EA Turns Its Back on Single-Player Games

Mortamus

The Talking Dead
May 18, 2012
StriderShinryu said:
Hmmm..

The name EA in the title? Check.
People basically not even reading the article and jumping to hate filled conclusions? Check.
Me not being surprised? Check.

I really have no issue with this as long as the connected content is thoughtful and well done. While I don't feel that the changes made to Dead Space are good, the always connected nature of a sports title or FPS is great, the multiplayer in ME3 was very fun (though tied into single player in a bizarre way), and having a facebook connected experience to supplement DA1/2 was kind of cool.
Except that this is not ok. If those things were optional, that's all fine and dandy. They aren't. You HAVE to do it.

I have decent internet but I don't want to link a bunch of crap to my facebook, or have to be online in order to play my game. Seriously. I should not have to deal with lag or server issues in a SINGLE PLAYER game. There is no justifiable excuse for it.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
So what they're trying to say is "we will sacrifice the quality of the game in order to implement a shitty unnecessary multiplayer mode like the one you saw in Mass Effect 3. Oh and, we will do something similar to Dragon Age 3 and other franchises you might have liked once".

PiotrTheGreat

Jul 26, 2012
Okay, forget killing EA, cause they have provided us with some quality games in the past...

But can we at least stage a coup? Put someone competent on the board of directors, and as CEO?

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Look, EA. There are three games with multiplayer I enjoy. Three. Minecraft, Resistance 3 (for various reasons), and Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. That's it. This means I'm done buying your games, if you take away focus from Singleplayer, to focus on the unneeded multiplayer. Sure, I can see why you would for Battlefield, or Madden, that makes sense, but not for EVERYTHING!!

Tumedus

Jul 13, 2010
Funny, I have a shelf full of video games, easily 70% of which are single player. Of recent titles, some of the games I liked the least were games that tried to shoe-horn in or force multiplayer into a single player series.

The sad thing is, when this tact starts to affect their bottom line and games by developers like BioWare start to decline in popularity, EA is going to come out and claim this just shows that only shooters are worth making because people don't like other genres.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
I rarely play the multiplayer part of EA's games anyways, though that's because I mostly play the versions that don't log in online.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
"HEY! PEOPLE! HATE US ALREADY! NO WE DON'T WANT YOUR MONEY! AT ALL! PLEASE, JUST KILL US!"

That's my guess on what's running in EA's head.

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
EA just doesn't want to stop giving me fodder for jokes!

OT, really? Really? REALLY? This is one of the last nails in their coffin, I am sure.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
Fuck it, I'm out.
I quit.
I'm done.
Adios.

No words exist to express the scope of my facepalm.

dakaptin

Oct 31, 2010
Huh. I stopped buying EA products LONG ago. It's kept me from playing Mass Effect and SWTOR (games I still really want to play) but it's also saved me a lot of this kind of grief.

Somebloke

Aug 5, 2010
WonderWillard said:
If Valve came out and said the very same thing...
Incidently Newell DID say something similar, shortly after Portal2 came out, and concerns were voiced at the time.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
For me, as a mostly single-player gamer, this is absolutely great news. It means I won't have to struggle with the dilemma of buying some game that looks enticing but is tied to the disfigured carcass of EA. The last games I bought from them were Mirror's Edge and Alice: Madness Returns. Thank you, EA, for simplifying my buying choices!!

I don't have a phobia of multiplayer, but it has to be done right and fit in with the game. I'm currently having a great time doing Rayman origins in co-op (local, not over the internet, fortunately). I loved the Portal 2 co-op, though I wish I didn't have to connect to the internet to do so. I have incredibly good memories of playing Starcraft on LAN with friends, but skipped Starcraft II entirely because of freaking online requirements. Basically, I absolutely despise online only being forced into my gaming habits. I usually game when I don't want to be connected to the internet, but in another, seperate bubble.

LtFerret

Jun 4, 2009
"Today, all of our games include online applications and digital services that make them live 24/7/365."
"Until we shut the servers down when the sequel comes out, forcing you to buy it."

Teacakes

Sep 5, 2012
As much as I like to pretend I don't hop on game megacorp hatewagons when they trundle past the gaming community, it gets harder and harder to not tag along these days. Certainly it's more difficult when EA exuberantly proclaims they're going to do the exact same thing with their games as what Blizzard did with Diablo III. Because that went so well, didn't it?

Given that social media gaming has taken a bit of a downturn, I'm not surprised they're "making noise about the interconnected, digital future of videogames". There's a decent chance they're pretending it's the Next Big Thing because a lot of their money is riding on the success of clouds and Facebook connectivity.