Escape to the Movies: Knight and Day ... also Smurfs

Jorias

Dec 10, 2008
You gotta be kidding me....Uwe Boll is making a Smurfs movie? Someone should really tell that guy he sucks at Directing movies.....

I knew from the get go that knight and day was gunna suck, i mean Cameron Diaz and Tom Cruise? Seriously? I guess they picked her on the premise that she in fact has done shit like this before in Charlies Angels. Atleast their they were all chicks and you had Lucy Liu's butt to start it....

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Well, these comments aren't going to write themselves...

On Knight and Day: Well, I'll probably see it, if only too waste an afternoon and to laugh at Tom Cruse. From the trailers I've seen, it doesn't even look like he's acting in the movie, rather it seems as if he's told the gist of the scene and improvising his way though. But it's not even interesting improv. It just seems like we're watching his Matt Lauer and Oprah interviews in gun-toting formatt, which is now just dull.

On Smurfs: Congrats Bob, by simply mentioning that this project exists in this plane of existance and making me aware of it, you have ruined my day. Back to working on that plane-shifter I've been keeping in the basement.

On Seth Rogan as the Green Hornet (since Bob asked): While he clearly buffed up a lot for this role (he supposedly lost about 20 kg for the part), it is nice to see someone who is not a superfit, superlean body type as a superhero and who many of us with human bodytypes could actually achieve with diet and exercise. I'm not a huge fan of some of his movies, but I can consistantly see how he is talented as an actor and director. As a result, I'm quite looking forward to how he fares as a comic book hero.

lokiduck

Jun 5, 2010
I'm 19 and I know of Romancing the Stone, and Have seen it. My mom loves that movie and wanted me to see it so I did. I love it too.

Thanks for the review though I can avoid this movie. Mom refuses to see the smurf movie XD so I was planning anyways. But yet again you make some great points.

Hithlain

Keeper of Ying
Nov 25, 2008
I'd never heard of Romancing the Stone until I started watching movie reviewers and I'm 21. >_>

My parents weren't into that genre when they were younger I suppose.

Yeah and the smurfs movie just pisses me off. I mean right away, from that teaser trailer, I can tell that the movie is going to be empty. Void of all use of brainpower and cleverness... just an empty money hole. Why is it always that way with some kids movies? I'm sure that Pixar has proven that if you put effort into it you can sell DVDs until you can bathe in money. I know I'll be picking up ALL their movies for my kids when I grow up, just like Classic Disney movies still are making money.

Movies like G-Force or this new smurfs movie are just quick cheapie attempts to make fast money. I wonder why that sort of thing works. I mean, the smurfs movie is not something I would take my kids to honestly.

wonkify

Oct 2, 2009
I still like Romancing the Stone.

How did they miss a beautiful tie in with a terrific movie by not setting The Smurfs in Bruges?

And Seth Rogan? Asinine casting. No imagination. "Who's hip this microsecond? Okay, get him."

dashiz94

Apr 14, 2009
Not G. Ivingname said:
Sorry about the just so standard movie it is almost an achievement (but wasn't) you had to review, and the fact you had to fill the time with talking about the SMURFS MOVIE.

Are we really that desperate to revive old 80's cartoons into movies that we have to dig out the SMURFS? Really? Wasn't Scooby Doo, Transformers, and Alvin and the Chimpmucks any idication that they aren't a good idea. Wait, nevermind, no matter the stupid reason, those movies somehow made embarressing amounts of money.
Nostalgia. Sells every GOD. DAMNED. TIME.

dashiz94

Apr 14, 2009
Spiner909 said:
I'm getting pissed at these full page ads and 30 second goddamn slim jim pieces of crap.
Spite and day...hah..
NINJAS! I don't know why, but that ad has actually made me like ninjas, a little less. It is incredibly depressing D:

Calbeck

Bearer of Pointed Commentary
Jul 13, 2008
I would SO cheer for a Danger Mouse cartoon movie. Even though the original pacing was usually abysmal and the jokes got really tired and overdone. I think you could actually do something with DM's department getting absorbed by MI-6 or some such (though anyone suggesting a Bond crossover would require a blindfold and cigarette the following dawn).

But SMURFS? My first reaction was "seriously? No, SERIOUSLY?". This is going to tank like Underdog did, for much the same reasons...total bastardization of a classic.

EDIT: okay, Rant Time. Sorry, folks.

You know, the problem with Hollywood bashing the unholy feck out of our childhood is because none of them get what made these things interesting.

Namely, that they were ANIMATED. And not bloody CGI, either. It seems that "animated" means "kiss of death (Disney excepted)" to these people. But Garfield, Underdog, Smurfs...these were all CARTOONS. And as cartoons, they worked and were popular (yes yes, Garfield was a strip first, let's not derail there).

But when Hollywood gets ahold of a cartoon, they seem to inevitably try and make it a live-action flick. Which DOES NOT WORK.

Underdog couldn't be a cartoon in an otherwise realistic world because suppression of disbelief is instantly shattered by what you're watching. It didn't work well for the Rocky & Bullwinkle movie for that exact reason (and let's not even talk about Space Jam). The brain says "that part's real, that part's surreal, DOES NOT COMPUTE". So, instead of making the whole Underdog movie animated, they made the whole thing realistic. Which instantly killed the idea of having a dog who walks on his hind legs, holds down a job as a shoeshine boy and wears clothes, because Hollywood (and let's face it, most people) can't really deal with that concept either.

Result: Underdog became a regular (but "special") dog, with an owner and blah blah blah. Nothing of the original concept actually remained, so none of what made the original good could be retained.

Until the studio hotshots get it through their heads that cartoons are successful in their own element, the raping of our collective childhood is bound to continue.

daftalchemist

Aug 6, 2008
In response to his question about Belgians being pissed, my half-Belgian boyfriend says "American can keep that crap".

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
Didn't grow up with Smurfs, although this one is aware of it.

This one has seen Alvin and the Chipmunks, Transformers, and GI Joe. Those were all mainstays of growing up, but now we see them bastardized with barely anything in common with the source material and all kinds of new things thrown in like pop music.

And now Smurfs is getting the same treatment.

Joy.

Furrama

Jul 24, 2008
dex-dex said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
Sorry about the just so standard movie it is almost an achievement (but wasn't) you had to review, and the fact you had to fill the time with talking about the SMURFS MOVIE.

Are we really that desperate to revive old 80's cartoons into movies that we have to dig out the SMURFS? Really? Wasn't Scooby Doo, Transformers, and Alvin and the Chimpmucks any idication that they aren't a good idea. Wait, nevermind, no matter the stupid reason, those movies somehow made embarressing amounts of money.
but soon they will be screwing with 90's cartoons so just let them get through all the 80's cartoons
(but scooby-doo was originally made in the 60's )
They are runing out of ideas so they are taking from the past and just spiting on people's child hood favourites like the teenage mutant ninja turtles that MICHAEL BAY is directing. grrrrrr rage.
Ah crud, we're about to start screwing with MY childhood now aren't they?

Oh my gosh, there's going to be a live action Freakazoid movie isn't there? T.T What are they going to do when they get past 1996 and all the cartoons were from Japan?! We saw what they did with DBZ >.>;

NO PIKACHU! NOOOO!- http://www.nofna.com/?T=1-1-999-1

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Dear gawd, when will hollyeood stop shitting on childhood cartoons. Wasn't Garfield & Chipmunks dreadfull enough? & they look so horrendous & creepy in CG too.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
The new Green Hornet will suck because no one can fill Bruce Lee's shoes.

AllLagNoFrag

Jun 7, 2010
Cheers for the review and warnings. I was on the fence about Knight and Day because of my friends all wanting to watch it.

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
Whta happens when they run out of 80's cartoons.
-looks at 90's cartoons (read:Animaniacs, Freakazoid, and Earthworm Jim)-
Oh, dear God, so much potential for greatness and horror.

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
Thanks a lot, MovieBob...

I FINALLY had Romancing the Stone out of my mind for good and you had to bring it back...

Now it's gonna take me ANOTHER decade to forget that movie...