Escape to the Movies: New Moon

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
No, it's no
Booze Zombie said:
How exactly is this popular?

It's inexplicable!
No, it's not. It's popular because of us.

Let's face it, the movie isn't the worst thing ever. Not by a long shot, I've probably seen hundreds, if not thousands of worse movies. It's an overall good execution with a concept that works - for teens mostly, but that's not inherently bad or wrong - and the only bad thing is the script, the story itself, the dialogue, etc.

It wouldn't have made as much money if only the fans of the series had been the audience. Only now that Twilight completely polarized the public, the audience tripled in number - fans of the movie, fans of the books, haters of both, people wanting to know what the fuss is all about, random curious adults, hordes of teenagers that have never even heard of the books, but are here for the heartthrobs...

It's popular and successful for the same reason this Movie Bob review has more comments than the last two Zero Punctuations put together.

Unjustly so, because it doesn't suck enough to garner all the hate, and it certainly isn't good enough to spend money on.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Ohten said:
coldfrog said:
The last literature series aimed at young female readers this way was probably Golden Compass. Except probably aimed at younger girls, but it still has many similar things, a strong young female lead, a dangerous male love interest, lots of grief, a secretive group of high-up evil adult types. Also it was actually good. Never watched the movie though.
Buh? Bella is far from a strong female lead. She's about as strong as a wet noodle. She's helpless, clingy, submissive, and happily takes it when Eddy verbally and mentally abuses her bordering on brainwashing her. And why? Because he's supposedly good-looking (to me he just looks like he needs to ditch the '50s combover and stop rolling in a pit of ash).
Since I didn't see the movie, I can't talk about how botched it was. Since you didn't read the books, you can't talk about how incorrect this is.

But the most important part is not that she always stood up to everyone and was always right and then kicked everyone's ass with machine guns and laser beams, but that she was, in the end, human and made some mistakes. But all in all, in the books at least, she was a strong female lead.

Chronarch

Oct 31, 2009
I'll never understand the appeal of the Twilight series. I read the books because everyone and their grandmothers dog around where I live said it was amazing. I actually went into the books trying to convince myself it would be good but by the end I had learned just how bad the series was. I haven't even bothered to try and go to the movies. My logic told me that movies from books are usually worse so I thought: Twilight series = Bad, Twilight series movie = Bad * x = brain damage. Apparently my assumptions were correct. Also I'm not trying to offend anyone, if you like this kind of the thing then all the power to you.

Flos

Aug 2, 2008
coldfrog said:
Since I didn't see the movie, I can't talk about how botched it was. Since you didn't read the books, you can't talk about how incorrect this is.

But the most important part is not that she always stood up to everyone and was always right and then kicked everyone's ass with machine guns and laser beams, but that she was, in the end, human and made some mistakes. But all in all, in the books at least, she was a strong
female lead.
Edit: Whoops, hit post.

I read the books, and I'm quite aware that you're lying. Bella was reliant on her male leads and really did do nothing. A strong female lead prospers despite her male counterpart, not because of him.

She wasn't even a hacked strong female lead. What planet are you from where she is?

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Flos said:
coldfrog said:

But the most important part is not that she always stood up to everyone and was always right and then kicked everyone's ass with machine guns and laser beams, but that she was, in the end, human and made some mistakes. But all in all, in the books at least, she was a strong
female lead.
Edit: Whoops, hit post.

I read the books, and I'm quite aware that you're lying. Bella was reliant on her male leads and really did do nothing. A strong female lead prospers despite her male counterpart, not because of him.

She wasn't even a hacked strong female lead. What planet are you from where she is?
Maybe I need to re-read those... I have memories of her being self-reliant for a person her age, but it was a while back... I guess I could be remembering incorrectly, but I felt pretty confident that she was frequently portrayed as one willing to stand up to people, even on her own. It shouldn't take me too long to at least read the first one, maybe I'll go do that.

Hammith

Dec 26, 2008
I started watching Twilight. To be safe, i watched with Rifftrax, just to make it more bearable since everyone said it was horrible. I just want it noted, that even with my LOVE of Mystery Science Theater and Rifftrax, I couldn't finish the movie.

The acting in it isn't just bad, it's the worst I've ever seen. Of anything else that's ever been mocked by the MT3K guys, I've NEVER stopped midway through. The dialog doesn't help.

"Hi." Four second pause. "Hi."

Pauses are ok, when your movie would possibly be half an hour shorter without them and they include no acting other than STARING, it's tremendously horrible. Not to mention nothing happens in the first half an hour, and that Bella has to be a moron (along with the rest of the high school) to not even contemplate that the Cullens are vampires. I mean even a 'silly rumour' would make sense, they practically scream it out and it takes a whole hour of the movie to actually say it.

If New Moon is anywhere near as bad, I will stay far away from it.

sunnydcookies

Apr 15, 2009
MovieBob, we'll tell stories about you. Songs will be written and the marvel that is your review of twilight will be illustrated till the dawn of time. When we look back at this dark time for cinema, a trumpet will play in your honor! The children will rejoice and society shall sing for we'll know that in the abyss there was a light!! Free at last! FREE AT LAST!!

YoUnG205

Ugh!...
Oct 13, 2009
lol it was a terrible movie almost as bad as the first one i have no idea looking back why i would want to watch considering how bad the first one was

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
Skylarm said:
Dark Templar said:
Skylarm said:
OH MY GOD! FINALLY! Someone other than myself gets that twilight is crap. I've read the books too, entire waste of time. I will never get back those wasted hours. Anyway, so glad to finally see someone who isn't cooing "twilight is the greatest thing" over and over. I just hope they paid you well to sit though that terrible movie. Kudos ^-^.
You think you are the only one? Browse the forums for like 2 minutes and you'll find quite allot of us aren't stupid teenage girls who buy into this crap.

Doug said:
OH MY GOD! FINALLY! Someone other than myself gets that twilight is crap. I've read the books too, entire waste of time. I will never get back those wasted hours. Anyway, so glad to finally see someone who isn't cooing "twilight is the greatest thing" over and over. I just hope they paid you well to sit though that terrible movie. Kudos ^-^.
erm, have you never been to the internet before? Outside of the Twilight fan forums, everyone doesn't like Twilight, heh.

I noticed you both referenced the twilight forums. Do you spend lots of time there? I sure don't. I tend to stay away from anything that has ANYTHING to do with twilight. And I have better ways to spend my time than researching twilight on the internet. So go enjoy the twilight forums that you rave about cause I sure in hell won't step foot there. As for my slight naive view on the hating of twilight, I am a middle school/high school substitute teacher who hears about it all day long. So of course it is nice to hear an adult that agrees with me after parents and kids drivel on about it all day long.
Did you see the words "twilight forum" anywhere in my post??? I said "the forums" meaning, these forums. The ones here on the escapist. If you are going to be an asshole, learn to read.

I only pointed out that you aren't the only one who hates twilight, a lot of people right here on this site would love to tell you about how much twilight sucks. You aren't a special little flower the way you seem to think you are.

redwolf91

Dec 3, 2009
does anybody else get really fucking annoyed at the way his voice goes incredibly whinny and fussy halfway through his reviews as if hes in agony or something? Its as if hes getting himself worked up over his own review. id listen to this guy his comments weren't so over the top.

Cmwissy

Aug 26, 2009
I saw the first one and swore to a god I've never believed in to never become the Foam-mouthed; media hyping ***** of a twilight fan that obsesses over this.

Vect

Jul 22, 2009
The thing about the sucky acting is that Pattinson and Stewart are both known to be quite disdainful of the series and Stephanie Meyers in general (Pattinson's remarks on the books mostly amount to it being little more than Meyer's creepy fantasies). However since it's still a decent-paying gig (actors still do need work) they're stuck. As such it seems that they chose to waste no good acting on the series.

And somehow a vampire seems to be a fitting role for Dakota Fanning. She's always got a creepy "Children of the Corn"/That Girl in the Target Range in MIB that Will Smith shot on instinct sorta vibe to me.

Belzenra

Dec 18, 2009
i went to see this yesterday and it was bad realy bad but somehow all its faults were balanced by its other faults .also the theater consisted of me, 4 other boyfrieds and a bilion girls af all ages and somehow they all laughed like it was somesort of bad romance action Comedy

so i liked it AND im Never gona watch it agen

Woem

May 28, 2009
MovieBob said:
New Moon

MovieBob tries to find one nice thing to say about New Moon, but it's a stretch.

Watch Video
I went to see the movie yesterday with my wife (upon which she correctly noted that I was the only male in the whole theater) and one thing that is surprisingly missing from this review is the thick layer of Catholic American sexual guilt. Seriously, the whole recurring "pure soul" and "bite me" theme is nothing more than a metaphor for "virginity" and "have sex with me".

So Bella turns 18 and she really wants to be bitten by Edward. He doesn't want this because he doesn't want to spoil her pure soul. In the end they agree that it's a good idea for her to be bitten, but Edward wants to wait. She insists and says she really wants it, but only if he does it. What really made me laugh out load is when at the very end of the movie Edward agrees to bite her, but not before they get married. I must admit this movie was pretty funny to watch, at a meta level, when I started replacing the word "soul" with "virginity" and "I want to become a vampire" with "I want to get laid". The whole marriage proposal made for a perfect ending.