Escape to the Movies: Comic-Con 2010

FireFighter214

Jan 25, 2010
signingupforgames said:
so i don't read many comics. But here's a question.---> (question)

At about 3:03 what's Bob talking about?
I would also like to know what Bob is referring to at 3:03.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Hmm...feh. Not really interested in comics, and "Captian America" just reminds all us non-Americans that we aren't encouraged to join in with 'Marvels' world beyond having our histories and mythologies strip mined for ideas.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
My big ass hammer tells me that the yellow spandex can remain safely quarantined in back issues of X-men where it rightfully belongs. Sealed away right next to the boy wonder.

And these are not my magic hammer. The magic hammer is my...

Will Lorus

Jul 23, 2010
Aiddon said:
matrix3509 said:
Aiddon said:
Infinity Gauntlet: Yeah, this makes The Avengers narrative even less plausible to make sense if THAT is getting involved. God, Marvel needs to get their heads out of their asses.
Wait a minute, so the fact that Marvel is trying to be as true to the comics as they can be makes them have their heads up their asses? Can you explain to me how that makes any fucking sense? Meanwhile, Warner Bros. is doing almost everything humanly possible to fuck up the entire DC franchise.
Because, quite frankly, just EXPLAINING the damn thing and Thanatos would take too much of a movie's time. Being "true" to a comic doesn't mean a thing if it doesn't work in the adaptation. And seriously, DC is fucking up their own franchise? MARVEL is no better, not by a long shot and at least Warner has an outsider's perspective that eliminates all the self-entitled, needless silliness that doesn't WORK in a live action adaptation when they do them.
How can you possibly tell what doesn't work in a live action adaptation when it hasn't been done before? Marvel has proven that they can stay true to the source material while tweaking things for a film audience and they can probably do the same again. Arguing that including Thanos or the Infinity Gauntlet in some way is a huge error based on a photo of a prop is ridiculous. There were people who argued that comic book movies could never work after Batman and Robin and they were proved wrong just as those who said Iron Man would flop for inplausibility were.

You really just have to wait and see.

sosolidshoe

May 17, 2010
I'm just pissed you can't get the videos online; they all got DCMA'd as far as I can tell, which is a whole rant in and of itself; why the hell would you DCMA takedown a TRAILER for christ's sake.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Lono Shrugged said:
malestrithe said:
Souplex said:
Am I the only one who's disappointed aboot Whedon? Sure he's good at what he does, but that is not doing films like the Avengers. Let him go back to space cowboys with quirky personalities, as that's what he does well. Besides; the dude hasn't been good since (However long ago Dr. Horrible came out as it's what he did before he decided to start on DollHouse.)
[flame shield]
Seriously, I have the opposite take on Whedon. He is a fine director who knows how to get the what he wants from his actors, who is willing to listen, and can get things done on time and undercost. I like the stuff he directs.

His writing I am not impressed by. He does not know how to begin story lines, he spends too much time developing things that do not really matter, and he rushes the conclusion when he really should not have.

[/flame shield]
I like some of Whedon's stuff and considering he wrote (In my opinion) a great run on Astonishing X-Men and the best and worst lines of first X-men movie among other works at least he knows his capes. I just hope he supresses his urge to have super powered little girls beating up men who sexually menace them.
I think my main problem with the guy is to paraphrase Nhatzee: "If you let Whedon write Indiana Jones, you would basically get Uncharted."

ucciolord1

Mar 26, 2009
OK.
Hugo Weaving/Agent Smith/Elrond/V is playing the Red Skull...
The Avengers are going up against Thanos (probz)...
AND Joss Whedon(SQQQUUUEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!) is directing?
Wow. This almost makes up for them canceling The Brave and the Bold.
But not quite.
You know what would, though?
A Music Meister movie.
Yeah.

Monkey King

Mar 29, 2010
Ok, Saw a few people asking about 3:03. I will attempt to answer.
The object pictured at 3:03 is the "Cosmic Cube", basicly an object that lets you manipulate all reality. It was created by AIM (evil group that tried to take over the world through science) in the mainstream marvel universe. The cubes (there have been more than one) have been sought by such people as Red Skull (evil Nazi mastermind), Thanos (wait, do I see a connection?), and the Skrull Emperor (btw, in the Ulimates series, a reimagined SKRULL race that helped the Nazis attempts to conquer Earth....wait, this all seems to be kinda connected).

All you really need to know about the cosmic cube is that it allows the user to reshape reality. How a bunch of Dr. Evil wannabee's made one in the 60's is anyone's guess.

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
Wow, I didn't see Cowboys and Aliens coming.
I read it as a webcomic on drunk duck awhile back and I wasn't blown away by it.
There were a lot of better webcomics on DD.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Souplex said:
I think my main problem with the guy is to paraphrase Nhatzee: "If you let Whedon write Indiana Jones, you would basically get Uncharted."
Hehe, Very true, I think Whedon's style can be good but there is no way anyone is that witty in real life. It does start to grate. Still I'm glad Whedon is directing and is NOT writing it.

sunpop

Oct 23, 2008
I saw the leaked Thor trailer and..sweet Jesus it was amazing. Between Thor and Captain America and then the whole Avengers movie being made. wait..shit I died didn't I? dammit all

Also Bob did you make it to the Scott Pilgrim pre screening in Boston because it was also amazing.

NeoShinGundam

May 2, 2009
I know that DC has said that they won't do a World's Finest Superman/Batman movie, but they better make a Brave and the Bold Flash/Green Lantern movie. If they don't, I'm going to lead an angry march right to their doorstep!!

LockandKey

Feb 22, 2009
DasAShinyGolash said:
Sorry, but I'm a little rusty with my comic mythology, what is you know what?
From the picture it is a cosmic cube, an Sentient item (or it grows sentience) capable of altering reality.
It's like a very very poor mans infinity gauntlet.

snowman6251 said:
Am I the only one who was not impressed with the Thor trailer? I might be biased because I never really liked Thor but the trailer did not change my opinion on him. It looked boring and silly and left me with a strong taste of "meh" in my mouth.
I actually didn't like the trailer and I am a Thor fan. Thor was never really meant for Marvel earth in my opinion he should either stick to the mystic plane, or fight the powerful cosmic alien races.

Though to be honest depending how they do it could be very very awesome.

tamerman

Jul 17, 2009
i have no idea what that box is supposed to be soo... yeah. anyone gunna tell me? XD

Will Lorus

Jul 23, 2010
Lono Shrugged said:
Souplex said:
Hehe, Very true, I think Whedon's style can be good but there is no way anyone is that witty in real life. It does start to grate. Still I'm glad Whedon is directing and is NOT writing it.
Actually, I think Whedon confirmed that he was at least co-writing the screenplay.