Escape to the Movies: Captain America

icame

Aug 4, 2010
I'm still on edge about seeing this movie. Despite your praise, I just don't know if I want to watch something like this as a non-american. I also did not like how the trailers looked at all.

On a side note, anyone want to make bets that this movies domestic gross is way high then its worldwide?

Oro44

Jan 28, 2009
*sigh* Fox News viewers are already calling this movie leftist propaganda.

goliath6711

May 3, 2010
The whole "I'm not going to see the Captain America movie because his name is 'Captain America'" has got to be one of the most insulting reasons for not going to see a movie. Did the whole "I love my country, but I'm not going to shove it down people's throats" not register with anyone? You can have the same type of character representing any nationality and no one except the most bullheaded of morons would look at it as any type of sensationalist propaganda.

Don't believe me? Here's a short story (not mine) from another side and tell me if the main character doesn't come across as another version of Captain America.
http://soviet-superwoman.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=168#/d2x2oi2
http://soviet-superwoman.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=168#/d2x6t46
http://soviet-superwoman.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=168#/d2xbkvw
http://soviet-superwoman.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=168#/d2xeej3

Seamus8

Mar 26, 2008
Now that Bill Roper is in charge of Disney's marvel game studios, perhaps we can get some good games out of the Captain America franchise as well.

BattleAxeRX

Aug 21, 2009
Bob, hopefully I'll feel the same after seeing the movie, because if you're lifting this movie up like xmen first class and it turns out to be another utter disappointment, I will be one sad battleaxe.

Side note: I only listened to the review this time, i want any visuals you may have showed to be a surprise. peace!

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
Aiddon said:
BlackSaint09 said:
Can i have my Deadpool movie please?
Deadpool would probably too friggin awesome and thus overshadow everything Marvel has put on the big screen over the past ten years. Seriously, the Deadpool movie needs to be a satire of superhero movies' worst habits and pretenses
Or better yet it can be a five minute clip of Deathstroke kicking "Wade Wilson's" plagarized butt.

I would watch that.

I wouldn't pay to.

Sorry but apparently Marvel would rather make money than continue a really bad joke? I'm not even kidding. Disney/Marvel have come right out and said that he is not as financially viable to their intended market than most of their other characters.

He does make a cameo in Hulk Vs. Wolverine but sadly he sucks and tries too hard to be Spider-Man meets the Terminator in that one too.

OT: Great review as always Moviebob! I'm also surprised to see Tommy Lee Jones. Who does he play? What I saw in the review had me wondering at what point the game takes place since it's also set during World War II. For anyone wondering the game is excellent as well.

I think I've figured out why it's possible to make a great video game with characters like Batman and Captain America but it becomes harder with Thor, or Green Lantern, or even Spider-Man. It's what Cap and Batman can't do that makes it easier. They don't fly.

Safaia

Sep 24, 2010
During a time when there was a blank screen before the ending (not spoiling) someone in the theater said AMERICA.

And the 1/4 of the theater that stayed through the credits starting clapping.

Sofus

Apr 15, 2011
Bob, you might want to read up on those, oh so incredibly evil nazi people. Because you're either over-dramatising it, or simply ignorant.

I'm from Denmark by the way.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
It seems the movie has received good reception,thanks for the review.

Looking forward to seeing it.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
wooty said:
Hmmm, interest in this flick...rising. Plus, was that Tommy-Lee Jones? Never knew he was in this, only adds points to overall interest.
He had to be the best supporting character in the movie, in my opinion. When he was one screen, the audience was cracking a smile.

OT: It was a very good movie. While there were a few changes from the comic book, it was an extremely solid piece. Possibly my new favorite movie.

Mangue Surfer

May 29, 2010
Nautical Honors Society said:
Most major superheroes are Americans, in America, saving Americans.

Yes they save the planet here and there, but it is mostly America.

Captain America is not a patriotic demon (he actually fought against the American government in Civil War), he is a super solider forced into the role of an icon.

He is very relatable, and other countries would have no problem enjoying such a character.

Your theory is perfect, except that many people really don't care. I also have nothing against the character in the video games (only contact with I have) but it is rare to see a Captain America comic book here.

Of course, nobody has anything against the common North American, Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan walking in the park, Peter Parker and his double life and all. But international politics and the U.S. army is another thing. It's not a matter of being American is more about represent some very difficult to understanding aspects for the ordinary ?Homer Simpson foreign?.

Try imagine: Cap American is for the majority of Us what soccer is for the majority of you.

lokiduck

Jun 5, 2010
Funny the one week I completely agree with you about the movie, you are all ready dissing (the Amazing Spiderman) which I am giving a chance because really should all things until it's completely made clear it sucks.

Reptiloid

Nov 10, 2010
Well, glad to hear they got one of these movies right for a change. Still got no interest in watching it though.