Editorial: Nintendo's E3 Showing is Refreshingly Fun

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Surprisingly Nintendo seems like they're the most in touch with actual consumers at the moment. This whole E3 was mostly about each publisher trying to give the audience what they've been asking for but Nintendo was the only one that sounded like they really meant it. I mean, there were cool things in all five but they're just so goofy and genuine, it's impossible not to love them unless you're trying.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
Okay, so..

If I just go by games I care about, Nintendo clearly won. Yea. That is a very personal decision. But... damn. MS and Sony, between the two of them, had 3 games total I cared about, and zero surprises. Yeah, I'm jaded I'll admit. Most of the reveals that were a surprise was variations on genres I never enjoyed in the first place, so that's a problem. But to be honest, what baffles me is that people say Sony won day 1... I mean... I skipped through a good 40 mins of that press conference because I got so bored with people talking about TV series and watching TV on your console and freaking LBP3 which is an IP I never cared about one bit. At least MS showed us actual games. Although honestly, the amount of crossover stuff is so big now that I had a hard time differentiation between the consoles at all. I think that's my main gripe. I mean I don't give a damn about Halo but at least it's an exclusive IP...

Rambling over.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
and Nintendo just doesn't STOP with the announcements:

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/230649-codename-s-t-e-a-m-roundtable-live-blog

Seriously, they have so many games you almost forget these are almost all made by ONE company. While everyone else iss truggling to garner an identity is a sea of blandness, Nintendo does stuff like this and proves how versatile they are.

Kyrinn

May 10, 2011
I was really hoping to hear about Majora's Mask for the 3DS. After playing the OOT remake I was very impressed. And seeing as how Nintendo has all but confirmed its eventual release, I guess I will just have to wait for now.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Aiddon said:
and Nintendo just doesn't STOP with the announcements:

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/230649-codename-s-t-e-a-m-roundtable-live-blog

Seriously, they have so many games you almost forget these are almost all made by ONE company. While everyone else iss truggling to garner an identity is a sea of blandness, Nintendo does stuff like this and proves how versatile they are.
From the blog.
"Players will take command of the unit steam a unique fighting force created by Abraham Lincoln to defend against a mysterious invasion from space,"

This just sounds fucking awesome. Here, Nintendo. Have all my moneys.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Oh OH! I see what happened. Yeah, no, see you got 'refreshingly fun' mixed up with 'dull, predictable and boring. Again.'
Same thing happened to me once when I had a cold. Told everyone it was refreshingly fun.

All serious, a new Zelda, a new Mario kart and more gimmicks than you can shake a Wii-mote at and you call it refreshing? As in reassuringly fresh, meaning new or clean?
Nintendo couldn't be a dirtier, smellier, fouler, rotting corpse if it tried, which is refreshing because they obviously aren't!

Haru17

Mar 1, 2014
Nintendo won E3. Far Cry 4 looks great, but Zelda U (they should've announced a title) was the only game announced with the potential to be an epic adventure, the kind that only the best games feature. Hopefully we see more soon.

Aureli

Mar 8, 2010
And with the new Zelda game announced, I have a reason to save up and buy a wii u.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Brian Tams said:
Jumwa said:
Games are fun.

Gamers are depressing. As evidenced here.
*nods sadly*

OT: I was really encouraged by the whole thing. A ton of games are coming to the Wii U (I am now very happy I decided to support the system when it looked like it was about to go on life support) that I'm interested. In fact, Nintendo is setting up for a pretty good turn around. Mario Kart 8 already gave the console a well needed steroid shot in the arm, plus we have Bayonetta (+1), Smash Bros. 4, and Zelda Warriors coming later in the year, plus a whole slew of games on the horizon in 2015... Its going to be interesting to see how it affects console sales.
I loved how they solved the Bayonetta problem. Two for 1 PLUS Bayonetta gets a bunch of new Nintendo themed outfits. Seriously Bayonetta dressed up as Link? Sign me up. My friend showed me the sales data for the week of Mario Kart 8 release. It sold over 100,000 units that week compared to say the Xbone which barely managed 50,000 coming in even behind the 3DS which at this point is becoming a dinosaur age wise in technology terms.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
refreshingly fun....

another zelda remake - check
level editor that even calculators 15 years ago had and PCs had BETTER one for a decade - check
another super smash bros - check
nothing but sequels - check

so, nothing refreshing or fun after all

Unlike Microsoft and Sony, who follow similar patterns year after year, Nintendo does whatever it wants.
Yes, Nintendo does what it wants - does the same thing every year. and peopel still call it new.

weirdee said:
y'know what

i know how sony and microsoft court investors, and i guess that's how they stay afloat, but

maybe i want to play, some freaking games???

instead of increasing shareholder value
well, then you should look at SONY, who announced the most new games at this E3.

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
Sony and MS had a couple of interesting games, but way too much filler and CGI trailers. How are people still getting excited over CGI trailers? Nintendo's stream was well paced, and had plenty of fun looking games, not too mention had plenty of actual gameplay.

PeaceRider

Oct 17, 2011
Dark Knifer said:
I don't understand the hype for hyrule warriors though. Almost every japanese franchise has a dynasty warriors knock off at some point, why is it when nintendo does it it's a big deal?

It's a big deal because ever sense the debacle with the Philips CD-I and the Super Mario Bros. live action movie, Nintendo has held it's titles close to itself hand has rarely let outside groups play around with their big names. Seeing Nintendo let a trusted group like the team behind the still popular Dynasty/Samurai Warriors titles make a spin off based on one of the most popular and beloved franchises is a good sign that Nintendo might ease up and let outside teams take a crack at making games with the Big N's main characters.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
Silentpony said:
All serious, a new Zelda, a new Mario kart and more gimmicks than you can shake a Wii-mote at and you call it refreshing? As in reassuringly fresh, meaning new or clean?
Nintendo couldn't be a dirtier, smellier, fouler, rotting corpse if it tried, which is refreshing because they obviously aren't!
I'm genuinely confused by this post. For one they already came out with Mario Kart earlier this month and said nothing about another one this E3. Also I'm unsure what the gimmicks are. Online multiplayer and brand new IPs? I mean don't get me wrong they did show off how some of the game use the Wii U Gamepad, but that's less "gimmick" and more "we're finding ways to implement the hardware".

I mean you don't have to be excited for any of Nintendo's stuff, but this comes off as blind cynicism.

PeaceRider

Oct 17, 2011
Strazdas said:
refreshingly fun....

another zelda remake - check
level editor that even calculators 15 years ago had and PCs had BETTER one for a decade - check
another super smash bros - check
nothing but sequels - check

so, nothing refreshing or fun after all

Unlike Microsoft and Sony, who follow similar patterns year after year, Nintendo does whatever it wants.
Yes, Nintendo does what it wants - does the same thing every year. and peopel still call it new.

weirdee said:
y'know what

i know how sony and microsoft court investors, and i guess that's how they stay afloat, but

maybe i want to play, some freaking games???

instead of increasing shareholder value
well, then you should look at SONY, who announced the most new games at this E3.

It's all perspective. You look at who announced the most new games and how many of those games are "new"

"Another Zelda Remake" - which was....what? I saw no remake. I saw in-game footage of a new crossover-ish title in Hyrule Warriors and Cinematic footage from next years Zelda U title which Aonuma says will be more expansive and you can travel in any direction and reach the mountains seen in the distance (kinda like what Xenoblade did).
"Level editor" - you mean Mario Maker? So what if things years ago could do something similar? This is the first Mario Paint like title in ages, and some people (young and old) actually like that.
"Nothing but sequels" - Bayonetta 2, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, and I guess Mario Party 10 and Smash count as well. That's only 4 sequels out of the around 10 titles they talked about. So what? Franchises are built on "Sequels". You want to complain about the countless Call of Duty and Battlefield games released every year, too? What about the yearly sports games which are pretty much just patches, upgrades, and roster changes.

"Nothing refreshing at all" what about a full day of showing actual game play for almost all titles brought up instead of standing on a stage all day talking while showing pretty cinematics and next to no gameplay. Nintendo even held a tournament for a game that technically isn't even done yet and it went off without a hitch or glitch.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
PeaceRider said:
Dark Knifer said:
I don't understand the hype for hyrule warriors though. Almost every japanese franchise has a dynasty warriors knock off at some point, why is it when nintendo does it it's a big deal?

It's a big deal because ever sense the debacle with the Philips CD-I and the Super Mario Bros. live action movie, Nintendo has held it's titles close to itself hand has rarely let outside groups play around with their big names. Seeing Nintendo let a trusted group like the team behind the still popular Dynasty/Samurai Warriors titles make a spin off based on one of the most popular and beloved franchises is a good sign that Nintendo might ease up and let outside teams take a crack at making games with the Big N's main characters.
You mean like Other M?

Well you have a point in that its a very safe gamble in comparison to that so that would be kind of nice.

I'm probably not interested in the game itself since dynasty warriors bores me but maybe its a sign nintendo will be more interesting in the future.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
PeaceRider said:
It's all perspective. You look at who announced the most new games and how many of those games are "new"

"Another Zelda Remake" - which was....what? I saw no remake. I saw in-game footage of a new crossover-ish title in Hyrule Warriors and Cinematic footage from next years Zelda U title which Aonuma says will be more expansive and you can travel in any direction and reach the mountains seen in the distance (kinda like what Xenoblade did).
"Level editor" - you mean Mario Maker? So what if things years ago could do something similar? This is the first Mario Paint like title in ages, and some people (young and old) actually like that.
"Nothing but sequels" - Bayonetta 2, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, and I guess Mario Party 10 and Smash count as well. That's only 4 sequels out of the around 10 titles they talked about. So what? Franchises are built on "Sequels". You want to complain about the countless Call of Duty and Battlefield games released every year, too? What about the yearly sports games which are pretty much just patches, upgrades, and roster changes.

"Nothing refreshing at all" what about a full day of showing actual game play for almost all titles brought up instead of standing on a stage all day talking while showing pretty cinematics and next to no gameplay. Nintendo even held a tournament for a game that technically isn't even done yet and it went off without a hitch or glitch.
That would be SONY. not that im defending them or anything. its simple factual that they amounced the most games.

Yes, hyracule warriors is the zelda remake. oh and yeah they also have a sequel. like the billion zelda games wasnt enough.
Mario maker is mistitled. you can only make individual levels in it. a superior program, that allws you to actually make mario games using assets of all mario titles is FREE, released a decade ago. so they are essentialy releasing a inferior program, 10 years too late and asking money for it. not something im going to praise even if some people like it.
Baynetta 2 isnt a sequel? it even has 2 in the name for Jims sake!
and kirby os your new IP?
Or Mario party 10.

Oh, and yes i do complain about countless COD and BF games too. And Yearly 60 dollar sport game DLCs are even worse than that.

you got a point with gameplay i admit.

PeaceRider

Oct 17, 2011
Strazdas said:
PeaceRider said:
That would be SONY. not that im defending them or anything. its simple factual that they amounced the most games.

Yes, hyracule warriors is the zelda remake. oh and yeah they also have a sequel. like the billion zelda games wasnt enough.
Mario maker is mistitled. you can only make individual levels in it. a superior program, that allws you to actually make mario games using assets of all mario titles is FREE, released a decade ago. so they are essentialy releasing a inferior program, 10 years too late and asking money for it. not something im going to praise even if some people like it.
Baynetta 2 isnt a sequel? it even has 2 in the name for Jims sake!
Or Mario party 10.

Oh, and yes i do complain about countless COD and BF games too. And Yearly 60 dollar sport game DLCs are even worse than that.

you got a point with gameplay i admit.
What exactly is Hyrule Warriors a "remake" of???
What is this program you speak of? Was it officially licensed by Nintendo? Probably not.
When did I not say Bayonetta 2 was not a sequel?? I was listing off the "sequels" that you could of possibly of been talking about, which there aren't as many as you first made it out to seem.
When did I count a Kirby game as new IP?

mister R

Apr 3, 2014
PeaceRider said:
hyracule warriors actually looks pretty fun!

i've never played dynasty warriors before but this is tempting me to get into it one day

and yeah they're making a new zelda but at least they're trying something kinda different with the whole open-world thing.

they haven't really done that since like zelda 1 xD

also you said:

Or Mario party 10.
but they have got a new ip!!!

look! it's got like squids and stuff :D

see??? they're doing some new things!!

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Silentpony said:
Oh OH! I see what happened. Yeah, no, see you got 'refreshingly fun' mixed up with 'dull, predictable and boring. Again.'
Same thing happened to me once when I had a cold. Told everyone it was refreshingly fun.

This post couldn't be any more cynical if it tried.