Escape to the Movies: The Eagle

DenSomKastade

May 12, 2010
I think bob needs to take a deeeeeeeeeeep plunge into indie films and foreign films. There he would stop nagging about that he has already seen it...

Logic 0

Aug 28, 2009
Well summer's looking good, but the question is there anything good right now?

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
You know what wouldn't be cliche, but would rather be an interesting twist? A movie in which the CELTS were the heroes and not the Romans. After all, the majority of Americans are actually descended from Celts and Goths, not from the Romans. Not to mention the fact that the Romans were the oppressing and invading army. Granted, they also had a monopoly on civilization in the west (besides the fact that the Greeks largely did it better), but still, it would be a nice change of pace rooting for the underdogs.

Da Joz

May 19, 2009
I saw centurion and that's enough 9th legion movies for me.

And yes slapping yoshi in mario galaxy is equal to adding a jetpack to Halo.

And arbys is awesome.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
FANBOY! MASSIVE FANBOY! Oh like he cares and like I can hudge I am a massive Dragon Age fanboy (OMG DR2 SQUEE). Oh yeah the movie. To boring to comment... wait...

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
HankMan said:
Or maybe I'll just go back and watch The Thirteenth Warrior again.
It's alright, little brother - there are more!

*points at the oncoming rush of Roman-themed combat movies behind HankMan*

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Yoshi is a god? Yeah... this is why I don't always agree on your views about gaming.

As for this film? Strangely enough I haven't heard of it so it seems dull even by marketing standards. And trust me I usually find out about films, good, bad, mainstream, independent, foreign, documentary etc quiet easily online.

mechanixis said:
What I learned from this thread is that if you make a reasonable, considered appraisal of moviegoers and the film industry but then mention in passing that you also don't like a certain videogame, the public will zero in on the latter and rip your throat out.

The community here can get really tiresome.
Granted but this is a game site first.

Islandboy2

Dec 17, 2010
Darn i was hoping you'd review the Justin Bieber movie.....

now seriously when are good movies coming out?

Arella18

Apr 22, 2009
I have to give Movie bob props for giving props to Yahtzee and Extra Credits ^_^ you're a good man movie bob with a good eye for quality.

On to the movie review...yeah...I agree its dull...so was King Arthur and all the other movies like that 300 was the closest one I saw to entertaining...mainly because of the tree of corpses I now want in my front yard...

anyway good review as usual movie bob.

pigmy wurm

Nov 18, 2009
this looks like the type of movie that would be fun to watch with a bunch of friends at someones house most likely while consuming alcohol. However, I would probably never see this in theaters.

qeinar

Jul 14, 2009
i watch a shit tone of movies and i'm pretty much bored with nearly everything that is comming out.. ._. if i see/learn 1 new thing from a movie even though it's just a cool trick of some sort it makes the xperience way better for me, but this seem to rarely happen nowadays. o_O'

ironlordthemad

Sep 25, 2009
I was waiting for something like, "Centurion was pretty good wasn't it."

But I have to point out something on your arby's section.

If you only like a few things and you think something is good because it does what you want, then it is good, in your opinion. And thats what your forgetting, you don't have the final say on things, you have an opinion. Even if that opinion turns out to be right, its still just an opinion. It doesn't matter if its an "informed opinion", its still an opinion.

But on the plus side of having an opinion, you can't be called on it, because if you say its your opinion then no one can say your wrong because its your interpretation of something and no one can say your right or wrong because... its an opinion! But in your videos you use a tone that suggests your stating facts. Its where most of my problems with this series are...

Also whats with all the inter-escapist-features trying to show how much they love each other...

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
I'd go on about why Halo reach is more than halo 3 with jetpacks, but I am tired, and I think bob's just trolling us with that.

Legendairy314

Aug 26, 2010
What's this? Another crack at the Halo series? I fanboy is you!

Jokes aside I think you make a good point that if everyone just sat there and mindlessly took everything the entertainment industry threw at us then we'd seriously be missing out on quality experiences. I didn't even know this movie existed before you reviewed it. Let's hope that it doesn't bomb so bad that people start getting laid off because of it but also doesn't make enough money to be shown as acceptable. After all, I'm pretty sure the people that made it didn't have a plain, boring, bland movie in mind at the time...

neumena

Feb 11, 2011
Did I detect an Enter the Void frame in there?

Why not review that rather than this boring movie?!

Frankfurter4444

Aug 11, 2009
When I watch Escape to the Movies, a large reason why is to see if I should go see the movie. In that respect, a bored critic doesn't help me. I think there should be a difference between bad like Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen and nothing spectacular like The Green Hornet or The Eagle. I don't want to pay money to see a bad movie, but I'm not opposed to seeing a movie that isn't going to light the world on fire. Don't get me wrong, when a District 9 or Inception comes along that even a movie critic can get excited about, by all means get excited. Those movies were awesome and I appreciate your recommendation. But since The Eagle is only not bad, I might enjoy it. At least this time you acknowledge that. Thanks.

Frankfurter4444

Aug 11, 2009
Also, thanks for pronouncing "culinary" correctly. Every time I see someone pronounce it the other way, it bugs me. I was starting to think I was the only one who knew the right way.

lokiduck

Jun 5, 2010
Thank you Bob for clarifying your opinion and finally responding to everyone against you. I was worried for a while that we were going different opinions, but I now see where your angle is from and I feel I can now assess my interest for various films.

I may see this movie still because I haven't seen many last legion type films, though I'm sorry but Season of the Witch is the only Buddy cop medieval film.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I thought MovieBob enjoyed Centurion? Flip-floppy much?

Channing Tatum was threatening to become my least favourite actor until he stole his scenes in The Dilemma. Here's hoping he keeps it up in The Eagle, but I highly doubt he will.