eBay Bans Spells, Potions, and Curses

Caffiene

Jul 21, 2010
Mike Kayatta said:
eBay user Fiona-lunar has just the ticket: a "Powerful magic spell of werewolf transformation"
See, this is why eBay is banning this stuff... its obviously fake. Everybody knows that real spellcasters add an extra "k" to the end of the word "magic".

William Ossiss

Apr 8, 2010
Fun fact: the people who believe this stuff do NOT tend to sell their abilities. in fact, they look down on people who do so.

Thorvan

May 15, 2009
Okay, as an actual Wiccan (Or Witch, I take either one) who ACTUALLY knows a few things on the topic, let me make a potentially pointless attempt to clear things up; I'm not the most knowledgeable on the topic, but I feel it my duty to clear some things up.

First of all, Mythrandia is being hilarious.

Being a Witch/Wizard/Druid etc. Is actually a legitimate, fairly old religion, you probably know it as paganism, and was actually one of the more predominate western European religions; We're pretty sure, it's a little hard to tell considering that the Catholic church kinda rolled in and destroyed every trace of it. What bits did survive eventually came into the US in the mid-50s as Wiccanism or Paganism and has been a growing religion ever since. There's probably a few covens around where you live, you can usually google it. Like all faiths, please try to treat it with a baseline of respect.

At the onslaught of the Harry Potter craze, it saw a HUGE boost in membership. Unfortunately, most of the people joining were silly teenage girls, who misunderstood the faith as being less about spirituality, ethics, internal focus and peace, and more about OMG I CAN BE REAL WITCH AND MAKE SPELLS AND TINGS. Spells, potions are a factor of some Pagan's lives, but more than anything are a method of personal focus, meditation and spiritual reaffirmation- I'd equate them more with Christian mass than Wingardium Leviosa. Selling spells and potions is almost NEVER a thing you'd do, and is born out of a gross misunderstanding of the faith, or an attempt to prey on those who misunderstand. The most you'll see actual Pagans selling is candles, ceremonial knives, stuff to DO magic, but selling magic itself is really not a thing you do.

Anyways, just figured I'd put that into context for you. It's important to have at least a SLIGHT grasp of the topic you're speaking about. FYI, I've been off-practicing for a while and probably forgot a bit of my history on the topic, (It's also really early, and I'm tired) so you can find out more at http://www.religioustolerance.org/neo_paga.htm

As for the issue itself, I understand that they're banning this out of a desire to protect their customers from scams and injuring products, but I can't help but feel it's born out of a little bit of conservative political meddling. Still, it's not enough to really bother me.

Mr F.

Jul 11, 2012
Uh. Just... Skimming most of this thread. You lot know why. If I read all of the huge posts written by Mythrandia it would be a good hour until I would be able to do anything. Seriously.

My brain has turned to mush though. Just from contact with non-sensical word walls. I automatically try to read things, get about 300 words in then my brain just starts to scream.

"Why, For the love of god, why! Why are you reading such non-sensical horse bollocks! Save yourself!"

And then I stop.

More on topic?

Bout time. I fucking hate this shite. I hope eBay steps up and bans the selling of anything related to Homeopathy or anything sold by a "Nutritionist" (Fyi, I am now a Nutritionist. Because the term that requires a degree is Dietitian. If you state you are a Nutritionist, you are now a Nutritionist. The word is meaningless and there is no regulatory body. Go forth and scam, Brethren). Life would be easier, or at least happier, if the scam artists of this world were regulated into the nether hells.

Britisheagle

May 21, 2009
This is the best article ever! I had no idea these things exisited on eBay.

It's almost as good as the time I saw someone selling toast that may be cold by the time it was delivered.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
NO!! MY STOCKS!!

CONFOUND YOU ZARGON, YOU TRAITOR!!

NOW WHERE WILL PEOPLE GO FOR SAFE*, RELIABLE*, DESTRUCTIVE SPELLS AND INCANTATIONS NOW?

Oh, yeah that's right ; amazon.com

*Safe= may endanger the lives of you and your loved ones including household pets.
*Reliable= may summon demon lords from other dimensions and hell itself if some spells are not pronounced in the specified accent.

OT; I can't believe it took eBay this long to ban spells, potions etc. what happened this year that caused them to do so?

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Mythrandia said:
William Ossiss said:
Fun fact: the people who believe this stuff do NOT tend to sell their abilities. in fact, they look down on people who do so.
Umm there are some people psychics who are guns for hire, like Joe McMoneagle is right now. Google Remote viewing workshop joe mcmoneagle and watch the video. He says "do you think this is free?" and "where's your checkbook?" (referring to processing a remote viewing task).

I sure as hell knew that I would be out there exploring or managing my allegiance or something if I wasn't busy focusign all my attention on my client. The going rate for that was not $0, it was $25/hour.

There are certain services a wizard must charge for becaues there has to be a price for strangers who want to do certain things. Like for exmaple if somebody wants to have a near death experience, with the hope that it will trigger an out of body experience, and they want to do this under controlled conditions, then you have some cost basis for procurring the herbs and the potions and the powders and the talismans. Sometiems a wizard will front the costs, because he wants to cast spells with someone. Like a few weeks ago I dropped $50 on candles and such, and we lit candles and talked to spirits and at one point there was a syncronicity event where a brush of sage spontaneously burst into flame as we called a spirit to come join us, and it was strange enough that that night she and I did some very very werid things in response to the messages that nature sent us that night.

But anyways, a wizard cannot simply supply all the components to cast spells and refill those components and be expected not to charge anything for the services he offers. There are some nice people in town who will give people herbs that they need to cure diseases for free, out of concern for their neighbors, but anyways in those communities people are usually magic friendly and do things like leave a saucer of milk out for the gnomes or other little ones.
Good lord I could build a house of your posts, it's just a series of huge walls. It's kind of awesome to know there clearly isn't a maximum post size.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Thorvan said:
Okay, as an actual Wiccan (Or Witch, I take either one) who ACTUALLY knows a few things on the topic, let me make a potentially pointless attempt to clear things up; I'm not the most knowledgeable on the topic, but I feel it my duty to clear some things up.

First of all, Mythrandia is being hilarious.

Being a Witch/Wizard/Druid etc. Is actually a legitimate, fairly old religion, you probably know it as paganism, and was actually one of the more predominate western European religions; We're pretty sure, it's a little hard to tell considering that the Catholic church kinda rolled in and destroyed every trace of it. What bits did survive eventually came into the US in the mid-50s as Wiccanism or Paganism and has been a growing religion ever since. There's probably a few covens around where you live, you can usually google it. Like all faiths, please try to treat it with a baseline of respect.
I actually looked into this a little at Uni and I can add, it wasn't one religion of wizards/druids/what-not, there were bucket loads in England alone of different stuff like Tree Language, Druids doing stuff, Runes from the Vikings, Candle Magic, Dowsing, they're all from different 'religions' if you want to phrase it like that. Paganism isn't 'sactly an old religion as much as a label on a type, like Christianity sub-divides into Catholicism and Mormons but with a bit more sub-division than that (Lugh and Baldur might symbolise the same thing but they were vastly different in terms of the beliefs and how they worshipped) so... yeah. Sorry, just adding more context to it o.o-b.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Misleading title. I thought they banned the sell of Magic cards.
That moment when you begin to think that the escapist is becoming a better place for funny GIFs than Senor gif.

So...this. And yet there's still a "wiccan" shop in my uni's town. Quite a few who "practice" it too. I'm not gonna tell people what to do, but it's probably for the best that people can't attempt to buy werewolf spells on ebay.

Although, the internet has probably been robbed of some hilarity this day.

EDIT: Goddammit, why did they have to move the quote button to the top of posts instead of the bottom? This kinda shit has happened far, far too much.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
I have no problem with people selling that stuff, but making claims they can't actually back up? Not okay.

Sure, when it comes to this kind of stuff, you should be able to tell it's BS, but where do you draw the line? Can you only lie if your lies only fool stupid (or rather ignorant) people?

tetron

Dec 9, 2009
I don't do Ebay so I'm very worried that this has been going on already. I mean a 2 day, long range, spell to turn you into a lycan and a 1 day "love trap" spell ? Lol people stupid enough to believe that shouldn't have access to magic.