Escape to the Movies: Comic-Con 2010

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Elesar said:
I love how people completely miss my point. Yes, Fantastic 4 and Daredevil's failure can be blamed on their story and script problems, that was the point, that what the character looks like doesn't matter what matters is the MOVIE. It's not about making it realistic, it's about what it looks like. I'm sorry to break it to but Woverine's classic costume looks silly at best and downright stupid at worst and in a serious movie, having him show up in that outfit would be like...oh, if they're saying Captain America is coming to fight the Nazi's and BAM, it's Tim Curry, circa Rocky Horror.

This applies to practicality too, since we can't have Robin showing up on screen in bright Red and Yellow. He's a stealth based fighter, he'd get shot in an instant (which is, incidentally, why you can't put him in the movies :)) I have just as much problem with some redesigns too (Yes, I too hate the new Green Lantern outfit) but some things that work in comics are not going to work on screen.

DTWolfwood said:
. Michael Keatons Batman was awesome and seriously gloomy which some ppl still think is the best batman movie.
...Who?
Yes, welcome to the uncanny valley; in comics and cartoons we don't mind Wolverine's bright yellow spandex, Batman's lack of kevlar and strange acceptance of putting teenage boys in direct danger, or Green Arrow's silly hat, BUUUUUUT when people see it in a movie on a LIVE-ACTION ACTOR most of the audience thinks one thing: WHAT THE FUCK?????????? Comic book fans do NOT make or break a movie's box office, the greater population who only knows about the characters peripherally does. Heck, I think this is one of the main reasons Wonder Woman has never been put on the big screen is because she's wearing a bikini with stars and stripes on it

yarnman

Sep 26, 2009
ok i consider my self to be a rather big marvel fan but im not all that informed about the Cap. and Thor as i would like to be. So could someone tell me what the glowing cube was

bastyaan

Oct 19, 2009
Not to offend any of the DC/Green Lantern Fans, but I really wish they would make the Deadpool movie before the Green Lantern one. Because IMHO Deadpool is way more awesome than Green Lantern, especially in his radioactive sausage suit they're gonna put him in.

Also, I had multiple Nerdgasms from the Avengers bit.

ironlordthemad

Sep 25, 2009
I know MovieBob is getting the geek gang on board by pointing at stuff regarding the avengers, but I'm surprised that he didn't look at the film Machete. It seems like the kind of thing he might have looked into.
Oh well.

nYuknYuknYuk

Jul 12, 2009
Thor looks like it will be another Hollywood fuckup.

I know it sounds cool, but watch the trailer. Especially the middle.

Oh and I hope all of these are good, especially Captain America. He's a total badass... but he doesn't have any righteous wars to fight in anymore. He kind of loses his appeal when he's not fighting Nazis.

Lineoutt

Sock Hat
Jun 26, 2009
JustaGigolo said:
I was most happy about the trailer for the new season of Dexter, the first look at The Walking Dead season 1, and the new Avatar series.
New Avatar series? you mean TLA or Blue People?

Also I am SO exited for walking dead as well :D! I hope it lives up to its trailer. I was looking for interweb people, I saw some penny arcade peeps but that was because they had a booth. Did I miss anyone?

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Elesar said:
Here lemme Quote myself with emphasis on the Lines u obviously didnt read.

DTWolfwood said:
... Michael Keatons Batman was awesome and seriously gloomy which some ppl still think is the best batman movie. Christopher Reeves Superman was ripped off the comics, and ppl took that seriously. So i really have no idea where u come from thinking its not important. it isn't movie breaking by all means it just brings more credibility. Its the hero's IDENTITY. without their costume they are just any joe shmo off the street.
Strictly movie wise lemme state again. Is it necessary for a movie to work? NO. Is it important for ppl to identify the Comic book Hero and not just some random soldier? ABSOLUTELY YES. the Costume is everything Otherwise you might as well call any comic book movie Generic Super Hero Guy. They are Icons because of way they look IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH PRACTICALITY! (if it was the comic book artists would have designed it so!)

Elesar said:
DTWolfwood said:
. Michael Keatons Batman was awesome and seriously gloomy which some ppl still think is the best batman movie.
...Who?
The fact that u dont know This Batman

Means nothing u say from this point on will to be valid in terms of arguing about comic book heroes :p

tehbeard

Jul 9, 2008
had very litte exposure to Marvel Comics.
have no idea what the deal is about Captain America and why everybody loves him.

But glad to see Whedon's got some work, even if its not bringing back firefly...

Elesar

Apr 16, 2009
DTWolfwood said:
Elesar said:
DTWolfwood said:
...Who?

Means nothing u say from this point on will to be valid in terms of arguing about comic book heroes :p
I hate that I have to keep this conversation going but I do need to say this:
I didn't mean "Who" as in "Who is Michael Keaton's Batman." Batman was...alright but Batman Returns was quite good. No my question was "Who thinks that Michael Keaton's Batman is the best?"

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Why cancel Brave and the Bold?! That was good stuff!

But yeah, that Infinity Gauntlet in the Marvel props? I got wood at the sight of that.

PoliceBox63

Apr 7, 2010
As soon as I saw the infinity gauntlet, my face fell into a true omfg state, my hands came up to my face in a deathgrip-like pose, I stared at the rest of the video half-listeniing half processing the concept, for some reason I started crying and drool slowly dripping out of the corners of my mouth... this threw me... omfg

RestamSalucard

Feb 26, 2010
Elesar said:
DTWolfwood said:
image snip
I hate that I have to keep this conversation going but I do need to say this:
I didn't mean "Who" as in "Who is Michael Keaton's Batman." Batman was...alright but Batman Returns was quite good. No my question was "Who thinks that Michael Keaton's Batman is the best?"
This guy does, apparently. [http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/7184-batmanvsdk]

lead sharp

Nov 15, 2009
Elesar said:
I hate having to still explain this, so I'm going to do it in Bold face so everyone gets it:
A LOT OF COMIC BOOK OUTFITS WOULD LOOK FUCKING STUPID ON SCREEN!

There are some that'll work, some that'll do fine and some that will sink the entire movie if they show up wearing them and a very small number which look stupid even in context of the comic. Hawkeye will not be wearing purple because it would look idiotic and I hope to god they lose the stupid mask too. Wolverine's costume is that rare kind of costume that would get the amazing "Costume problem" trifecta:
1) Make the movie IMPOSSIBLE to take seriously
2) Add a fairly solid extra amount to the budget
3) Add an extra month to the production time, due to the time lost putting it on and getting it off.

As for Batman, all the comics have said or suggested that he wears Kevlar (it would strain believability if he didn't) and I've got news for you: That's what he would HAVE to wear. Does it have some visual problems, sure. Is it better than being asked to believe that "No really, this cloth is bullet proof." Yeah it is.

Lastly, I'm sorry but costume is ultimately unimportant. Iron Man could be spray-painted black, and I wouldn't care so long as the writing was solid, the action was good and the actors did their job well. Daredevil and Fantastic 4 had fairly true-to-the-comics outfits and that didn't stop them from being mediocre and complete shit, respectively. And I sure as hell didn't hear you complaining when Doc Ock showed up in Spider-Man 2 in a trenchcoat instead of green spandex ;).
no

You see half the fun of a comic adaptation is seeing the characters you've read about come to life on the screen. If they don't look like the character from the comic (in spirit ala Batman or exactly ala Spider-Man) you wind up with Constantine. Which bent the source material over a log and made it squeal like a piggy. Consequently the only people who liked it where teeny goths who fancied Keanu Reaves. What made FF and DD mediocre was piss poor storytelling and scripts. The original Superman movies were costume perfect and they made a mint (well the first three did anyway). The X-Men were lucky, they've had so many costume changes that the soul of the movie was enough to carry it.

You could make any costume work, even Electros if you give it context and poor on the faith.

Though I admit actually justifying Wolverines would be tough you could make it come to life. Bear in mind that the comics are always going to be stylised and exaggerated, a 'real' copy of Wolverines costume (especially the one he wears these days) wouldn't look bad.

All that being said I'm still having trouble with Thors costume, mainly because (and yes I've seen it in context) it still looks like foam rubber with Biker pants. The story (from speculation and apparent aspects) does not really impress that much either. I'm still going to see it, I bet I'm amazed. But I'm holding my breath.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Tehlanna TPX said:
Souplex said:
Am I the only one who's disappointed aboot Whedon? Sure he's good at what he does, but that is not doing films like the Avengers. Let him go back to space cowboys with quirky personalities, as that's what he does well. Besides; the dude hasn't been good since (However long ago Dr. Horrible came out as it's what he did before he decided to start on DollHouse.)
Couldn't they get Jon Favreau, Brian Singer, or the dude who directed Kickass instead? (He seems good at adapting Millar's work, since the Ultimates is where all the best material is)
You're not alone. I am not at all confident in Whedon's abilities to pull off The Avengers so it doesn't turn out like the character cluster fuck that was X-Men 3. I would've been so much more assured of it's success had Jon Favreau taken the helm. He's done great things with Iron Man.

/sigh. Oh well. And no Edward Norton still makes me a sad panda. Very very low condience in mr indie actor's skills at the not so smashy side of the Hulk.
They also have proven their ability to contract Edgar Wright, (one of the greatest directors of all time) for the Ant Man movie, so they could have used him. It's just that Whedon has "Geek Cred" (although he lost his directing cred after dollhouse)

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
I'm excited about the mere possibility of an Infinity Gauntlet storyline! That would be pretty dang awesome! In other news great review, there were a couple tidbits I didn't already know, and nice to have official confirmation of the rest :)

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
malestrithe said:
Souplex said:
Am I the only one who's disappointed aboot Whedon? Sure he's good at what he does, but that is not doing films like the Avengers. Let him go back to space cowboys with quirky personalities, as that's what he does well. Besides; the dude hasn't been good since (However long ago Dr. Horrible came out as it's what he did before he decided to start on DollHouse.)
[flame shield]
Seriously, I have the opposite take on Whedon. He is a fine director who knows how to get the what he wants from his actors, who is willing to listen, and can get things done on time and undercost. I like the stuff he directs.

His writing I am not impressed by. He does not know how to begin story lines, he spends too much time developing things that do not really matter, and he rushes the conclusion when he really should not have.

[/flame shield]
I like some of Whedon's stuff and considering he wrote (In my opinion) a great run on Astonishing X-Men and the best and worst lines of first X-men movie among other works at least he knows his capes. I just hope he supresses his urge to have super powered little girls beating up men who sexually menace them.