EA Turns Its Back on Single-Player Games

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
It's time for the "social gaming" bubble to burst.

Yes, humans are social creatures, but they also do lots of things alone. This whole "let's turn the entire world into a giant facebook because life is all about socialization" fad is going against human nature.

People sometimes like to listen to music with headphones, walk alone in a forest, read a novel in their room, or build a scale model of the japanese parliament building in their basement out of matchsticks, without constantly sharing their status, and interacting, and getting feedback, and competiting with others.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
"We're proud to announce that we will be demanding to be a part of every aspect of your gaming experience when you purchase one of our games. Want some privacy? Want to play offline? Well it sucks to be you."

Seriously...do these people even know gamers? Do they know what gamers complain about? This is the type of thing you'd want to keep on the down-low and hope that no one notices...not the type of thing you make t-shirts to brag about.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
You know I think this can work in some situation but every situation?! FUCK YOU EA! This doesn't make any god damn sense. Just don't fuck with Bioware on Dragon Age 3, I'm one of the few people still genuinely excited for DA3, please don't force them to make no stupid mulitplayer like 2K did to Spec Ops. Unless its as good as ME3's multiplayer, I liked that a lot.

Capcha: creative vision. HA!

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Johnson McGee said:
I remember playing a co-op mode of System Shock 2, modded in for that matter, that worked really well and didn't degrade the horror experience of that game much at all. The key, I think, is to keep focus on the horror theme. Even with two people running around in that game you could still get killed really easily.
Funny, I had completely the opposite experience with SS2: the marine running ahead blasting the bejeezus out of everything, rendering my efforts to stay back and take it slow completely irrelevant. It was basically a walking tour through a battleground for two of us. I don't begrudge anyone who wants to play it like that, but from my perspective it added absolutely nothing of value and actually corrupted the isolation and loneliness that was so essential to the "real" experience.
I guess it helped that I was playing with someone I knew well and that it was back in ye olde LAN times, so we were in the same room.

Kekkonen1

Nov 8, 2010
I dont care if he has greenlit any singelplayer-games, as long as I am able I will continue playing them as if they were singelplayer-games, and when I am no longer able I will simply no longer play your games EA.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
The way EA news is going, I expect to wake up next Wednesday to learn that EA slipped in the shower and in the ensuing slapstick malady of ill-placed bear-traps, wedding cakes, wet paint, hot surfaces, giant sheets of glass and unprotected bosoms it blew its own head off with a double-barreled shotgun before plummeting thirty stories into a dump truck full of fire ants.

Which I guess is something you can be proud of, in a way.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
EA is stupid for making a horror game into co op. Good luck with that.

halobolola

Mar 3, 2011
Seeing how you need to go onto a website, to play bf3 single player, doesnt surprise me.

If they do the same, you'll no longer be able to launch a game with a .exe anymore.

Sojoez

Nov 24, 2009
Soon the IP's for The Sims, Command & Conquer, and Battlefield will be sold off to other companies because EA can't afford its own bills anymore. And thus the legacy of gaming exits its dark ages.

Flight

Mar 13, 2010
On the bright side, this means I have even less incentive to buy Dragon Age 3. I hated the all-but mandatory multiplayer in Mass Effect 3; pushing already unwanted gameplay did nothing to make me like it, and I was so terribly bored with it whenever I played. I don't want it shoved into any more games that don't need it.

DRTJR

Aug 7, 2009
If I'm not mistaken, Skyrim, FFXIII, and Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword all sold very well, and none of them have a lick of multiplayer.

everythingbeeps

Sep 30, 2011
Zeckt said:
EA is stupid for making a horror game into co op. Good luck with that.
If RE5 is anything to go by, you can amend your statement to say "EA is stupid for making a horror game into a non-horror co-op".

Adding co-op removes any shred of anxiety or fear.

NathLines

May 23, 2010
Oh, god. That picture. That picture truly scares me.
Assimilate. Assimilate. All will be one.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Good luck with that. Social gaming's a bubble that's about to burst, and that strategy isn't going to stop EA from continuing to tank horribly.

See you in hell, cockshiners. The gaming industry will not miss you.

thespyisdead

Jan 25, 2010
well, EA i just have to say one thing:

never again will i buy another EA title, or be hyped about what BioWare pumps out, because i will know, that it will be a steaming pile of shit, disguised as a solid bar of gold