Elderly Woman Pokes Cable, Cuts Internet Access in Three Countries

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Russian_Assassin said:
V8 Ninja said:
"In Soviet Russia, YOU destroy the internet!"
GEORGIA! Not Russia! Get your facts straight goddammit!
Well, he did say Soviet Russia so technically it was not entirely right but not totally wrong too...

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, I'm going to state the opinion noone else wants to mention. At 75 years old it doesn't mean she's totally passive or doesn't have an agenda. You'd be surprised at what a lot of seniors get up to, and how a lot of them don't hesitate to play the "I'm old, it was an accident" card.

While it's possible this was an accident, a cable that is that signifigant, above and beyond that being a bad design choice, being accidently severed by someone seems to be beyond belief. While possible that it was an accident, I wouldn't dismiss the possibility that she knew what she was doing, or someone else put her up to it.

Either that or the story is a total fabrication to cover the goverment taking down that internet for a period of time for whatever reason. I believe the term disinformation started with the USSR, and this is it's old stomping grounds, despite Georgia's interesting recent relations with Russia... they probably still routinely operate in pretty much the same ways.

The disturbing thing to point out here is that this shows the viability of an "internet kill switch" at least in this neck of the woods... which might be why everything was so dependant on that one cable. This could be a test of that.

While potentially real, I mean wierd stuff does happen, this one strikes me as being a bit beyond belief.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
Elderly Woman Pokes Cable, Cuts Internet Access in Three CountriesA senior citizen inadvertently cut the internet access of three countries while digging with a spade shovel.

Some citizens of the former Soviet Union make money by digging for unused copper cables and selling them as scrap. A 75-year-old woman from Georgia was doing just that when she accidentally hit and damaged a fiber-optic cable, cutting off internet access for millions of people in three different countries.

A system monitoring damage notified authorities who arrived shortly after the woman hit the cable. They arrested her on suspicion of damaging property, but she was temporarily released for "old age." She could face up to three years in prison.
"We were originally sentencing you to 3 years prison, for criminal damage, but in view of your age, we've reduced it to life imprisonment" :D

Seriously, we're at what level of technical achievements when an old lady can take away 3 countries' internet with a shovel?

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
Nocta-Aeterna said:
HankMan said:
In Soviet Russia...

Damit I got nuthin!
In Soviet Russia, Old Lady Haxxes you?
In Soviet Russia, yo momma makes 'your friends' jokes.

Not really related to the situation, I just really like that one :D

OT: At first I thought it was typo, and you meant 'Counties'. I mean, it's impossible for a single person to destroy the internet connection to the three countr-

Oh wait, that's exactly what happened. Then again, Armenia and Azerbaijan are not very rich countries, so no doubt that they went for Georgian service...

The_Jock

Jan 20, 2009
She obviously decided to show us young things how they used to hack internets in her day.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
"They arrested her on suspicion of damaging property, but she was temporarily released for "old age."

So next time anyone gets arrested tell them you're 84 and you'll get out of jail!

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
Shows you how fragile our internet can be in some places. Considering how much we rely on it now, imagine our entire country being without it.

z3rostr1fe

Aug 14, 2009
Poke??? That was poking??!?!?!?! She severed the very lifeblood of our kin! Jail I say! Jail!!!

Ahem... Pardon my manners...

OT:
HankMan said:
In Soviet Russia...

Damit I got nuthin!
In Soviet Russia, Internet KILL Old Lady!
(Yea, those who got interrupted in "what they were doing" will definitely kill her...)

Another one:
In America, You Hate Captcha
In Soviet Russia, Captcha Hate YOU!

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
Oh yeah, I've already read about it yesterday. A German news agency reported about it. It was quite the fun read.

AssassinJoe

Oct 1, 2010
Well, we all knew that one day an old person would destroy the internet.

I'm not teaching my dad how to go online now, that's for damn sure!

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
So I woke up just an hour ago and I read the title like this:

Elderly Woman... Does something ...Cuts Internet Access in Three Countries.

My reaction:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5225/5597708663_6ca2914eff.jpg

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
On the list of things that I have to say about this:
1. Okay guys, someone's grandma killed the internet. Game's over, we can all go home now.
2. LOL FOREVER.
3. 75 y/o Russian woman: Final boss of the internet. She giveth and she can taketh away, damnit!

Chiefwakka

Mar 18, 2009
1 cable.....3 million people...wow.

I wonder, if in America, there's that "1 cable" to cut. I'm sure, after reading this, someone is out there looking for it now.