Election results discussion thread (and sadly the inevitable aftermath)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Both sides will not accept a defeat. It's up to you Americans to decide whether you'd like to keep the peace or not. Florida 2004 will pale in comparison to what is to come.
Prophetic.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
View attachment 2388
Can't find any proper confirmation of this though.

edit....
Kevin Greeson, of Alabama, had high blood pressure and suffered a heart attack "in the midst of the excitement", the 55-year-old's family confirmed.
The dad's Facebook page contains multiple photos of him posing with two AR-15 rifles and he reportedly regularly posted on website Parler encouraging violence against Democratic supporters.

So likely fake like the "Trump supporter who burned is trainer while wearing them"

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
Imagine someone who sits in their basement with a corkboard covered in connected strings and a man trying to map out government conspiracies before planning how he will destroy the evil people running the shadow government through his personal blog. Is that imaginary person planning sedition and terror? Sure. Are they important? No. Like, if you walk out your front door and declare yourself president of the United States and start demanding people respect your power as president, nobody cares. You're trying to take over the country, but nobody cares, because your actions are powerless.

These actions were powerless. That's not defending them or being in favor of them. That's saying there's literally zero chance storming Congress was going to have any meaningful impact on the changing of the president. You are entertaining these people's delusions, and you're telling me that I'm supporting them if I don't.
Jesus, again with this? This is literally the Sideshow Bob defense:

A failed fascist coup doesn't become not a fascist coup because it failed. If I spray the front of your house with bullets while you happen to be in the basement, am I off the hook because my murder attempt had literally zero chance of success? Fucking listen to yourself.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Fucking listen to yourself.
Did I say they haven't committed crimes? Did I say they shouldn't be arrested? Why are you suggesting I'm saying the opposite of what I am?

I'm not defending these people at all. I'm dismissing the importance of the event. Why are you so insistent on elevating these people?

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Did I say they haven't committed crimes? Did I say they shouldn't be arrested? Why are you suggesting I'm saying the opposite of what I am?

I'm not defending these people at all. I'm dismissing the importance of the event. Why are you so insistent on elevating these people?
your* people

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Excusing whom? You got any quotes of me excusing the people who stormed Congress? Can you find me saying a single positive word about them?

This is absolutely accurate, you're repeating Sideshow Bob's argument for why we should dismiss an attempted fascist coup.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020

This is absolutely accurate, you're repeating Sideshow Bob's argument for why we should dismiss an attempted fascist coup.

K6ZVX2l1.png

If it was a "fascist coup" they would have all brought guns, and they would have still been there.

It wasn't "fascist coup" anymore than CHAZ and burning of Minneapolis was an attempted communist takeover.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

Crimson. Knock it off will you?

He's said his position.

You don't seem to want to accept what his position is.
You can't force him to take the position you want for a convenient argument here. Argue with what he's saying or go off into the corner with your strawman please

Reactions: Houseman

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020

If one guy with zip ties is enough to prove a "Fascist coup" then one grandma with a tiny flag should cancel it out.
I mean, that's the standard of evidence we're dealing with here. Just pictures of people who either look threatening or innocuous.
1 + -1 = 0

So, if you want, we can do this all day. I can keep finding pictures of people in silly costumes to disrupt your narrative that this was a fascist coup.
Or I can post that article about how a prominent BLM member was arrested at the capitol. Does that mean BLM are fascists too?

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
They killed a cop
So did BLM, so have a lot of other people and/or groups. That either suggests a double-standard or that this was not a coup.

In order to determine whether this was or wasn't a coup, let alone a fascist one, let's do this the right way.
First, define "coup"
Then, define "fascist".
Then prove how the event in question satisfies both those definitions.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
No, I'm not. I haven't told you to dismiss the actions. You responded to my post saying they should be arrested, for God's sake. But you should stop treating this as an important political movement. Why are you so insistent on making this matter to the overall political landscape? Are you hoping this is an excuse for the people who do have power to make changes? Are you hoping to sink a Republican Party that has condemned the actions? Or are you just attacking me for whatever personal gratification it gives you, and the reasoning doesn't need to make sense?

Regardless, you're supporting this. You're taking people who attacked the US Congress and telling the world that these people are important and have power.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Would Trump or these extremists have turned back from intimidating Congress into compliance if they could have done so?

I really don't think we can safely say that they would not. Yes, they were never going to succeed, and in that sense it is overstated. It's some amazingly sloppy security that they even got through the front door. But if the intent was there and it credibly was, the claim of "(fascist) coup" is not without some substance, no matter how half-arsed its execution was. However, irrespective of whether it was a coup or not, it is a huge shock for the parliament of a country like the USA to be overrun in that manner. The reputational damage is huge: it made the USA look like a banana republic. A symbolic attack on democracy, and for the president himself to have played a crucial part instigating it... wow.

Many of us spent years saying Trump was unfit for office, and this illustrates why perhaps more than anything. The problem is that many people who have invested so much in defending him don't want to see how bad it is, because that might mean they've been wrong for the last four years, and that's a big emotional hurdle to jump.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
So did BLM, so have a lot of other people and/or groups. That either suggests a double-standard or that this was not a coup.

In order to determine whether this was or wasn't a coup, let alone a fascist one, let's do this the right way.
First, define "coup"
Then, define "fascist".
Then prove how the event in question satisfies both those definitions.
A 'Coup' is "a sudden, violent, and illegal seizure of power from a government ". Check, it was an attempt to take control of the Capital building and prevent the ratification of the electoral college.

Fascism is "a form of far-right, authoritarian ultranationalism characterized by dictatorial power, forcible suppression of opposition and strong regimentation of society and of the economy " Check. Forcible suppression of opposition. They tried to force Democrats and Republicans to violate the Constitution and prevent the ratification of the electoral college.

The events satisfy both definitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.