Epic Games Unveils Fortnite

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Epic Games Unveils Fortnite

Epic's new Big Idea is a fortress-building, zombie-shooting action-strategy game called Fortnite.

Epic rolled out Fortnite at the Spike Video Game Awards this past weekend with a trailer and not much else. Cliff Bleszinski, Epic's design director, said during the show that Epic wanted to "switching things up a little bit and do something different and fun" with Fortnite, describing it as "a world where you explore, you scavenge, you build and ultimate you survive."

He was a little more forthcoming in an interview [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhqu-kPySpY] after the show, although he maintained that the studio isn't prepared to get into detail right now. "Traditionally, we make shooters and shooting is in there, but it's really not what the game is all about," he said. "It's really a game that is more about survival than anything else." The game was pitched internally several months ago and came together "lightning fast," he added, so at this point Epic is still "figuring out what to do with the lightning we have in a bottle."

The Fortnite teaser has a definite Team Fortress 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Team-Fortress-2-Pc/dp/B00140S21O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323704351&sr=8-1] vibe and indicates that the game will involve fortress building by day and fortress defense by night. So there you go - what do you think? Platforms, release date and other such information isn't even close to being announced, so don't bother asking.

Source: Forbes [http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2011/12/10/epic-games-new-franchise-fortnite-blends-survival-horror-with-tower-defense-strategy/]

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Well, I'd say it looks nice, and it reminds me of Orcs Must Die: adopting a concept like tower defense, or in this case, those "defend the castle" flash games and giving it a new coat of paint.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
When I saw the name Cliff Bleszinski, all of my interest in the game instantly disappeared. Gods, I hate that douchenozzle.

emenar

Oct 23, 2009
cos it looks like TF2 and dungeon defenders and stuff like that, im thinking its gonna be a steam game, or perhaps one of the Xbox live downloadables ones.

Makes me think of a more animated version of that Starcraft 2 campaign mission. Build ur fort at day, slay zombies at night... wonder if u can send ur little fire spitting cars around the map at midnight in this too ^^

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
That's a win! That's an "Epic moves on to colorful tower defense game" win!

Roll the next clip Steven!

The only way I could see this failing is if everyone just got sick of zombie games in general... Considering the amount of zombies in games this year it might actually be a possibility.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
I think using the Team Fortress font for the logo at the end was perhaps a little too on the nose, but the game idea sounds intriguing at least...

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
Another Zombie game that really doesn't do anything new. Well at lease it ain't brown yet I think Epic is making colorful to denounce those that say they can only make brown games. I'll give it a pass because of Cliffy B

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Kevlar Eater said:
When I saw the name Cliff Bleszinski, all of my interest in the game instantly disappeared. Gods, I hate that douchenozzle.
This, just this.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Concept? Good.

I'll be waiting for game play information before I get too excited though. It's going to be a while.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
SteelStallion said:
TheDooD said:
Another Zombie game that really doesn't do anything new. Well at lease it ain't brown yet I think Epic is making colorful to denounce those that say they can only make brown games. I'll give it a pass because of Cliffy B
Woah woah woah, you're assuming a lot of things there from a 1 minute teaser trailer.

I'd hold onto your pants and wait for some more information to come out.
If a teaser makes me go "meh zombies" then everything else won't change the fact that it has zombies which are over done in gaming. Plus the fact it's castle defense which is also overused doesn't help'em either. Until proven otherwise Epic is just shining shit so they won't get called out for making another brown game.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
You sure this is Epic games? Theres not a single muscle bound fuck head in that trailer, unless they're saving that for DLC

sheah1

Jul 4, 2010
This looks.... really awesome actually. I love the "scavenge/build/defend" vibe. Honestly I'm surprised this hasn't been done before, like taking the best bits of Resident Evil 4, my only worry is that it won't come to PS3 (please Cliffy? I'll be your friend?).
Wonder how big a part multiplayer will be....

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Well... it's Epic. They make good games. Hopefully, since this looks like a very simple game, they'll be able to spend a lot of time maximising the goodness they put into it.

Sarpedon

Feb 9, 2011
I for one hope this is a little minecrafty in design. The concept sounds interesting, but it depends on what it means by "build a fortress." Does it mean construct the fortress from scratch the way you want it built? Or, does it mean that you are given a prebuilt fortress that you can modify with certain defenses?