Evangeliowned

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
IndieGinge said:
axlryder said:
Of course, the first, "mature" point actually makes sense, and is pretty much what I figured the artist/writer duo were going for when writing the initial comic. Sadly, the "cheap shot" second half doesn't fair so well. Since branding and merch does absolutely nothing to invalidate the artistic merit of the original material, to make such an implication, even in an attempt at humor, kind of comes off as a poor rebuttal. I'm sure that logical failing will be reflected in the comments. In light of that, it sort of made me wince and chuckle at the same time.
[The Joke]-------------->

[Your head]

The cheap shot is entirely a joke at the expense of anyone who'd miss the humor in this comic or (especially) the last one by trying to dissect the actual "message". and in doing so they drew attention to the disconnect between the actual Anime and its messages, and the marketing of the anime. They aren't saying it invalidates Eva, just pointing out that for a series that attacked the Otaku culture it certainly panders to it a whole fuckton. And that absurdity is funny.
[My comment] --------->

[your head]

yes, I understand the humor there. They're bating. That's why it made me "wince and chuckle at the same time".

IndieGinge

May 14, 2013
axlryder said:
IndieGinge said:
axlryder said:
Of course, the first, "mature" point actually makes sense, and is pretty much what I figured the artist/writer duo were going for when writing the initial comic. Sadly, the "cheap shot" second half doesn't fair so well. Since branding and merch does absolutely nothing to invalidate the artistic merit of the original material, to make such an implication, even in an attempt at humor, kind of comes off as a poor rebuttal. I'm sure that logical failing will be reflected in the comments. In light of that, it sort of made me wince and chuckle at the same time.

[Your head]

The cheap shot is entirely a joke at the expense of anyone who'd miss the humor in this comic or (especially) the last one by trying to dissect the actual "message". and in doing so they drew attention to the disconnect between the actual Anime and its messages, and the marketing of the anime. They aren't saying it invalidates Eva, just pointing out that for a series that attacked the Otaku culture it certainly panders to it a whole fuckton. And that absurdity is funny.
[My comment] --------->

[your head]

yes, I understand the humor there. They're bating. That's why it made me "wince and chuckle at the same time".
My comment was over the fact that you still went after their presentation of that merch like it was an actual rebuttal, while it's clearly just them laughing at their critics. I have a feeling though that right now we're both suffering from some form of mis-communication. In which case

[WordsWordsWords]------------------------------------------------------------->

[Our heads]

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
IndieGinge said:
axlryder said:
IndieGinge said:
axlryder said:

[Your head]

[My comment] --------->

[your head]

My comment was over the fact that you still went after their presentation of that merch like it was an actual rebuttal, while it's clearly just them laughing at their critics. I have a feeling though that right now we're both suffering from some form of mis-communication. In which case

[Our heads]
The joke was that in the progression of my comment I pointed out the "logical error", then pointed out that obviously everyone was going to talk about said error who might vehemently defend eva, and then coming to the realization that that was the mischievously crafted point of the whole thing. Thus the "wince and chuckle bit". But yes, I'm sure I could have phrased it much better to reflect that looking back on it.

IndieGinge

May 14, 2013
axlryder said:
IndieGinge said:
axlryder said:
IndieGinge said:
axlryder said:

[Your head]

[My comment] --------->

[your head]

[Our heads]
The joke was that in the progression of my comment I pointed out the "logical error", then pointed out that obviously everyone was going to talk about said error who might vehemently defend eva, and then coming to the realization that that was the mischievously crafted point of the whole thing. Thus the "wince and chuckle bit". But yes, I'm sure I could have phrased it much better to reflect that looking back on it.
Eh, it's fine. Just the internet. I was probably a bit rude with the first joke, though the intent was more for a sort of visual/textual mix of humor. Your joke was a bit too dry however, it was close enough in tone to someone who "was" actually complaining about Cory and Grey's "rebuttal" that I mistook it for such a comment. Oh if only there was a joking font, right?

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
IndieGinge said:
axlryder said:
IndieGinge said:
axlryder said:
IndieGinge said:
axlryder said:

[Your head]

[My comment] --------->

[your head]

[Our heads]
Eh, it's fine. Just the internet. I was probably a bit rude with the first joke, though the intent was more for a sort of visual/textual mix of humor. Your joke was a bit too dry however, it was close enough in tone to someone who "was" actually complaining about Cory and Grey's "rebuttal" that I mistook it for such a comment. Oh if only there was a joking font, right?
I like dry when it's done right. If done better, it straddles that line that allows for misinterpretation without being unfair. I like straddling. Straddling....

What were we talking about?

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
As someone with absolutely no stake in Neon Genesis Evangelion, may I just say,

BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!

That is all.

EstrogenicMuscle

Sep 7, 2012
IndieGinge said:

[Our heads]
That's what I got out of that conversation.
Mocmocman said:
I have fallen in love.
He is perfect. I will win his love. We must marry.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
While I agree that you can't judge art/entertainment by the merchandising and product placement created for it, I do think you can at least partially judge it's fanbase by these things.

For example, from this:

RJ 17 said:
Oh, and let's not forget the mousepads with the 3D tits "wrist cushions"
I can guess than Evangelion fans have very delicate sensitive wrists.

[sub]That or they like to pretend they're smothering women to death with their mouse.[/sub]

Tradjus

Apr 25, 2011
Any anime that gets popular is going too have corporate tie-in products.
This has absolutely no bearing on how "Deep" an anime is, it's just business.
If a super dense anime about the works of Marx and his way of thinking about the world full of long intellectual banter and hypothetical language got super popular, you can bet they'd slap a Chibi Kawaii bearded communist on a hamburger package. Wait.. someone has probably already done that.

Someonetookmyname

Jul 13, 2010
I would've gotten mad at the people E-Mailing you about your previous strip in anger. Except, without them I would not have received this glorious strip. Soo, I'm glad for nerdrage. I guess.

Someonetookmyname

Jul 13, 2010
I would've gotten mad at the people E-Mailing you about your previous strip in anger. Except, without them I would not have received this glorious strip. Soo, I'm glad for nerdrage. I guess.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
OlasDAlmighty said:
While I agree that you can't judge art/entertainment by the merchandising and product placement created for it, I do think you can at least partially judge it's fanbase by these things.

For example, from this:

RJ 17 said:
Oh, and let's not forget the mousepads with the 3D tits "wrist cushions"
I can guess than Evangelion fans have very delicate sensitive wrists.

[sub]That or they like to pretend they're smothering women to death with their mouse.[/sub]
To be fair, such breast-enhanced mousepads exist with a number of different anime/videogame characters.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Treaos Serrare said:
I'll give him being freaked out about the whole thing for maybe the first five minutes or so of battle but after his first victory he should have been all in on that shit not whining and wimping out at every available opportunity
Actually, he doesn't whine and ***** at every moment and when he does it is somewhat justifiable.

4th angel: Overcomes his fear and kills it despite being ordered to retreat
5th angle: Comes much closer to killing him than the previous two so his emotional condition during that fight is justifiable, IMO
6th-11th angels: I actually do not recall Shinji whining or complaining to any extent during these battles.
12th angel: He is literally trapped inside the angel, can do nothing to escape, and nearly suffocates to death.
13th angel: Lets see...one of his best friends, Toji, is trapped inside EVA 05, and Shinji can only watch helplessly as EVA 01 viciously rips it apart and nearly kills Toji (or in the manga actually does kill him).
14th angel: Despite all the shit that happened to him in the previous fight, he willingly returns to fight and defeat the 14th angel.
15th angel: Results in Asuka becoming a vegtable
16th angel: Results in the death of Rie
17th angel: After becoming friends with Kawouru he is force to kill him. Its important to note that at his point all the people close to him with the exception of Misato, are either dead, comatose, or have moved away due to most of Tokyo being in ruins after the 16th angel fight.

So yeah Shinji can be excessively whiny and annoying at times, but considering how fucked up his life can get at times I can't say I always blame him.

Treaos Serrare said:
there's what 4-5 girls in the series that try to get with him or at least give him the opportunity and he is just utterly clueless about them
There's really only 3

Rei- incapable of reciprocating any kind of feelings
Asuka- Definition of a ***** and hate's his guts at times
Misato- 10+ years older than him and is his guardian

Not exactly candidates for a healthy sexual relationship and I have no memory of them giving him the "opportunity", at least none that I would consider consensual.

Treaos Serrare said:
and any progression he makes at all as a character is immediately reverted to pre-eva shinji at the very first opportunity or with no reason at all in a jarring shift that would drop the transmission out of most cars
Yeah as much as I defend Shinji, even I'll admit that that the whole "one step forward three steps backward" routine can get pretty annoying. I'm hoping that by the end of EVA 4.0 Shinji will have made actually made some progress without losing it all, though 3.0 didn't exactly paint a pretty picture. I swear by the end of that film his mental condition was worse than it had ever been in the TV series.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
xdiesp said:
Izanagi009 said:
that will leave many trying to understand what Anno was trying to say and do
Anno is first and foremost talking to his people, otakus from a couple decades back. Gainax and old makers do that, planting references and breaking the 4th wall. Of course if one is not an old otaku from the 70-80s, he won't appreciate that, but that's within his rights!

Also, neither he nor other famous comic makers have any qualm about "art" being what they're doing. They are content with making their job skillfully, for people who love it. Only wannabe think they can make the big jump once someone recognizes that magically their crap has turned into arrrrt.
I guess that's what's great about Hideki Anno, he made what he believed was best for the series at heart and ignored ignorant fanboy outrage flung towards him. And when people started sending death threats, he decided to troll them both by making End of Evangleion and by actually putting the death threats in the movie.

He is a true artist and one who i wish there are more of

senordesol

Oct 12, 2009
Cheap shot, guys, real cheap shot. Japanese advertising in general is completely nutballs nonsensical. According to Japanese advertising there's an ongoing war between Tommy Lee Jones and a fucking dog (I think). They love to reference popular characters in their ads regardless of any logical context (or even permission, at times).

Understanding that this wasn't supposed to be an overly intellectual exercise to begin with, I see where you were coming from; and the fact that a violent psychopath and an emotionally dead homunculus have become sex symbols of anime is pretty hysterical...this just seemed so...well...cheap.

I suppose it is arguable that you tried to make the honest point -fifteen years: no character growth- and so now the cheaper point is deserved, but y'all are better than that.

BTW: I loved the first comic about NGE so much...the one about Gendo Ikari being objectively the best dad ever: hilarious.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Aptspire said:
The best one, imo, is the razor.
Well you could use it to slice your own wrists to escape Shinji's misery
[sub]If you can't for some reason stop watching it, that is[/sub]

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Redlin5 said:
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ahahaha

aha

ah....

I laughed out loud in a library thanks to this. My anime loving friend is so getting this linked to him. XD
Did your laughter reminded this?

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
Pinkamena said:
*Incoherent screaming of Evangelion fans in the distance*

Aaah... The sound of justice.
Best served with a side of tears, my good sir. Could I interest you in any?

OT: Now if only Gary could parody everyone who compares everything giant robot with Eva... X3

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
IndieGinge said:
Though, to be honest, I'm really surprised at the general tone of discussion. Eva is deeper than most shows (anime or live action) but it's not that hard to understand, so I don't get why fans are constantly going "It's sooooooo deep, you just don't get it!" (and the people who are saying the "actually this is what it means/ is about" whenever anyone makes a joke) or haters saying "EVERYTHING IN IT MEANS NOTHING IT SUCKS I HATE IT!"
It isn't as deep as people say perhaps, but when you get people who genuinely think it is about nothing more than giant robots, clearly it has gone over some peoples heads. It's the equivalent of saying The Matrix and Fight Club are about fighting.

It seems to be one of those series where the "haters" hate it more because of the annoying fans, than anything to do with the actual thing itself, and like to trash it just to annoy those fans. The whole NGE thing strongly reminds me of Valve fans/haters in fact.

Although in this case, people really need to get how Grey's humour works, it should be kind of obvious by now. I didn't find the joke funny, but it's still pretty obvious that it is a joke.

Also, on the subject of Shinji, am I the only one who didn't wind up wanting fire him out of a cannon into the sun? I mean, he not admirable, but he's interesting and I just feel bad for the poor guy. His life kinda blows.
I agree, and that's another thing a lot of people don't seem to get. When you look at what he has to deal with, and has had to deal with in the past, it really shouldn't be that surprising that he is a little messed up.

Zero=Interrupt

Nov 9, 2009
Shinji's life blows, but he reacts to that by being an unlikable spineless moron, and not by rising to the occasion like, say, Simon from Gurren Lagann (whose life sucks more, arguably, because he lives underground and has to dig tunnels with a fucking HAND DRILL).

EVA in general had a fucked up nonsensical plot that ultimately ends up going to a Gainax mindfuck ending. Some people thought it was deep, other that it was fucking idiotic. I turned off the series at ep 1 because I fucking hated Shinji. That the series went on to kill the other, more likable characters an end in a stupid wau proved me right for tuning out.

But, each to his own.