Escape to the Movies: Captain America

jonyboy13

Aug 13, 2010
Well, I sense the fanboyism seen in Watchmen review so I'll give this a pass.
I never really liked Captain America come to think of it. Ultimate goodie, the regular super strength and fights with a damn shield. Not my cup of tea, or cup of bacon for this matter.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
Great movie. Really fun. I have exactly one criticism: Chris Evans just does not have enough lines. I know they had to have all the montages and set pieces in there, but he really did an amazing job with what relatively few lines he had.

Faerillis

Oct 29, 2009
Despite the glowing review, I'm going to pass on this. Why? Exactly why you think; it's Captain America and I'm not American. Any movie where the over-idealized nice guy is wrapped up in a flag, of any country mind you, you're just going to piss-off everyone outside of that country with it. It doesn't hurt that this movie also contains every element of ultra-Americana imaginable: Flag ever present? Check; Over-Emphasizing America's role in WWII? Check; Overly nice main character shown as the quintessential American? Check.

mip0

Nov 25, 2009
*intro music*
"I'm trying to work out in my head exactly why Captain America is such a good movie. And make no mistake, Captain America is a really good movie."
*Pause* ok, that's enough of a spoiler warning. See you whenever it premiers here.

Operations

Mar 11, 2009
marioman360 said:
So it's awesome, eh?

Screw that! I'm gonna go watch the Reb Brown movie!
Some mad mod avoiding skills you got here posting one minute into a five and a half minute long vid.
I guess avoiding the word FIRST helped :p

PrinceofPersia said:
Anyone else hearing The Avengers theme "Fight as One" in their heads? Cause I am and it IS AWESOME!
Well I dont know that so all im hearing is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhnUgAaea4M at the moment :)

I can certainly cheer for an American hero providing he avoids saying "Math" "Coo-dohs(kudos)" and "My Bad", those being my big 3 US bugbears.

Gyrefalcon

Jun 9, 2009
THANK YOU, MOVIE BOB!!! I mean that, sincerely. You saved me from being really disappointed with Green Lantern since all the theaters were showing images of the other lanterns equally with the lead characters so I assumed they would have equal screen time. And I would have been horribly, horribly wrong.

To hear that this one is a lean, clean take on the original Captain America story line that will honestly live up to expectation is a great relief. I hate to get my hopes up too high sometimes, but the Dark Knight has at least set a higher bar for comic book movies and it is great to see the film industries aiming for that mark or even higher. Keep up the good work, as always, and I will see you next time for certain! :)

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
Wow, now I'm really sad. I had been invited to a pre-screening of Captain America a few days ago, but they massively overbooked and asked for anyone that would to cancel and they'd give us free tickets to go see whatever. I thought "well, it's Cap America, no biggie," and did so. Having seen this, now I'm wishing I hadn't.

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
71-86% on rotten tomatoes. (Depending on who you ask) Not bad at all for a super hero film.

I am glad to hear it rocks as I turned in some free movie passes for tickets to tonight's showing to make sure it did not sell out on me. Looking forward to it! (And finally used those passes.)

rayen020

May 20, 2009
so i have to ask, is this as good or better than dark knight? Most pro critics don't seem to think so but in general it seems to be because of chris evans not being popular enough. i will be seeing this.

NicolasMarinus

Sep 21, 2009
Would I, as a non-American who gags at American über-patriotism, like this movie?

I mean, if I see the stars and stripes in the background somewhere while some dude is giving a grandiose speech including lots of moral lessons and ending it with some reference to just how great the US is, I am generally inclined to quit the movie (I'm thinking of Independence day for one).

P.S. Alan Silvestri underrated? The man who brought us the theme from Predator?

moosek

Nov 5, 2009
No irony? I think we've lost the meaning of the word 'irony'. The modern interpretation is, "I'm wearing this dumb shirt out of irony." The classic interpretation is good way to evoke both tragedy and humor, but it's difficult to define now. Something that turns your expectations around for the sake of the story sounds like good irony.