Escape to the Movies: Noah - Brave, Bold, Bizarre and Kind Of Brilliant

Ashoten

Aug 29, 2010
Bob. Stop pretending that you don't have a little Brian Griffon you yourself. There is a reason people should be concerned about the bible becoming relevant again in the public eye and you know it. Although if this movie is as far removed form the squeaky clean version parents tell children then I am interested to see it. Hell a Sampson movie would be good if it is made in a similar way with a hard 'R' keeping all the sex and violence that make it clear Sampson is not a good guy but rather a person of circumstance.

You know I can't even remember if the story of Sampson had a moral or point to it except maybe 'Don't trust women'. I wonder how dated and sexist stuff like that is going to play out to a modern movie going audience in this atmosphere of hype equality awareness. I visit tumblr too.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
themilo504 said:
marioandsonic said:
2:40

Am I the only one who's sick of the "industry/science/technology is bad, nature is good" idea that pops up in movies/games/books/etc.?
I?m not sick of it I always hated it, If you honestly want to live without techonogy you are a idiot.

Despite that annoying plot point the movie still looks very interesting.
Same here. I don't even think people who want to go technologically/scientifically backwards have the skills to survive in such an environment. An even more blatant message this movie's pushing is "eating meat = bad / vegan = good."

OT: Now I'm a little more interested in this movie, if its beginning showing its version of The Beginning is as balls-out crazy as that. It's kind of a cop out that the animals, the WHOLE FREAKIN' POINT OF BUILDING THE ARK, got the short straw.

And no, I'm not impressed by ASM2's Green Goblin. Maybe an inherently silly costume in the comics is hard to translate to film.

captcha: veg out
Oh hell no, I'm a meat eater. Like my hero, Ron Swanson.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Meat eating evil B-( vegetable eating good :) ... Yeah. Bit simplistic isn't it bob. Nope, I'm already insulted by the moral bullshit.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
V4Viewtiful said:
Weshould have a pole. "Who's Hot Enough to be Delilah?"

Any takers?
After some consideration, I'm going to have to go with Eva Green.

Also, while I agree it may be simplistic and a little tired, I think people might be jumping the gun a little getting so uppity about the vegetarian, environmental harmony crowd being denoted the good guys in this one. Certainly, Bob seems to be saying that despite that, this film is far less interested in shoving a moral message of any sort down your throat that some others inspired by religious texts, and is far more concerned with the, well, 'biblical' scale of the thing.

Not everything that so much as passively holds a world-view that differs from yours should be considered a personal attack or admonishment, you know.

Gaijinko

Aug 4, 2013
Noah: lets build a giant boat to save the world from flooding,
Son: what shall we use?
Noah: Wood of course.
Son: from trees? say don't trees help prevent flooding and whatnot, I mean if we didn't build the ungodly big boat by deforestation maybe the world won't flood.
Noah: I hate you, you don't get to stay on the giant boat now.

Itchi_da_killa

Jun 5, 2012
You hope for Samson next huh? Good choice but, I think a treatment such as this needs to be done with "The Epic of Gilgamesh".

Itchi_da_killa

Jun 5, 2012
NinjaDeathSlap said:
V4Viewtiful said:
Weshould have a pole. "Who's Hot Enough to be Delilah?"

Any takers?
After some consideration, I'm going to have to go with Eva Green.

Also, while I agree it may be simplistic and a little tired, I think people might be jumping the gun a little getting so uppity about the vegetarian, environmental harmony crowd being denoted the good guys in this one. Certainly, Bob seems to be saying that despite that, this film is far less interested in shoving a moral message of any sort down your throat that some others inspired by religious texts, and is far more concerned with the, well, 'biblical' scale of the thing.

Not everything that so much as passively holds a world-view that differs from yours should be considered a personal attack or admonishment, you know.
I agree with the conclusion of your careful consideration... Eva Green ftw!

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Gaijinko said:
Son: from trees? say don't trees help prevent flooding and whatnot, I mean if we didn't build the ungodly big boat by deforestation maybe the world won't flood.
That could work into the curse of Cham.

Noah: I celebrate with wine and you talk smack about my drunkeness? This is the last straw, boy!
Cham: I'm not the one who cut down the trees making the flood worse.
Noah: Yeah well me and the fallen angels are tight now and we got plans for you.
Cham: Um, you forgot I'm blessed dad just like my other brothers you can't touch me
Noah: well seeing as you like dragging my name through the mud how about we do that to your children!

And thus Black people was born ;)

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Oh, two for Eva Green, any other candidates? Come one, there's a decent pool of good looking actors out some of them are even great actors :p

Gaijinko

Aug 4, 2013
V4Viewtiful said:
Gaijinko said:

Noah: I celebrate with wine and you talk smack about my drunkeness? This is the last straw, boy!
Noah: Yeah well me and the fallen angels are tight now and we got plans for you.
Cham: Um, you forgot I'm blessed dad just like my other brothers you can't touch me
Noah: well seeing as you like dragging my name through the mud how about we do that to your children!

I actually had to look up the curse of ham and it still has me scratching my head. So Ham sees old guy wang and danglies and recoils, screams at his brothers to make the old guy put on some underpants or at least get a hilarious facebook picture of it, Noah wakes and rather than laughing it off, curses Hams son for eternity. Are we SURE Noah isn't some sort of envoy of the devil.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Gaijinko said:
V4Viewtiful said:
Gaijinko said:

I actually had to look up the curse of ham and it still has me scratching my head. So Ham sees old guy wang and danglies and recoils, screams at his brothers to make the old guy put on some underpants or at least get a hilarious facebook picture of it, Noah wakes and rather than laughing it off, curses Hams son for eternity. Are we SURE Noah isn't some sort of envoy of the devil.
Actually it may not just be that, Cham may have spread word around of his Dads drunkeness or disrespected his name in some way that caused great dishonor. The timescale and the metaphorical context of the story as well as the odd miss translation (or double meaning, like how Judas "Betraying" Jesus may just have meant Jesus wanted one of them to hand him over to the authorities willingly) is sketchy at best because.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
So Noah's not bad, good to hear.

Also, I'm surprised at the casting of Warwick Davis as Green Goblin myself. A bold and interesting choice!

Gaijinko

Aug 4, 2013
V4Viewtiful said:
Gaijinko said:
V4Viewtiful said:
Gaijinko said:

Actually it may not just be that, Cham may have spread word around of his Dads drunkeness or disrespected his name in some way that caused great dishonor. The timescale and the metaphorical context of the story as well as the odd miss translation (or double meaning, like how Judas "Betraying" Jesus may just have meant Jesus wanted one of them to hand him over to the authorities willingly) is sketchy at best because.
I will admit it has got me interested to read a religious text now to find out exactly what happened, and how we can interpret what was at the time very serious stories through modern eyes. I mean I had to learn from the internet that Jesus actually dabbled in dragon taming.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Gaijinko said:
V4Viewtiful said:
Gaijinko said:
V4Viewtiful said:
Gaijinko said:

I will admit it has got me interested to read a religious text now to find out exactly what happened, and how we can interpret what was at the time very serious stories through modern eyes. I mean I had to learn from the internet that Jesus actually dabbled in dragon taming.
A big chunk of what we know about christianity is propaganda, like how Jesus story skips his teens, or the crazy creatures that roamed the Earth like in the Noah film. Hell even marriage, it used to be for many many many centuries more of a business transaction then anything we believe it to be now.
I personally like the old testament because it's just so raw! :D I've read some of the old Hebrew text and it goes into a lot more detail with many of these stories, as you'd expect.

Apr 17, 2009
McMarbles said:
THAT'S the Greem Goblin? Apparently someone's ony point of reference for goblins was iLabyrinth.
That's what i keep telling everyone! Amazing's Goblin totally looks like Jareth in his younger days or something. Or maybe Jareth's kid going through a grunge phase

Gaijinko

Aug 4, 2013
V4Viewtiful said:
Gaijinko said:
V4Viewtiful said:
Gaijinko said:
V4Viewtiful said:
Gaijinko said:

A big chunk of what we know about christianity is propaganda, like how Jesus story skips his teens, or the crazy creatures that roamed the Earth like in the Noah film. Hell even marriage, it used to be for many many many centuries more of a business transaction then anything we believe it to be now.
I personally like the old testament because it's just so raw! :D I've read some of the old Hebrew text and it goes into a lot more detail with many of these stories, as you'd expect.
This may sound a bit wrong especially for purists on the matter but what I would love is if someone collected all the texts about some of the more...unknown or even forgotten or taboo as it were dealings of their religious icons, so coming from Christianity Hinduism, etc etc but translates it without bias and not too much humor so we can really see what olden time religion was all about.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Yozozo said:
marioandsonic said:
2:40

Am I the only one who's sick of the "industry/science/technology is bad, nature is good" idea that pops up in movies/games/books/etc.?
I think that is why Bob was like "GEEZE, I wonder who the good guys are" so sarcastically. It is certainly becoming a very tiring trope. Too bad the reverse would get skewered in today's overly charged political climate :/
Can't we just have a film that says, just maybe, neither side is evil?

That's why Princess Mononoke was so great. The people destroying the forest were just outcasts, prostitutes, and and lepers who were trying to utilize natural resources to survive in a world that didn't want them. All the forest spirits were just trying to maintain their way of life in a world that was advancing, and leaving them behind. Neither side was evil, and the film wasn't too preachy. But we can't tell a story like that today, that would be mature.

nintendofan25

Dec 5, 2013
V4Viewtiful said:
Gaijinko said:
V4Viewtiful said:
Gaijinko said:
V4Viewtiful said:
Gaijinko said:

if you are interested, check out the infancy gospel of Thomas. it tells a story of jesus as kid, and in it he kills another boy by pointing at him for just running into him. not the jesus you hear about in the gospels. =)

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
nintendofan25 said:
V4Viewtiful said:
Gaijinko said:
V4Viewtiful said:
Gaijinko said:
V4Viewtiful said:
Gaijinko said:

if you are interested, check out the infancy gospel of Thomas. it tells a story of jesus as kid, and in it he kills another boy by pointing at him for just running into him. not the jesus you hear about in the gospels. =)
Jesus giving someone "the finger" after running into him? Flippin' fantastic :)