Escape to the Movies: Inception

cornmancer

Dec 7, 2009
Well this is a tough position. I want to watch the rest of the review, but I don't want a single solitary spoiler whatsoever. Part of the reason I loved district 9 so much is because all I knew going in was that it had Aliens and it was a metaphor for South Africa's politcal state. I think I'm going to love this for the same reason. All I know is leonardo dicaprio goes in ellen page's mind and has to give her an idea.

Oh screw it I'll watch the rest

edit: Sounds a bit like Shutter Island, with the whole dream within a dream thing and not being sure of what's real and what's not and having Dicaprio, but you know what? SHUTTER ISLAND KICKED ASS, and movies being similar to it is fine with me.

Quesa

Jul 8, 2009
Nolan movies on Imax at midnight are now my #1 and #2 theater experiences.

May 5, 2010
Guys, I went to the midnight release, and believe me when I say that this film DESERVES your money. It deserves your attention. Plus, I really want to be able to talk freely about SPOILER REMOVED so hurry up.

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
Zing said:
obisean said:
Also, as much as it would have pained me to say this about 10 years ago, he is a really good actor. I daresay he is the best actor in his age group, at least I can't think of anyone else in their mid-30s that I will make a point of seeing their movies solely because they are in it. Let's limit that last part to male actors :). And it's a good thing to, because now we will have a high quality actor for the next 30 or so years at least.

He always was a good actor, and you could tell that just by watching What's Eating Gilbert Grape. When I watched that movie, I had to see that it was actually DiCaprio in the credits because at the time I watched it the world knew that DiCaprio was a terrible actor. I guess he finally started to try out actually acting again when (as mentioned) he did Catch Me if you Can with Tom Hanks. Though it's surprising that a movie with Hanks made him start acting and a movie with Jeremy Irons, John Malkovich, and Gerard Depardieu, didn't make it happen first.
The only other actor I could say the same for in his age group is dead. :(
I had forgotten about Heath Ledger. I didn't watch many movies with him in it. But if The Dark Knight and The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus were any indication of his acting skill, then I'll have to agree.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
obisean said:
I had forgotten about Heath Ledger. I didn't watch many movies with him in it. But if The Dark Knight and The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus were any indication of his acting skill, then I'll have to agree.
Well he was like Leo, he was in a couple of really good films, The Patriot, Monster's Ball, but nothing really showed him off until Brokeback Mountain then of course TDK. I'm 100% positive he would have a lot of really good roles after TDK.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Not gonna go past the spoiler warning for something like this. Hope I remember to come back and watch the rest of it by the time I see it.

Also...nice intro hehe.

Feb 13, 2008
Sold. Seeing it next week.

(I remember Dreamscape, but only for Mrs. Spielberg's romance...I tolerated her, just, in Indiana Jones + the Temple of Doom)

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
I may be stabbed to death for this like when I asked WTF The green hornet was but I need to ask:

WTF was Dreamscape? Odds are it was made before I was born which automatically means I'm not a "real" film fan.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Great review! I did love the story, and, it was pretty epic! I loved how complicated it was for once!

Lord Thodin

Jul 1, 2009
I was going to go see this movie anyway, but this just solidified my decision to go and see it.

Twinmill5000

Nov 12, 2009
You have a point, and the industry has a point when the claim most movies that aren't two hours of nothing "too smart for common man."

See, I watched Blood: The Last Vampire yesterday, and my family watched too. Now maybe if you do try to condense a 26 episode anime into an hour and a half, it will move fast, probably mindblowingly fast. The original anime stretched 50 episodes. I can see it as a negative that things weren't spelled out, albeit a slight one, but for my family to say that the movie was worse than Twilight? Ayegh. So. Yeah. The critics might have a point. A sad, sad point.

I will watch Inception when I can. You did another great review, Bob.