because I just got up and banged it against the wall over and over and over.

Fuck off, EA. Fuck right off. Nobody likes you and we hope you die.
I like EA.

OT: Depending on the level of social integration, this could be a good or bad thing.

TheBelgianGuy

Aug 29, 2010
Andaxay said:
seditary said:
Oh god.

Fuck off EA.

Seriously.
Exactly. Absolutely this. I think EA have forgotten what gaming is all about. They've certainly lost the plot. And their marbles. And any other analogy I can think of.

MUPPETS!
I'm seriously wondering at this point if EA ever knew what it was about. They fucked Westwood back in 2003. They have been pissing me off regularly since then.

I mean, last week this Frank Gibeau managed to piss me of not once, not twice but THREE TIMES. Seriously, this man should just learn to shut the fuck up. Complete media silence for EA. Please.

Please EA, save what is left of your company... AND SHUT UP.

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
Can someone please remind me how EA is still in business after they do stupid shit like this.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
IndomitableSam said:
This makes my head hurt.

... Mostly because I just got up and banged it against the wall over and over and over.

Fuck off, EA. Fuck right off. Nobody likes you and we hope you die.
*Reads article*
>_<..........
There is a good way to say this, and a good way to do this.
But EA is evil so good luck!

1.Used games must pay $10 for all content. Even single player content.

2.Only people who have metacritic scores of 85% or higher can come work for us.(Not all employees need this, I know, still.)

3.Now all games must have a multiplayer element.

Now if they said they want any game that can have a multiplayer element when it makes sense to have one, that could be okay, but every game? That's just not reasonable.

Mark my words, if EA one day comes out and says anything near; "Anyone this year who works for/with us who's games don't sell as much or more than *insert that years best selling game here*, then they are out.", that will be their death cry.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Ah, the AAA industry. Now I remember why I'm turning into an indie snob.

The loss of Mirror's Edge 2 is very regrettable, though. ;_;

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Mortamus said:
StriderShinryu said:
Hmmm..

The name EA in the title? Check.
People basically not even reading the article and jumping to hate filled conclusions? Check.
Me not being surprised? Check.

I really have no issue with this as long as the connected content is thoughtful and well done. While I don't feel that the changes made to Dead Space are good, the always connected nature of a sports title or FPS is great, the multiplayer in ME3 was very fun (though tied into single player in a bizarre way), and having a facebook connected experience to supplement DA1/2 was kind of cool.
Except that this is not ok. If those things were optional, that's all fine and dandy. They aren't. You HAVE to do it.

I have decent internet but I don't want to link a bunch of crap to my facebook, or have to be online in order to play my game. Seriously. I should not have to deal with lag or server issues in a SINGLE PLAYER game. There is no justifiable excuse for it.
You see, that's the funny part. I played DA1 and DA2 and never used the Facebook games for either of them. I played ME3 and didn't touch the multiplayer until I had completed the fully single player game. Heck, I even still play NHL 12 regularly and haven't once used any of the online components. I've even only used the downloadable roster update service once and could have done it all myself using the ingame tools if I didn't want to/couldn't go online. This is the shape of EAs online services right now, and for the past couple of years, and none of them have required me to go online once to play my EA published games in a totally single player fashion. You want it optional? That's good because it already is.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
That's fine EA, I didn't want to give you any of my money any more either.

See you when you declare Chapter 11 boys!

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Here are the last 10 games I bought and played:

1. The Last Story
2. Alice: Madness Returns
3. Darksiders 1 & 2
4. Xenoblade Chronicles
5. Super Mario 3D Land
6. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
7. Psychonauts
8. Okami
9. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
10. Half-Life 2

What's that? All of those games are SINGLE player experiences with little-to-zero multiplayer functions?

Go to hell, EA. Either shape up or go jump off a cliff with your online passes shoved up your rear.