Escape to the Movies: Comic-Con 2010

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
It's hard to imagine how they'll pull it off but I'm sure it's possible. I've loved all of these Marvel movies to some degree so i've got a lot of trust in them.

Though that Infinity Gauntlet thing seems more suited to a game than a movie :p

Jimalcoatl

Jun 21, 2010
The only thing bumming me out about this Avengers news is that Hank Pym and Wasp are disturbingly absent from the revealed cast. The Avengers aren't The Avengers without Hank Pym

atomicmrpelly

Apr 23, 2009
Wow I love you Moviebob! And this Avengers movie looks KICK ASS!

Oh and thanks for the reminder about Equilibrium last week, I had truly forgotten what a movie that was!

axnxgxixe

Apr 23, 2009
Guillarmo del Torro is making a Haunted Mansion movie? Didn't they already do that? That piece of crap with Eddie Murphy, right?

ClockWork

Mar 18, 2009
Hugo Weaving as Red Skull is going to be (i can't believe i'm bout to say this) DOPE!
Red Skull is one of my favorite Marvel villains

lokiduck

Jun 5, 2010
XD I was seriously laughing heavily when I heard about Del Toro making the new Haunted Mansion XD That is going to be twisted considering his past works XD

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
I don't know a damn thing about the Avengers story-arch and yet I am COMPLETELY PSYCHED by all of this! EPIC CINEMA INBOUND...

Hayate_GT

Mar 6, 2010
THANOS!!!!!!...i think im going to go play Marvel Super Heros on final burn...Thanos is just too badass...

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
I can't rule out Thanos for the Avengers film. Marvel's doing something very ambitious putting out the Avengers the way they are, and it would be a waste to do all this to face anything too low grade, and you don't get much higher grade than Thanos with the Gauntlet. Though i won't beleive it until I hear casting for Adam Warlock.

Thor and Cap I admit worry me. Thor is in that same vein as Iron Man in that most people will know little about his beyond the fact he's a comic character. Cap, let's face it, in the current political climate, it's dangerous to even make the movie, and if Cap behaves like he's prone to in the comic, Glen Beck's head may just explode. Maybe that's why they're going the cosmic cube route instead of the American Introspective route.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Aiddon said:
Infinity Gauntlet: Yeah, this makes The Avengers narrative even less plausible to make sense if THAT is getting involved. God, Marvel needs to get their heads out of their asses.
Wait a minute, so the fact that Marvel is trying to be as true to the comics as they can be makes them have their heads up their asses? Can you explain to me how that makes any fucking sense? Meanwhile, Warner Bros. is doing almost everything humanly possible to fuck up the entire DC franchise.

FireFighter214

Jan 25, 2010
I'm really surprised you didn't talk about Sucker Punch. The trailer looks amazing. I know in this day and age, that's not saying much, but it does reveal alot of potential. At least, that's what I think.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Ugh... I hope this goes well, I really do, but...

when I was a kid an looking through comics, I was overwhelmed by all the characters and their backstories, along with the different groups and branching storylines, mini-series, and all sorts of things that had me confused and clueless no matter what issue I picked up. I just couldn't get into marvel or DC or whatever.

Though hollywood getting something right would be fantastic even if I don't know everything about the subjects

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
As someone mentioned above:
Moviebob, what's your thoughts on Sucker Punch?

I really don't know what to make of it yet, the trailer is a cross between Onee-Chan Bara and Eragon, scented with a tinge of Gothika or something.

Souplex said:
Am I the only one who's disappointed aboot Whedon? Sure he's good at what he does, but that is not doing films like the Avengers. Let him go back to space cowboys with quirky personalities, as that's what he does well.
I don't know, he has yet to prove himself on this one. Whedon has a lot of comic book cred because he's written for various teams over the years (very succesful runs on X-men and Runaways in particular).

I'm not that big a fan of most of his movies/series though I find them to at least be amusing. Firefly to me was a freak accident of awesome that he completely bollocksed up with that god-awful Serenity movie. And everywhere I look people praise that wreck, I don't get it, every interesting storyline from the series is turned into a dull matter of fact statement and River becomes space Buffy... Bleh.

But that's not the matter at hand here, its simply that Whedon has some serious comic book pedigree and this is his chance to translate it to the big screen.

GothmogII said:
As for the Infinity Gauntlet...wonder if Adam Warlock is going to show up, about time his orange tanned self graced the screen.
I don't think Warlock could fit. If you're introducing a new team you can't put in a Mr. Deus Ex and let him do the heavy lifting. This'll be a tale about the Avengers and Adam Warlock would just distract from that.

I'd love to see Adam and the Infinity Watch in the flesh though. I wonder which actress could pull off Moondragon. IE who's up for shaving their head this time around?

If they do wheel out Thanos (remember it hasn't been confirmed yet), my question is whether the Silver Surfer could return. Thanos was originally an enemy introduced in his books if I'm not mistaken.

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Artemus_Cain said:
Still sucks about Ed Norton, but hey what are you gonna do? Still not sure about Joss Whedon, though. Never really liked Buffy, but I did like Serenity.
The TV series that spawned Serenity is even better. It shows how Joss can balance disparate characters with wildly different backstories in equal parts heart, humor and badassness.
And all in 14 perfect episodes.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
matrix3509 said:
Aiddon said:
Infinity Gauntlet: Yeah, this makes The Avengers narrative even less plausible to make sense if THAT is getting involved. God, Marvel needs to get their heads out of their asses.
Wait a minute, so the fact that Marvel is trying to be as true to the comics as they can be makes them have their heads up their asses? Can you explain to me how that makes any fucking sense? Meanwhile, Warner Bros. is doing almost everything humanly possible to fuck up the entire DC franchise.
Because, quite frankly, just EXPLAINING the damn thing and Thanatos would take too much of a movie's time. Being "true" to a comic doesn't mean a thing if it doesn't work in the adaptation. And seriously, DC is fucking up their own franchise? MARVEL is no better, not by a long shot and at least Warner has an outsider's perspective that eliminates all the self-entitled, needless silliness that doesn't WORK in a live action adaptation when they do them.