Ever Watched A TV Episode That Pissed You Off So Much You Quit Watching The Series?

TheNaut131

Jul 6, 2011
I don't think that's ever happened to me-The Following. At first I didn't think I had one, but goddammit the Following.

Okay, general plot. Serial Killer/former professor/writer with a thing for Edgar Allen Poe escapes jail. Cop who put him away called in to help. Killer get's put behind bars again. Turns out he has a number of disciples acting as murderers. Everything goes from there.

The first two eps were pretty interesting, but then things began to slowdown. And yet I still liked it. I have great suspension of disbelief. However, there were these tiny little things that started to piss me off and just made me give up.

For example, a cop is supposed to sweep the killer's wife's room before she goes in. He stepa into the room, looks a bit to the left, looks a bit to the right, and then goes "all clear." Fucking stupid right? He walks back into the hallway, where on the killers descends from ceiling and kills him. This pisses me off because the cop could've searched the room a bit more thoroughly and still have died. They didn't need to make him look THAT incompetent before his death.

Another thing is a scene involving a book critic being set on fire while getting a hotdog, from a hotdog stand. The guy setting him on fire is wearing an Edgar Allen Poe mask. He pours the critic in gasoline, lights him up, and...calmly and slowly walks away. No one tries to stop him. In fact, they actually start backing away and a few people are FUCKING RECORDING IT. I'm not too surprised about the recording thing, but no one tried to stop this guy or put out the critic! Not even the hotdog vendor who who has a FIRE EXTINGUISHER ON HIS CART! For fucks sake, if no one's gonna help the critic, at least have the killer run around a corner and have someone run after him, only to find a discarded mask. My suspension of disbelief could've worked with that!

And finally, black main characters death in the third episode. Was that necessary? Could you have at least had him live with bad injuries or something? His death wasn't instantaneous, he was on the floor, coughing up blood. In television and movie logic he at least would've had a change...if he was white. Yes, I am indeed going there.

Fuck this show and it's waste of Kevin Bacon.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
lemby117 said:
Eddie the head said:
Well not TV and, I was never much of a fan of the show but Extra Credits did some episode called "God Dose not play Dice." I was never much of a fan anyway, but way to kill any interest.
Really? What was your issue with the episode? I thought it was well done
They didn't admit to fault when they where clearly at fault, and made a pretentious video talking down to people for not "getting science." It wasn't a fucking scientific debate it was an English debate. Faith has a heavy religious connotation attached to the word. So to call Science faith is to say science is a region, and it's not.

The whole episode was basically just a big straw man. Science doesn't have faith because the denotation doesn't fit, no it fits fine. It doesn't require faith because the connotation doesn't fit.

Deathlyphil

Mar 6, 2008
Eddie the head said:
lemby117 said:
Eddie the head said:
Well not TV and, I was never much of a fan of the show but Extra Credits did some episode called "God Dose not play Dice." I was never much of a fan anyway, but way to kill any interest.
Really? What was your issue with the episode? I thought it was well done
They didn't admit to fault when they where clearly at fault, and made a pretentious video talking down to people for not "getting science." It wasn't a fucking scientific debate it was an English debate. Faith has a heavy religious connotation attached to the word. So to call Science faith is to say science is a region, and it's not.

The whole episode was basically just a big straw man. Science doesn't have faith because the denotation doesn't fit, no it fits fine. It doesn't require faith because the connotation doesn't fit.
It all depends on how you view it.

To keep it very short and simple, discoveries usually go alone the lines of see a problem, investigate a problem, find out what is happened. For example gravity.

"If I drop an item, I believe that it will fall to the ground." (Faith)
"I have dropped the item, and it has fallen to the ground." (Evidence)
"All items fall to the ground, and through observation we can explain this effect." (Explanation / outcome)

Faith is the starting point of science. Maybe faith IS the wrong word to use. Maybe it does have too much of a religious connection. But, it is accurate.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
Generally that's only happened when a character is killed off or leaves in some fashion. I have quit many a show over this.

Law and Order: Criminal Intent, Street Kings and Law and Order: SVU are the most recent examples.

I thought NCIS would get me going but I guess I wasn't attached to that one character as much as I figured.

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
Soviet Heavy said:
If so, what was the show in question, and what episode set you off on such an amount of anger that you stopped?

Today, I've stopped watching Star Wars: The Clone Wars. The episode this morning pissed me off to the point where I'm ready to bash my computer.

A jedi is framing Ahsoka for a string of bombings in the Jedi Temple, and the episode is heavily implying that the culprit is Barriss Offee. A pacifist Jedi healer. Who has her own series about her. All of this will be thrown out the window in favor of some bullshit excuse to kill off her character.
I basically stopped watching that when Darth Maul suddenly showed up...

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
South Park; the episode where Cartman goes after Osama bin Laden all "Bugs Bunny"-style complete with harem girl costume and fingers-in-shotguns n so on. I dunno .. it just .. it just broke the show for me. Don't get me wrong ... I still actually enjoy South Park ... but from that episode on I don't consider myself 'a fan'. I'm sure there was some reason Parker & Trey did the show in that style but it just grated on my nerves.

I stopped watching 'Touch' after episode 1. First one was really good - would have made a fantastic film rather than a pilot for a series. Halfway through the 2nd episode and I turned it off.

'Last Resort' just started in Australia and I'm hoping it doesn't crash and burn (so to speak). But I have a feeling it's going to get progressively worse until I turn off. At least it's only a few episodes (I guess?).

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
Vilealbaniandwarf said:
Bones.

The team are examining the remains of an iraqi war veteran, suddenly fox editorial crowbars its way in and the characters have a discussion about the rights and wrongs of the war which pretty much ends up espousing the view that if you disagreed with the war you should just shut up, then continued as if nothing had happened. Poor writing and blatent propaganda.
Personally, the thing that stopped me watching that is Bones' apparent hatred for psychology. It makes very little sense since she like to deconstruct people and examine them, referencing their stereotypes etc. But besides that, it's just annoying. Especially the times when the Psychologist proves his worth several times and she just berates him.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
uzo said:
South Park; the episode where Cartman goes after Osama bin Laden all "Bugs Bunny"-style complete with harem girl costume and fingers-in-shotguns n so on. I dunno .. it just .. it just broke the show for me. Don't get me wrong ... I still actually enjoy South Park ... but from that episode on I don't consider myself 'a fan'. I'm sure there was some reason Parker & Trey did the show in that style but it just grated on my nerves.
As a huge South Park fan, I have to agree with you. There are episodes that really do suck (most of them being in the newer seasons).

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
That Iron Man anime after the first two episodes-
Assuming that the anime itself is related to the first film (similar suit design and setting), the premise is that Tony Stark went to Japan to finalize the arc reactor built over there. It was also in Japan that he introduce the Iron Man Duo (or something like that) which was the first line of the mass production Iron Man suits and he intend to retire as Iron Man.
I felt that was competely out of character for Tony since in the first and second films, he is against his tech being used by someone else (except for Rody) let alone mass produce it!
The Marvel anime follow the comics, as far as I know. Unfortunately, The comic book version of Tony wouldn't do this, either.

mgirl

Mar 29, 2011
Doctor who. Until they get rid of that absolute cretin of a writer, Steven Moffat, who absolutely butchered the entire point of doctor who in the last series, I will not be watching it again. Shame, because he's done good episodes in the past, but when it comes to writing over arching storylines, and characters, especially female characters, he screws it up time and time again. I hope they get rid of him, I really do.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
tippy2k2 said:
The (very short lived) Dresden Files

In one of the episodes, Bianca was a vampire character and begged for help from Dresden.

Meanwhile, your favorite poster Tippy2k2 had just finished reading "Grave Peril" (terrible timing for the show...).

Now I'm not going to spoil anything but if you were a fan of the book series, you know what happens. In the TV Show...Bianca was a good guy. Nope. I'm out TV Show. I can accept a lot of changes to the series but that is one change that I will NOT accept and am appalled that they made such a drastic change.
Wait, that episode was like eight or ninth in the running order. How did you get that far in before you noticed a "drastic change?"

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
mgirl said:
Doctor who. Until they get rid of that absolute cretin of a writer, Steven Moffat, who absolutely butchered the entire point of doctor who in the last series, I will not be watching it again. Shame, because he's done good episodes in the past, but when it comes to writing over arching storylines, and characters, especially female characters, he screws it up time and time again. I hope they get rid of him, I really do.
I'd like to hear your thoughts on what "the point" of Doctor Who is.

And it seems to me you sat thruogh the Davies era of Doctor Who, so I don't know how you can talk about bad story arcs and bad female characters, considering we had four seasons of last-minute ass-pulls and Twilight: Breaking Doctor.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
KefkaCultist said:
Death Note
When they killed off L halfway through and tried replacing him with those two twats Near and Mello. I got a couple episodes past L's death and then skipped right ahead to the final episode just to see Kira die for what he did to my favorite character.
That is exactly how it should be watched and be glad you had the sense to do so. The series officially died at the point Ryuk says 'So things are gonna get pretty boring from here on out' and Lights says 'no'
The real answer is YES, oh good god yes and I hate Nier's guts for being such an insufferable little twerp.

My own answer is Bleach, a show so monumentally awful in every conceivable facet yet so confusingly regaled by many I slogged through 70 episodes of dross to see if it gets better later because I needed an explanation as to why so many people adore it. The moment I concluded its popularity stems from idiocy was a later episode when magic vampires show up and get trashed by some boring lady. After it is all done there is no attempt made to explain the actions and motivations of the various villains involved and this whole debacle is consequentially deprived as it is entirely removed from the main plot. The only action the protagonists ever take in any situation is direct assault and they never attempt to concoct a strategy or think about anything. That I am expected to support or even relate to a bunch of block headed nutters like that is baffling. I almost left much earlier when teddy bears and handbags started coming to life as cute s**t.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
tippy2k2 said:
The (very short lived) Dresden Files

In one of the episodes, Bianca was a vampire character and begged for help from Dresden.

Meanwhile, your favorite poster Tippy2k2 had just finished reading "Grave Peril" (terrible timing for the show...).

Now I'm not going to spoil anything but if you were a fan of the book series, you know what happens. In the TV Show...Bianca was a good guy. Nope. I'm out TV Show. I can accept a lot of changes to the series but that is one change that I will NOT accept and am appalled that they made such a drastic change.
Wait, that episode was like eight or ninth in the running order. How did you get that far in before you noticed a "drastic change?"
That was episode "Bad Blood" (episode 5). Honestly, a lot of the changes I understood due to TV being different from books (Bob being the most obvious example). However, that was not a change I could handle considering...

For those that don't remember, in book 3, Bianca turned Susan (Dresden's love interest) into a half-vampire thingy. Changing Bianca from one of my most hated enemies to a good guy bugged the shit out of me.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Playful Pony said:
Soviet Heavy said:
If so, what was the show in question, and what episode set you off on such an amount of anger that you stopped?

Today, I've stopped watching Star Wars: The Clone Wars. The episode this morning pissed me off to the point where I'm ready to bash my computer.

A jedi is framing Ahsoka for a string of bombings in the Jedi Temple, and the episode is heavily implying that the culprit is Barriss Offee. A pacifist Jedi healer. Who has her own series about her. All of this will be thrown out the window in favor of some bullshit excuse to kill off her character.
I basically stopped watching that when Darth Maul suddenly showed up...
Although his first few episodes had been unwatchable (Spider Gollum Maul bullshit), they managed to do something interesting with his return by tying him into the Mandalorian plot, which had been floundering since season 3. The finale where Sidious murders Savage and beats Maul to a pulp was excellent.

But for god's sake, why turn Barriss into a terrorist bomber intent on framing her best friend for the atrocities!?

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Deathlyphil said:
[
It all depends on how you view it.

To keep it very short and simple, discoveries usually go alone the lines of see a problem, investigate a problem, find out what is happened. For example gravity.

"If I drop an item, I believe that it will fall to the ground." (Faith)
"I have dropped the item, and it has fallen to the ground." (Evidence)
"All items fall to the ground, and through observation we can explain this effect." (Explanation / outcome)

Faith is the starting point of science. Maybe faith IS the wrong word to use. Maybe it does have too much of a religious connection. But, it is accurate.
If only I had said that. Like maybe I should have said this "Science doesn't have faith because the denotation doesn't fit, no it fits fine. It doesn't require faith because the connotation doesn't fit." Oh yeah I did. So I will say it again; the denotation fits, the connotation doesn't.

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
I had a couple of random answers, but I think the only one I can say with absolute certainty was Glee. I got about halfway through season 1 and realized that they had an ensemble cast and wasn't planning on using most of it for character development unless they could be tied into the two love triangles going around. Blech.
Zachary Amaranth said:
mgirl said:
I'd like to hear your thoughts on what "the point" of Doctor Who is.

And it seems to me you sat thruogh the Davies era of Doctor Who, so I don't know how you can talk about bad story arcs and bad female characters, considering we had four seasons of last-minute ass-pulls and Twilight: Breaking Doctor.
Kinda have to agree with Zachary on this one. I don't necessarily approve of everything Moffat does with Doctor Who, but it is still a substantially better show most of the time than it was under Davies' control.

Invictusblade

Sep 13, 2012
the first season of 24 when jack bauer's wife gets amnesia but the real problem is the timing of events that makes the show extremely annoying

Black Reaper

Aug 19, 2011
debtcollector said:
Also, second season of Sword Art Online. I could have handled it if they had just used different characters, but nope! The strong female protagonist is reduced to a princess in a cage, the main character who went through hell to escape his virtual prison happily dives into another one, and the villain is some pervert who wants to marry a comatose girl and also calls himself the "King of the Fairies" in his spare time. What went wrong?!
If you thought that was bad,you should(not) have seen what came afterwards
basically Kirito's sister falls in love with him,and gets angry at him because he already loves another woman or some shit,i don't know,i wasn't paying attention,also at the end the fairy king guy rips off Asuna's top,how the fuck was that necessary?,i can't describe it very well,but believe me,it gets worse
And if him jumping at another virtual prison was bad,apparently in the novels he jumps into two more

As for me,most series i stop watching aren't memorable enough to mention them here,but i remember the first 30 seconds of the Chaos Head anime turned me off from the rest of it,the opening(as in,the first 30 seconds of animation,not the musical intro) was worse than the vn version WHICH I COULDN'T UNDERSTAND