Election results discussion thread (and sadly the inevitable aftermath)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Any site or social network that values freedom of speech (as an ideal) will become a homogenous echo-chamber because those who don't value freedom of speech won't ever go there, so you'll ever only hear one opinion.

One side welcomes everyone and encourages everyone to speak
The other side welcomes only a few and allows only certain viewpoints to be spoken
The other side doesn't want to go where everyone is welcomed.
Nah, I lovd my speech with the insults and denigrating. This means that viewpoints dont exist - only insults and cancel culture. /s

Facebook is rife with this stuff so I dont bother speaking on there.

But hey, me wanting a place to actually discuss things instead of insult battle is the worst. As I said, it's great you guys got your safe space. Congrats.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Case in point, there's an entire topic that can't be discussed here.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Very upset I can’t discuss Holocaust denial with the homies anymore
Edit: I actually have no clue what topic is against the rules and wouldn’t care anyway
Yo I'm down to talk about wooden doors

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
No, I don't like it, why do you ask? Are you trying to set up a gotcha?
Yep. But it's cool dude, if your not into it.

Cancel Culture is Free Speech. Boycotting, targeting people, demanding companies tow an ideology and general yelling and screaming. You know, like other places that pretend to be about Free Speech.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020

Cancel Culture is Free Speech. Boycotting, targeting people, demanding companies tow an ideology and general yelling and screaming. You know, like other places that pretend to be about Free Speech.
Cool. Did I say I wanted to censor the tactics of cancel culture? Did I say that I want to censor calls to boycott, or "targeting people" or demands to companies?
No, you just asked me if I "liked" it.
It might be a foreign concept to you, but you can both dislike speech and at the same time, not want it to be silenced or censored.

There's a saying you probably have heard before "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Last edited:

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Great sale there. I'm sure to check the hottest rignt wing meme
yes "Right wing" memes like this you mean?

Screen-Shot-2020-11-18-at-12.24.47-PM.png

I mean you can tell it's a right wing one it's not covered with 500 words of text in a font colour that is barely legible lol
Your inability to comprehend metaphor is predictable
You inability to argue in any other means than to try and justify calling people Nazis is not though. I didn't think you were quite that desperate and lacking in capa

Nah, I lovd my speech with the insults and denigrating. This means that viewpoints dont exist - only insults and cancel culture. /s

Facebook is rife with this stuff so I dont bother speaking on there.

But hey, me wanting a place to actually discuss things instead of insult battle is the worst. As I said, it's great you guys got your safe space. Congrats.
Looks at this thread

Haven't we just had a few pages of people comparing other to Nazis? Does that not count as insults now or are those just be done by people "On the right side of history" so it's fine?

I mean come on there's been a number of people on twitter who released the personal info of people claiming they were Nazis, got the wrong people in a number of cases and didn't even get a slap on the wrist before.

No. Because in it's most extreme form it's not about speech so much as intimidation and attempts to win just due to forcing people to give up seeing not giving up as more of a pain.

E.G. when Reylo shippers went after Star Wars Social media manager because she asked them to pull back a bit on the Resurrect Ben Solo stuff and not be quite so aggressive as the studio was seeing it as negative interaction so were saying to cut back on Kylo content being posted. What happened? Death threats and outright abuse such that the social media manager deleted her personal account rather than have to put up with it.

There were 3 choices:

Put up with them for however long they have and not be able to easily use social media in peace

Give in to them to get them to shut up

Give up on social media herself for anything but her job role and stop being able to interact with fans.

She chose the latter.

Cancel culture isn't about merit of points it's about who can shout loudest to cause the biggest headache and sway some-one in authority to action to try and remove the platform of another as a way to prevent their speech.

With what's happening now, people are telling others they no longer want to listen to their noise so are going into the other room. The others are now mad and want to demolish the other room to stop them lol

Last edited:

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Oh, it's one of those implied things you did actually mean

You're a liar. Prove it
Just read the rules, stop baiting people. It's getting embarrassing
Ah, ok. It was Holocaust denial and not some strange reference to whatever this unspeakable topic is. Good.
Same, just read the rules, it's right there.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Oh, it's one of those implied things you did actually mean
Okay, so you're just claiming that I want to censor things without evidence.

You're a liar. Prove it

Y'know, on the old forums, you'd get dinged for calling someone a liar. You can say that what they said was a lie, and that was fine, but you couldn't "attack the person" directly by calling them a liar.

Last edited:

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
You inability to argue in any other means than to try and justify calling people Nazis is not though. I didn't think you were quite that desperate and lacking in capa
Firstly I am full of capa. Secondly, pointing out your argument is analogous to a very stupid one is not calling you a Nazi, nor is it intended to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.