Endings You Didn't Like (Expect Spoilers)

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
king_katchit said:
I did not care for the ending of Portal 2.
What are you talking about. Portal 2s ending battle was fucking awesome. And how can you not love the turret choir?

Feb 28, 2008
Pretty much every book in Iain M. Banks' Culture series...

Honestly, he makes the Culture so overwhelmingly intelligent and sophisticated that they end up simply solving all of the problems that he posits for the book. Essentially, in one novel there is a plot to detonate a bomb on an Orbital station, which would kill billions of people. Then the Culture simply works it out and is there to take revenge on the people who plotted it...

That's how he wraps up a 350+ page book...

Darkstorm091

Jan 27, 2010
I love the game to death as it's amazing and I don't get all the hate, but I'm still throwing in Chrono Cross.

The game has a terrible ending. The build up is fine, there's lots of dramatic tension, all the Xanatos Pileups start to run into each other and you run around ending all the plots the several sides have been planning, but the game seriously should have ended after the fight with the Dragon God. That was a worthy and challenging final boss, with all the plot ends tied up nicely after that battle.

What do we get instead? A piss-poor final boss in the Time Devourer all because herp derp we have to save Schala, who has no relevance to the plot at all, and seems to have been thrown in at the last second to appease the fans who hated the fact that Schala dies in Chrono Trigger.

Ugh.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
The_Waspman said:
How does the final cutscene say this?
Half the characters are dead. Hugo Strange, Ra's, Talia, Joker, Clayface...

As for endings I didn't like, plenty of them. Though I really didn't like the ending to 'Her Fearful Symmetry' by Audrey Niffenegger. Not that it was bad, it was a very well conceived ending, but was sinister, didn't sit right with me (while I'm not opposed to 'unhappy' endings, this was downright evil)
You're confusing Arkham City and Arkham Asylum. Separate games.

Saltyk said:
A while back, I watched The Departed (if you haven't seen it you should). In the end, Leonardo Dicaprio has caught Matt Damon red handed, has him hand cuffed and entirely beaten. Then, on the way out, he gets shot by another mole in the police department. The fuck? It came out of nowhere. One minute, we're looking at him and the next, he's dead! We didn't even know there was a second mole! Then, Damon shots the other mole and makes it look like they shot each other. Finally, Damon is shot by DiCaprio's former boss. Okay, so I was kinda happy that Damon got his comeuppance, but I didn't like that the only real hero (DiCaprio) died.
I loved that aspect of it. You're meant to think everyone wins and then BAM - DiCaprio's brains splattered all across that elevator.

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
The original FMA anime ending was *utterly stupid.* I hate endings where it feels like nothing was resolved, or no one learned anything, and if people's memories are erased, that's what happens. Same with, say, the first Pokemon movie, and...I forget what else, but it seems to be a trope.

The end of Persona 3. Death does a similar thing; how can your protagonist have accomplished/learned anything for themselves, if they're dead? It's horribly unsatisfying, and a real downer.

Death Note, because it should have ended somehow around the time L died. L was pretty much half the reason I watched the show and read the manga, and without him it was half as good and thus not worth my time.

The Maltese Falcon. I mean seriously, the whole thing was a fake the entire time? You mean all this crap happened for *no good reason*? Laaaaame. They were lying to you about the stakes the whole time. I don't like being lied to in my movies, not this badly.

As for Chrono Cross, as mentioned earlier, wait, the entire game *failed* in that it wasn't a real sequel to Chrono Trigger, so it seems like the ending would be the only good part of it. :-/

KingofallCosmos

Nov 15, 2010
Not a particular favorite, but "The Perfect Storm" should've just amputated the last 10 minutes. I'm not really keen on hollywood cinema anyway, but this one hit me cause the film is actually quite good, bar the enforced "closure" ending.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
The_Waspman said:
How does the final cutscene say this?
Half the characters are dead. Hugo Strange, Ra's, Talia, Joker, Clayface...
Maybe your thinking of city(which I haven't played yet) but the Joker is shown alive in the final cut scene, and the rest don't even show up in the game

The worst ending I can think of right now is Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

thatguy1

Mar 1, 2010
The original deus ex, the ending where you take Tong's suggestion. You could rule the world in two very different ways....

Or you could blow up everything and die.

Jorl

Aug 22, 2011
Inception! After re-watching it in an attempt to get my head around the different dream levels and what not, I found myself ready to scream at the movie when we hit the credits with Cobb's totem still wobbling.

After being so obsessed with being reunited with his kids, I'm not surprised that he ended up not caring whether it was real or not, but I can't be the only one desperate to know! GAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!

cora mcstrap

Jul 21, 2011
Oblivion was the lamest ending of any game i have ever played. You play a very below par main quest to be faced with the big bad in the end. And you don't fight. You clap politly. Pretty much hell on earth for story line lovers

Jorl

Aug 22, 2011
Also, The Sixth Sense should've just called it a day when we realise that Willis has been dead the whole time. The cheesy cliche passing to the other side sequence spoilt the entire film for me.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Sparrow said:
Saltyk said:
A while back, I watched The Departed (if you haven't seen it you should). In the end, Leonardo Dicaprio has caught Matt Damon red handed, has him hand cuffed and entirely beaten. Then, on the way out, he gets shot by another mole in the police department. The fuck? It came out of nowhere. One minute, we're looking at him and the next, he's dead! We didn't even know there was a second mole! Then, Damon shots the other mole and makes it look like they shot each other. Finally, Damon is shot by DiCaprio's former boss. Okay, so I was kinda happy that Damon got his comeuppance, but I didn't like that the only real hero (DiCaprio) died.
I loved that aspect of it. You're meant to think everyone wins and then BAM - DiCaprio's brains splattered all across that elevator.
Don't get me wrong there are plenty of twist endings I like. I actually liked the ending of Repo Men for example. But this was one time that I was actually upset by the ending. I like DiCaprio's character in it. I was rooting for him. And just when I thought he was going to come out on top: BAM! DiCaprio's brains splattered all across that elevator. It's different when I actually like a character on a personal level, I guess. Which is probably the best compliment I could give the story and DiCaprio's acting in that movie.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
king_katchit said:
I did not care for the ending of Portal 2.
Care to explain? If you're going to criticize something you may as well give a reason why.

DOOMGUY '93

Aug 15, 2011
I dont like. wait scratch that, I HATE any video game ending where your character or the badass dies becuase to me that is just a HUGE middle finger and to its just "I had to go through all that just to die anyways?" yea that annoys the balls off of me.also i didnt like the ending to I am Legend

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
Griphphin said:
The Soul Eater anime,
I'm under the understanding that the manga continues and the anime ends as such because of studio funding problems, but I still lament that the ending, or even that last segment of the show couldn't be as good as the first half or so.
Yeah.... i really hated that ending... the anime at some point just saied "Fuck it let's make shit up!!"... i still prefer the on-going manga.

Also a ending that i really hated was Drakan the order of the flame for Pc.... i basicly went on a super awesome adventure, on a gorgeous and epic world, fought undead, monsters and all to save my brother and... then i got to the end...

You fight the last boss (a 3 headed dragon), wich was horribly easy to fight against. After that a cinematic kicks in. It's the brother falling on the void projected on a mirror and some douchebag laughing. THE END. there's no side endings, no way to change it. the ending is your brother falling and someone laughing. and that's it. And the sequel to the game is a side story so you never know wtf happened at the ending events of drakan...

Epic game, horribly stupid ending...

Crazy_Dude

Nov 3, 2010
Saltyk said:
Also, I just saw Immortals the other night, and while it was pretty good, I didn't like the ending. I'd explain, but I fear even in a spoiler tag, it'd be too tempting to read, and I don't want to spoil it for those who hadn't seen it yet. This is actually what prompted this thread in the first place.

I have to agree with you. I totally loved Immortals and the action scenes were very cool to say the least. The ending though was pretty bad but I still enjoyed the movie.

OctoH

Feb 14, 2011
The ending to RAGE was pretty disappointing. There was so much build up...and then nothing. Not even a final boss. And the ending cinema was not even that great.