Escape to the Movies: Paul

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
Hexskit said:
Cliff_m85 said:
McNinja said:
Cliff_m85 said:
McNinja said:
The "theory" in the theory of evolution means that there is significant evidence to support it. However, I believe that there is an omnipotent being called "God" who at the very least kick-started the whole thing.

On that note: we get it movieBob, you don't think ID is right. However, being so arrogant and pretentious as to just automatically assume you're right and want to shove just how wrong those who believe in ID are is simply terrible. Not like "you're a terrible person" but terrible as in terrible, terrible journalism. I for one will not be watching anymore of MovieBobs series (any one them), because I don't like pretentious pricks telling me how wrong I am for believing something.
You're wrong for believing in something where the main qualifier is "I HAVE FAITH" rather than "I have significant evidence to show how what I believe is correct".

I'll tell you how silly you are just as I'd tell Fred Phelps how silly he is just as I'd tell a racist or a sexist how their faith-based beliefs are silly. I'll be watching each MovieBob twice to make up for you.
Really? Why is that wrong? You have no evidence to the contrary, so you cannot prove that I am wrong. BAM.

Just kidding. About the "BAM" part, not the evidence part. When you prove that we were not created by a god of any sort, I'll tell you how right you were. Until then, please keep your foolhardy assertions to yourself.

And just for the record, I do believe that there are aliens, and that evolution happened, just not to the "we evolved from microbes" degree.
Illogical. My mother birthed me, but you cannot prove that my mother is NOT an alien from GammaBeta Quadrant Flabnoix. You can't prove a negative, sir. There is always a loophole in the argument when you are trying to prove a negative. For instance, you can't prove that I'm not a puppy. What's that? I look human? A disguise, I assure you. X-ray? Sure, but my puppiness is fused to my human disguise and I have a beta-sensor module that transmits false waves to Xrays.

You can't prove a negative, I repeat.

I don't believe in aliens just as you don't believe in evolution. Your claim is akin to "I like BLT sandwiches, but only if they don't have bacon on them".
Again, dark matter.

Also, learn to multi-quote.
I ignored it because I thought it was silly. Obviously you have no understanding of dark matter. We can detect dark matter via it's gravity. There is demonstrable evidence of it existing. We may not know a lot about it, but we can detect it. Invisibility only neglects sight, not any other sense.

Jenx

Dec 5, 2007
Oh boo hoo Bob, the Conan looks fine. At least he has black hair and pants this time around.

ggundam8

Nov 8, 2010
Cliff_m85 said:
MrhalfAwake said:
Where any intelligent design people saying anything to you? Where they being rude to you?

They're allowed to beleive what they believe without some fatass internet tosser acting superior.
That's why we should treat the Klan with respect as well as the Westboro Baptist Church. They're allowed to believe and if anyone dares laugh at their silly faith-based beliefs then THEY'RE the bad guys.
What are you? Two years old? There are extremist in all walks of life. Using the extremist as your proof makes you look foolish.

You have to have the same amount of faith to be Atheist just as to be a Cristian. First you have to believe there was an explosion in nothingness. From that explosion a perfectly in-sync expanding universe was created by accident. Now by chance something crashes on a planet that is the perfect distance from the sun for it to grow and expand. Now after a very long time a perfectly in-sync ecosystem is formed with many divergent species, all from that one accident. After more time and many more accidents we come into play and now you Cliff_m85 have the ability to enlighten us with your vast knowledge through the internet.

I just wish my accidents worked out like that.

Squigie

Nov 20, 2009
Alar said:
I may end up seeing both of these next week. I haven't been to the theater in months, and I think I could use a pick me up.
ImSkeletor said:
What the hell is "Intelligent Design"?

OT: Another good review and you have convinced me that I need to see this.
As I understand it, Intelligent Design says that life on the planet Earth and generally the universe in general is so complex and works so damn well together that the only possible explanation behind it and the many patterns that exist is some sort of 'intelligent designer' behind it all.

Basically saying that God made everything, but being more obscure about it so they're not outright saying God.
Intelligent Design is not a belief in a creator figure. Intelligent Design is the insistence on the literal interpretation of a book that contradicts itself before the end of the second page with a shoddy find-and-replace job to get it into public schools. That is why it is mocked and why most Christians in the world reject it.

The ID nutters gather sympathy by portraying themselves as normal Christians struggling against an oppressive scientific conspiracy. They deserve to be mocked and marginalized (along with obnoxious atheists).

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
ggundam8 said:
Cliff_m85 said:
MrhalfAwake said:
Where any intelligent design people saying anything to you? Where they being rude to you?

They're allowed to beleive what they believe without some fatass internet tosser acting superior.
That's why we should treat the Klan with respect as well as the Westboro Baptist Church. They're allowed to believe and if anyone dares laugh at their silly faith-based beliefs then THEY'RE the bad guys.
What are you? Two years old? There are extremist in all walks of life. Using the extremist as your proof makes you look foolish.

You have to have the same amount of faith to be Atheist just as to be a Cristian. First you have to believe there was an explosion in nothingness. From that explosion a perfectly in-sync expanding universe was created by accident. Now by chance something crashes on a planet that is the perfect distance from the sun for it to grow and expand. Now after a very long time a perfectly in-sync ecosystem is formed with many divergent species, all from that one accident. After more time and many more accidents we come into play and now you Cliff_m85 have the ability to enlighten us with your vast knowledge through the internet.

I just wish my accidents worked out like that.
To be a Christian, as I assume you are, you have to pretend you understand Atheism. You have to stick to what pastors tell you about Atheism, such as they believe an explosion in nothingness created the universe as well as a deeply held belief that learning what the Big Bang actually is doesn't really matter. Then, even when using a wrong model, you must insist in using terms "created" when discussing the cosmos. Then you must state that the universe is perfectly in-sync when only one planet, out of thousands, has life on it. It's like failing a test, getting your name right on the top, and claiming to be Einstein.

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
Mister Linton said:
Cliff_m85 said:
It's foolishness and everyone is growing tired of it. I used to be the comforting "believe what you want as long as you do no harm" dude until I realized that religion harms people even when it intends the best. So I'll say it, ID is moronic. The poster you responded to can be all 'gee-shucks', but he's asserting an answer using a placeholder. I'd be like me claiming that unobtainium is the cure for cancer, and until we can test it there's no reason to look elsewhere for the cure.
Because atheism never hurt anyone, right? Eugenics would like a word with you.
Sorry, I think I hear an individual misinterpreting Darwin. Oh wow, there IS an individual misinterpreting Darwin! :D Not only that, but mistaking Atheism with Evolution with Eugenics!

Atheism =/= Evolution. Evolution =/= Eugenics. You'd know that if you read "Origin of the Species" or any textbook on the matter of Evolution. Ben Stein is not a credible source.

Twinmill5000

Nov 12, 2009
Bob, you should watch Restrepo. It's on Netflix, and I saw it the other day. It might change your opinions.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Jenx said:
Oh boo hoo Bob, the Conan looks fine. At least he has black hair and pants this time around.
I am also a fan of the black hair and pants. :)

honestdiscussioner said:
Jason Momoa as Conan? In case any of you didn't catch it, that's the guy that played Ronan in Stargate: Atlantis. I know Bob is a bit skeptical, but Jason was a total badass on Atlantis. I for one am actually looking forward to this now even more.
I was also happy to hear that Momoa got the part. I'll admit that Ronon didn't do much for me on Atlantis but that's because he started off as something of cardboard cutout and was never developed beyond the silent-brooding-warrior-with-the-powerful-energy-weapon.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Master_of_Oldskool said:
Okay,Bob and the entire rest of the Escapist community. You're atheists. I get it. Do you find it absolutely necessary to be such dicks about it? You're entitled to your opinion, obviously. I'm not trying to claim that you're wrong. But why do you feel the need to, in your own words, "give a big 'screw you' to the Intelligent Design community"? Do you honestly think it makes you seem more credible? Do you think you're somehow converting the believers? Or is it just because our opinions differ from yours? Because there's a word for someone who's so petty they denounce any opinions that differ from theirs, and the word in question is "asshole".

Furthermore, why can't we all be right? I personally think that evolution is the best explanation for life on Earth, as there's so much evidence. I also believe that there is an omnipotent, omniscient, but not necessarily kind creature who began the whole process, and choose to call this creature God. If you don't like that second part, then feel free to disagree. But why must you take personal offense to it? Are you really that childish?

I hope I've made you all think, although I somehow doubt it.
Eh, none of that really has anything to do with the movement that MB was talking about. The sole purpose of that movement is their 'theory' being taught as a science when it is clearly not. That doesn't have much to do with personal belief, but is just wrong, dangerous and deserves to be mocked. It has been tested in multiple court cases and was always dismissed as not being science. It's this movement that deserves a big 'screw you', not the belief itself. So, don't be offended so easily next time when it's not even targeted at you.

As for the movie, I'm definately going to see it. From what I heard so far I can understand why some Americans might not find it funny, but I always enjoy different perspectives to America explored.

Tyyka

Oct 6, 2010
Man bob I love your stuff but maybe you should lay off the haterade for a bit eh? How about a little less preaching, I get that enough from parents/teachers/the govt.

DemonicVixen

Oct 24, 2009
MovieBob said:
Paul

Does combining the comedic talents from some of the best of tv and film result in the funniest movie this year?

Watch Video
LOL! I knew the image of Mac from Mac and Me (a really ancient alien movie rather like E.T) within a split second of seeing the image. I LOVE THAT MOVIE! =D

Jan 2, 2009
Cliff_m85 said:
Hexskit said:
Cliff_m85 said:
McNinja said:
Cliff_m85 said:
McNinja said:
The "theory" in the theory of evolution means that there is significant evidence to support it. However, I believe that there is an omnipotent being called "God" who at the very least kick-started the whole thing.

On that note: we get it movieBob, you don't think ID is right. However, being so arrogant and pretentious as to just automatically assume you're right and want to shove just how wrong those who believe in ID are is simply terrible. Not like "you're a terrible person" but terrible as in terrible, terrible journalism. I for one will not be watching anymore of MovieBobs series (any one them), because I don't like pretentious pricks telling me how wrong I am for believing something.
You're wrong for believing in something where the main qualifier is "I HAVE FAITH" rather than "I have significant evidence to show how what I believe is correct".

I'll tell you how silly you are just as I'd tell Fred Phelps how silly he is just as I'd tell a racist or a sexist how their faith-based beliefs are silly. I'll be watching each MovieBob twice to make up for you.
Really? Why is that wrong? You have no evidence to the contrary, so you cannot prove that I am wrong. BAM.

Just kidding. About the "BAM" part, not the evidence part. When you prove that we were not created by a god of any sort, I'll tell you how right you were. Until then, please keep your foolhardy assertions to yourself.

And just for the record, I do believe that there are aliens, and that evolution happened, just not to the "we evolved from microbes" degree.
Illogical. My mother birthed me, but you cannot prove that my mother is NOT an alien from GammaBeta Quadrant Flabnoix. You can't prove a negative, sir. There is always a loophole in the argument when you are trying to prove a negative. For instance, you can't prove that I'm not a puppy. What's that? I look human? A disguise, I assure you. X-ray? Sure, but my puppiness is fused to my human disguise and I have a beta-sensor module that transmits false waves to Xrays.

You can't prove a negative, I repeat.

I don't believe in aliens just as you don't believe in evolution. Your claim is akin to "I like BLT sandwiches, but only if they don't have bacon on them".
Again, dark matter.

Also, learn to multi-quote.
I ignored it because I thought it was silly. Obviously you have no understanding of dark matter. We can detect dark matter via it's gravity. There is demonstrable evidence of it existing. We may not know a lot about it, but we can detect it. Invisibility only neglects sight, not any other sense.
You can detect dark matter via its gravity. Wow. That's what you've got? I mean, I know that's the official scientific explanation behind it, but still. Nevermind that it's 100% transparent. Nevermind that it isn't composed of baryons, so we can't observe it absorbing radiation. Nevermind that, between dark matter and dark energy, 95% of the contents of the universe is only inferred to exist, any only based on how light behaves around it. Nevermind that, if it didn't exist, we'd have to restructure how we explain large parts of the universe. Nevermind that the idea of it was created using the train of thought: "well, our numbers don't match each other, but they can't be wrong, so let's start inventing explanations that make our models work". Nevermind that they make the assertion of the existence of this otherwise undetectable matter because elsewise, Einstein's theory of gravity would be wrong.

Nevermind that it basically amounts to the scientific community basically saying "we can't directly PROVE that this stuff exists, be we know it must exist, because we KNOW and can SEE that it affects other things", because that would wind up sounding a lot like *gasp* faith!

Now here's the twist ending, funny-man: I'm a mechanical engineering major. That's right, a science guy. I actually do believe dark matter and dark energy exist. I'm also not a militant-fucking-atheist like you and your hero Dawkins. Grow up, and realize that not only does science not have the answer for everything, but it often functions by making blind assertions and leaps of logic and frequently tries to prove conclusions after already making them.

Also, you used an "appeal to ridicule" fallacy there with your GammaBeta Quadrant Flabnoix paragraph. Get better material.

Also, yes, I obviously have no idea how dark matter works. Assumptions are great, right?

Spot1990 said:
Eugenics? You mean that thing the Nazis were all into? The Nazis who were lead by a Catholic?

Also, there is a massive difference between doing something and being atheist and doing something because you're atheist. I eat ham sandwiches. I'm an atheist while I eat ham sandwiches. My atheism does not compel me to eat ham sandwiches.

Equating the two is like saying everyone who plays videogames who has commited a violent crime did it because they play videogames.
Where does everyone get the idea that Hitler was anything besides a militant atheist? Because he was. He believed that Christianity was an invention of "the Jew", that it would ultimately lead to the failure of humanity, and that evolution was the natural order of things. And yes, I can give sauce.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
OH MY GOD!

A Seth Rogen movie I might actually enjoy!?

What sorcery is this?
Well to be fair it's nothing like his previous acts.

Good to hear Bob, I'm definitely watching this with friends.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Pegg? Frost? Wise-Cracking, stoner alien? Screw you to intelligent design?

I am so there!

I'm not really a sci-fi buff/nerd/super fan/whatever, nor am I quite old enough, but I still have some years (and I love the 80's reruns... ugh), but overall this looks like a great film.

Battle Los Angeles sounded like it could have been cool, but from what I've read and as Bob also stated, the movie plods along using the same G.I. Joe bromides as its ilk. An intelligent and well structured Sci-Fi epic centered around an alien invasion scenario would actually be quite refreshing to say the least.

serialver

Apr 14, 2009
I am a Pegg fan but something about Paul felt 'same old' to me and just did not go to LOL territory for me. In fact it seemed lacking, very Pegg and Frost but perhaps that is the problem, it is not bringing anything different to the table. For some reason, not sure why, but I've found Pegg and Frost a little hard to love as I use to, disillusionment somehow? I don't know.