Eve Online Panel Encourages Harassing Suicidal Player

gfldex

Mar 27, 2012
Akisa said:
gfldex said:
Dear Internetrighteous, (...)
Have you seen the video towards the end? Someone in the audience mentions the guy moved to a different alliance and was kicked out of that. Unless you're calling the idiot on stage and the person in the audience working together, I see it was completely plausible. I just believe you're just a new account made to defend the person.
Ohh, nice. The Just-A-New-Account-Argument, how original! No I would never defend The Mittani. He is a clown with to much power and he acts as such. Anyway, I play the game for many many years (I actually post with my main here) and most of the stuff that hits any forum was found to be made up a few years later.

What he did is a crime in pretty much any country (it's at least slander) but that doesn't make it any more likely that this stuff is real. Real journalism looks different. It's sad to see how many gaming sites picked the story up without seeking any form credible of confirmation. As a result all of them got the story wrong in one way or another.

Do you like that? I don't. And I for sure don't like the general public asking for somebody to die or have his civil rights removed because of drunk statements about a internet spaceship game. But you Mr. Akisa I'm Posting Here For Years seam not to like calls for reason. Are you trying to defend the torch and pitchfork faction?

Kebabco

Jun 5, 2010
Lol it seems that even the nerdiest of groups have retarded status-plays / hierarchies / sadistic bullying. Is anyone else reminded of "Times I Tried To Be A Hipster?" Tales Of Mere Existence (on youtube)?

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
This sounds perfectly in line with average net attitudes to suicidal tendencies so... Not surprised.

Though glancing at a few comments there might be more to this story then is said, guess I lack context to understand even if situation seems black and white.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
it is because the internet breeds anomanimity and anomanimity breeds selfish bastards. Proof? just look at most formspring account

kyp275

Mar 27, 2012
Here's a couple pretty good thought-up blog posts about this:

http://jestertrek.blogspot.de/2012/03/hats.html

http://liangnuren.wordpress.com/2012/03/26/the-mittani-hero/

Akisa

Jan 7, 2010
gfldex said:
Akisa said:
gfldex said:
Dear Internetrighteous, (...)
Have you seen the video towards the end? Someone in the audience mentions the guy moved to a different alliance and was kicked out of that. Unless you're calling the idiot on stage and the person in the audience working together, I see it was completely plausible. I just believe you're just a new account made to defend the person.
Ohh, nice. The Just-A-New-Account-Argument, how original! No I would never defend The Mittani. He is a clown with to much power and he acts as such. Anyway, I play the game for many many years (I actually post with my main here) and most of the stuff that hits any forum was found to be made up a few years later.

What he did is a crime in pretty much any country (it's at least slander) but that doesn't make it any more likely that this stuff is real. Real journalism looks different. It's sad to see how many gaming sites picked the story up without seeking any form credible of confirmation. As a result all of them got the story wrong in one way or another.

Do you like that? I don't. And I for sure don't like the general public asking for somebody to die or have his civil rights removed because of drunk statements about a internet spaceship game. But you Mr. Akisa I'm Posting Here For Years seam not to like calls for reason. Are you trying to defend the torch and pitchfork faction?
What sort of credible confirmation do you require? There is video evidence of this person calling out for the community to harass the person in order for him to commit suicide, makes an apology when member of the official boards calls him out on it.

And yes I'm trying to defend the torch and pitchfork with a passion, as any decent person should (in my opinion). This guy is allegedly a bully who has made a statement while in a public event, that was being filmed and broadcast for others to see in a public media, as liaison for the community, calling out for the community to harass a person so that they would commit suicide. By leaving Mittani on the CSM, by extension the community and CCP condone this behavior which I find disgraceful.

Being drunk is no excuse for your actions, public, private or otherwise! Even the fact that the victim may or may not be suicidal is of no concern to the topic. It's the fact that Mittani has called out for the community to harass an individual until said person commits suicide. Even presenting the potential suicidal message was a in bad taste and no form should represent the community even if said person had approximately 1/4th of the total votes.

Mayhemski

Feb 21, 2012
Well it was stupid on the part of "the Mittani" to do this while he holds the chair of CSM. Seems he didn't think about public perception of that role would put his actions in a different spot light. Even if he wasn't in the CSM his actions would/should have been treated and investigated and are no less abhorrent.

But I have read his apology and it seems sincere and he sounds contrite over these actions, but as a former lawyer (as I understand it) he more than most must understand that saying sorry isn't enough sometimes and there will be consequences.

Seems a case of a player forgetting that the anonymity of the internet is not absolute and behaviour can and will be judged in the real world in a different light. He got caught and honestly his reputation seems way to damaged to hold onto his position.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Mayhemski said:
Seems a case of a player forgetting that the anonymity of the internet is not absolute and behaviour can and will be judged in the real world in a different light. He got caught and honestly his reputation seems way to damaged to hold onto his position.
I dont think you understand why he got the postion in the first place he had a reputation for having a bad reputation(eve where the elected officials are scamers,lowlifes,&thugs)
tbh the mail and story wasn't that bad
if he would not have told them the guys name it would have been fine

Mayhemski

Feb 21, 2012
direkiller said:
Mayhemski said:
I dont think you understand why he got the postion in the first place he had a reputation for having a bad reputation(eve where the elected officials are scamers,lowlifes,&thugs)
tbh the mail and story wasn't that bad
if he would not have told them the guys name it would have been fine
Maybe but the whole crux of the issue is that he did say the players name, if he hadn't I agree a non-issue especially in a community like EVE's. But he did and to the outside world he's someone who has authority both from the players who voted for him and from CCP who created the position and gave it it's status. The outside world doesn't fully understand EVE's at times very brutal attitude of might makes right.

That does change the effect of this from being something that happens in online games a lot to an official abusing his position to the detriment of another player (a player who he should represent if I understand the position correctly), before we even get into the whole "bullying a suicidal player" part which I agree is hard to accertain the total truth of given the nature of EVE's setup and honestly if it's in anyway illegal that's for a court to deicide not the angry mob.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
The guy made a meh joke, it didn't go down well, the panel continued. Having watched the video clip where he says it, I would have thought it was pretty obvious it was intended as a joke but stretched out way too far.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Considering the guy already made a very sincere apology for it and offered to 'resign' I don't think there's much more to say.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&find=unread&t=86980

I don't think anyone will do this again at least.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I doubt I can say anything that hasn't already been said in the 6 pages of comments for this. Suffice to say that this is something that makes me ashamed to be a gamer...and I don't even play EVE.

I'm not a big fan of frivolous lawsuits...but someone should (and likely will) get sued over this. Seriously, how the hell do you come up with your panel conversation and decide "Hey guys, you know what would be a hoot? If we bring massive attention to this player who says he's horribly depressed and contemplating suicide!" "Yeah yeah! And we can give out his contact info and have the rest of the player base harass him! It'll be a hoot!"

In the words of a an internet flash-series I used to watch: "To the person who thought this would be a good topic of discussion for a gamer panel: You Are A FUCKING Moron."

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Beryl77 said:
I find it hard to believe that this is true, probably some misunderstanding or it's blown out of proportion. It is beyond me how anyone could think that it's a good idea to do this on a public event.
Apparently they were drunk.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-27-eve-online-council-chairman-announces-intent-to-resign-apologises-to-the-community

Which raises the question of why'd they let a drunk guy participate in the event.
And of course it doesn't make it okay.

Even if that guy was a troll or something, and you didn't think they were really suicidal, saying stuff he did was stupid and out of line.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
I don't know if this is true, but I feel the need to share my gut reaction before doing more research--such is the human condition for anger...

Manslaughter charge for the individual who urged others to harass the player.

Public apology to the family.

Pay all expenses that resulted from this tragedy.

Jail time.

I hope everyone involved feels this weight for the rest of their lives.

If you as a human being feel it appropriate to make another's life so uncomfortable or distressing that they seek a permanent escape--what's more, if you laugh about it and generally enjoy the thought of and eventual follow through--you need to sit down and think long and hard about your existence.

[HEADING=1]Never treat suicide like a joke.

Treat every threat as serious.

People who talk about suicide DO take their life.[/HEADING]

We only get one shot at this life and some times we need a little hand. It's always okay to ask for help.

EDIT: okay, calm now, lol. Looks like the player is okay and is actually still playing the game and doing alright.

I feel less sick.

PHEW!

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
kyp275 said:
also, the amount of douchebaggery in this thread seems to be on par with just about every internet forum I've been on, eve's included.
I disagreed with your other posts at first, but this is actually true. Forums are pretty much the same everywhere...

At least you posted their chat logs ^^

What's with Captcha being all sensible?: "field day"

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT

I... I don't... But...

WHY? HOW DID THEY THINK - AUGH

I've never been struck this speechless before. My brain is broken.