Escape to the Movies: Battleship

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
Zombine3D said:
Is "Iron Sky" banned in USA for showing the country in a bad light?
A U.S. theatrical release is confirmed, just no set date yet.

http://www.ironsky.net/site/film/releasedates/

What you said was silly.

OT: Not even Liam Neeson could save Battleship, eh? I am shocked. Shocked! Well, not that shocked.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Zombine3D said:
Well, "Iron Sky" is also a comedy, compared to a serious treatment of pretty much anything, and thus it gets a pass of sorts.

That said, the way the military is portrayed in "Battleship" really isn't much differant than say "Top Gun" or any other similar movie, to the point of it being painfully stereotypical more than anything else.

As far as how the character in question managed to hold Officer rank, understand that in the US the officers and enlisted are seperated from each other. While there are exceptions, they are two seperate entitites for purposes of advancement, training, etc, you do not start out as say an army private, or enlisted sea man, and then get promoted to Lieutenant. Rather you pass the tests, get accepted into the officers corps, and then come out as a Lieutenant to which there are grades. This guy as a Lieutenant is pretty much at the bottom, to wind up in charge he pretty much has to be the only remaining officer left with no chances of being replaced by a new commander (an issue created by the force field).

As much of a problem as it is, the guy is also banging the daughter of a senior officer AND his brother is also supposed to be a respected senior officer, and that can get someone fast tracked whether they like the person or not. Plenty of arseholes get by in the military with a surprising amount of authority for very similar reasons, not flattering, but it is true.

To be honest I'll also say that I think the military likes to cultivate that maverick image from Top Gun, Navy SEALS (old Charlie Sheen vehicle), and other sources. Kids look at that and figure the military won't be that bad, and see it as a place where they will have a lot of freedom. Then when they actually sign the papers and enlist, real world boot camp pretty much knocks it out of them, which is kind of the point of boot camp (to basically dehumanize and deconstruct what you were before, and rebuild it into an obeidient soldier).

Yeah, no matter what connections someone might have, the behavior exhibited in a lot of military movies would probably wind up with them in a brig, if not facing military justice and spending their lives in prison or being shot (if the behavior was in a combat zone). Of course by the time they get to the point of one of those movies they probably already had the crap knocked out of them to the point of at least being able to play the game enough to get by.

While kind of unrelated, one of my big problems with the "Star Trek" reboot was that they took this stereotype to the extreme in how they portrayed the new version of "James T. Kirk", to the point where the situation and his conduct was so totally out of line he should have been dumped out an airlock, or shot on the spot. A guy facing dishonorable discharge from the military who stows away on a military ship entering a combat situation is probably going to face death (on the spot), the guy acts insubordinate and out of control to the acting bridge officers (and arguably flag officers, exile to a planet is not viable, never mind promotion. Even if Spock was bordeline lobotomized to the point of not killing him, someone else would have, the problem probably would have been handled at a lower level. It made the entire thing kind of implausible, especially seeing as it would have meant The Federation would be incapable of functioning as a military organization.

Of course then again this was tenatively set in the same universe where they had Wesley Crusher scampering around in what should have been high security areas. Not to mention the whole "lol, what" situation of them bringing the entire families of soldiers onto the ship, and that was just TNG which actually had a better track record of common sense than most as far out of line as it got with the concepts.

I suppose if people can deal with the newest Trek, they aren't going to bat an eye at "Battleship", and the military itself has supported other similar takes on their own attitudes in the past.

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
Zydrate said:
Well, that's a shame. I will watch this eventually however, if anything for the couple good things Bob had to say about it.
Badass endings have saved movies (for me) before. For example, the first person sequence in Doom was amazing.

I don't hold much hope for MIB3, time travel tends to fuck with the enjoyment of something. I think that's what ultimately killed Heroes.
If I want time travel I'll stick with the Brits. Doctor Who, Red Dwarf, those were more fun with time travel than most American films or shows with the topic.

Although it did bug me with Doctor Who how they never answered the question of could you kill Hitler or not because he might be a fixed point in time.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Zombine3D said:
Dude, they showed "God Bless America" in the U.S.

When movies like that get released, there's usually a parent or 2 who get upset (unless fox news gets involved -shudders-), but it rarely ends in an outright ban.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Dana22 said:
I agree with what you said about Liam Neeson.

I think the same of Nick Cage, coincidentally. He played in Leaving Las Vegas, so fuck you, he can play in Wickerman and Ghost Rider if he enjoys it !
The difference is that Liam Neeson isn't laughably bad in his newer mediocre movies. I swear, it seems like there's 2 nick cages, and one is an insanely horrible actor while the other is a genius.

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
Taylor Kitsch's mouth is writing checks his body can't cash!

Stinger would like to bust Taylor Kitsch's butt, but he can't!

If Taylor Kitsch screws up just this much, he'll be flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong!

On a side note, as ludicrous as the idea of earth naval vessels versus obscenely advanced alien space technology may be, it may have been based as much on Battleship Galaxies [http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/93538/battleship-galaxies-the-saturn-offensive-game-set] as the original board game. As cheesy as this movie seems, though, I promise the Galaxies board game is actually fun and not stupid.

Mullahgrrl

Apr 20, 2008
So have you guys checked out the game? Its a shooter.

http://battleshipthevideogame.com/

My head actually hurts now.

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
Dangit2019 said:
The difference is that Liam Neeson isn't laughably bad in his newer mediocre movies. I swear, it seems like there's 2 nick cages, and one is an insanely horrible actor while the other is a genius.
I think Nic works best when they don't expect him to carry the whole movie. He's a supporting character in The Sorcerer's Apprentice (the quasi-eponymous "Sorcerer" to Jay Baruchel's "Apprentice"), and he's part of an ensemble cast in Kick-Ass, and he's actually pretty watchable and entertaining. But Family Man was a third-rate Wonderful Life rip-off, and Captain Corelli's Mandolin and City of Angels make me weep even to recall their existence.

Hindkjar

May 1, 2012
Liam Neeson can do whatever he wants :) Indeed... The all time greatest action guy movies are with him :) He might not have a big role in this movie, but I have to see it just because of him :p

tryagainlater

Feb 17, 2010
I said to myself when I first heard they were making a Battleship movie that if Liam Neeson dramatically said "that" line, I would go see the film. Thankfully, I don't have to waste my money now.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
MovieBob said:
MovieBob let's you know who sunk whose Battleship.
That bit at the end about "the line" never being used...

Several months ago I wrote a small one paragraph parody of the upcoming movie, not knowing that Liam Neeson was in the actual movie;

The Scene: Allied Admiral Smith (Liam Neeson) is on the deck of a shattered aircraft carrier with Enemy Admiral Jones (Kiefer Sutherland) at gunpoint. Smoke and flames rise from blast points all over the deck. Smith is glaring at Jones.

Admiral Smith: (growls) You sunk my Battleship! (shoots Jones in the head)

In your professional opinion, is my short scene there or the actual movie the better one?

CroutonsOfDeath

Jan 14, 2009
Can someone explain that ugly-ass batman thing to me? I don't keep up with everything.. is it a comic? a tv show? eh? :S

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
I am cautiously optimistic for Men in Black 3...the first one is a classic...the second one sucked so maybe the third one could go either way. I hope its good but it could be awful.

About the Battleship movie...my mate said it was corny as hell but he also said Rihanna was the worst actress in the whole movie...I'm still not gonna watch the crappy movie.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Oh, I loved battleship. [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/review_comments.php?id=6739]

Most ridiculous thing I'd seen in years. This sort of thing makes my jaw drop, that someone somewhere must have sat down and thought "this is a great idea!" Instead of throwing the writer out into the street, the producer smiled, and threw a couple of hundred million dollars into the guys lap. Fucking bonkers.

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
Forget you MovieBob I still have hope MiB3 is ganna be good. It could happen! Don't crush my dreams!