Ever Watched A TV Episode That Pissed You Off So Much You Quit Watching The Series?

Childe

Jun 20, 2012
The episode wan't the problem per say but Avatar: lengend of Korra. I couldn't watch past the 3rd or fourth episode.. the evil dude just pissed me off to no end

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Soviet Heavy said:
If so, what was the show in question, and what episode set you off on such an amount of anger that you stopped?

Today, I've stopped watching Star Wars: The Clone Wars. The episode this morning pissed me off to the point where I'm ready to bash my computer.

A jedi is framing Ahsoka for a string of bombings in the Jedi Temple, and the episode is heavily implying that the culprit is Barriss Offee. A pacifist Jedi healer. Who has her own series about her. All of this will be thrown out the window in favor of some bullshit excuse to kill off her character.
You sure about that? Have they gone out into the open and said it? Because in my experience if a show heavily implies that someone is a culprit, it's really just a Red Herring (See Assassin's Creed Brotherhood). Also I'm not a sure Star Wars fan, but I'm pretty sure she doesn't get killed until Order 66.

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
Futurama

namely the episode when they traveled so far into the future that the time ended and a new universe started. it wasn't the same universe. the other characters weren't the same people. the original Leela had died alone and miserable billions of years ago. and no one seems to acknowledge that fact.
i may be reading too much into it but I couldn't get past that knowledge.

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
Criminal Minds. My very first problem was Mandy Patinkin leaving, as I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally liked his character. Next was the bull crap about Prentiss being dead but really not dead and then coming back and then immediately leaving the show. Then I watched the first episode of season 8 and decided I'd had enough.

Descartes2012

Apr 19, 2011
kortin said:
The Pilot for Breaking Bad.

Holy shit, I've seen a lot of bad pilots in my time, but that one takes the cake. I could not make myself watch any more of that bile.
What did you not like about it, if I may ask? I'm a pretty big fan of the show, but I do always like to hear the views of those that disagree with me.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
I tried watching this anime called Revolutionary Girl Utena over a year ago and it was so ridiculous... Some girl in school talks to this girl, gets challenged to a duel, shows up at this forest, and sees a winding staircase that seems to go up forever, runs up the stairs to this platform, where some guy duels her.

First episode.

Not once does she question anything.

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyy. I couldn't watch anymore. I did start the second episode but it was too much.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Descartes2012 said:
kortin said:
The Pilot for Breaking Bad.

Holy shit, I've seen a lot of bad pilots in my time, but that one takes the cake. I could not make myself watch any more of that bile.
What did you not like about it, if I may ask? I'm a pretty big fan of the show, but I do always like to hear the views of those that disagree with me.
As a big fan of the show, it probably had something to do with too much nearly naked and flabby Walter White.

Superlative

May 14, 2012
Arcana Famiglia. I never got past ep 1 and have no desire to try.

The main character is a girl who looks to be about 14 years old. Her douche-nozzle of a father decied he need to find his Tsundere tomboy of a daughter a man by hosting a tournament where her hand in marrage is the prize. When she objects he offers her a change to fight him, which she looses pretty hard. the rest of the episode consisted of characters, most of whom were grown-ass men, thinking of how awesome it would be to marry, and therefore bang, this 14 year old looking girl. Yes the girl herself was allowed to compete for the right to marry no one and two of the male characters were set up as 'good guys' who said they would give her an option if they won but it still doesn't detract from the creepiness of it all.

Now I've put up with some creepy stuff in anime before (like the over-sexualization of Kirito's middle school aged little sister), but something about the combination of creepiness and misogyny in Arcana Famiglia was pretty close to revolting. And this is coming from a 23 year old single anime fan, their target audience.

Also, My Little Pony.

My best friend IRL is a huge brony so I tried the first three eps and a fourth musical one of his suggestion (something about wrapping up winter). While i see where someone could get into the show very easily, to me it reeked of fairly good Saturday morning kid's show. If i were in the 6th grade it might have been up my alley but now it just feels childish and simple. If i want moral teachings i can get some Kant, St. Aquinas, or one of the millions of other philosophers and theologians who taught past the 3rd grade level. The show just can't live up to the hype imo.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
erttheking said:
Soviet Heavy said:
If so, what was the show in question, and what episode set you off on such an amount of anger that you stopped?

Today, I've stopped watching Star Wars: The Clone Wars. The episode this morning pissed me off to the point where I'm ready to bash my computer.

A jedi is framing Ahsoka for a string of bombings in the Jedi Temple, and the episode is heavily implying that the culprit is Barriss Offee. A pacifist Jedi healer. Who has her own series about her. All of this will be thrown out the window in favor of some bullshit excuse to kill off her character.
You sure about that? Have they gone out into the open and said it? Because in my experience if a show heavily implies that someone is a culprit, it's really just a Red Herring (See Assassin's Creed Brotherhood). Also I'm not a sure Star Wars fan, but I'm pretty sure she doesn't get killed until Order 66.
http://starwars.com/explore/the-clone-wars/ep519/#!/media/commentary

Filoni all but confirms it, and a leaked image of next weeks episode seals the deal.

Barriss's new non hooded character model was showcased these past two episodes, and there she is fighting Anakin.

Trashing continuity is nothing new for The Clone Wars, but character assassination is probably even worse in the long run. Since we never see Barriss get killed in the movies, obviously the only solution is to kill her off in the TCW cartoon. Never mind that tie in material for Revenge of the Sith already showed her being killed.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
verdant monkai said:
Game of thrones: the one where Sean Bean dies. I was only there for Sean Bean when I saw his head on a spike I new it was time to leave.
Dude, it's Sean Bean. He has never survived to the end of anything he has been in.

The shows I quit; Scrubs and Bones. Scrubs sometime during season 3 (when J.D was starting his transformation from intelligent young doctor to effeminate man-child). As for Bones, a few episodes in to series 4 where everyone was obvious about their Mary Sue t-shirts.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Soviet Heavy said:
erttheking said:
Soviet Heavy said:

Filoni all but confirms it, and a leaked image of next weeks episode seals the deal.

Barriss's new non hooded character model was showcased these past two episodes, and there she is fighting Anakin.

Trashing continuity is nothing new for The Clone Wars, but character assassination is probably even worse in the long run. Since we never see Barriss get killed in the movies, obviously the only solution is to kill her off in the TCW cartoon. Never mind that tie in material for Revenge of the Sith already showed her being killed.
I have no idea what that image is supposed to be, but it looks a little too narrow to be anything humanoid like Bariss. And dual curved red lightsabers? Wasn't that Ventress' calling card? Though to be fair I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, so maybe I should keep my mouth shut.

I'm just saying, you should at the very least check in to make sure that you weren't mistaken.

Gormech

May 10, 2012
NCIS
The one where one suspect gets labelled "The holder of the highest score in every MMO." with absolutely no joking manner or anything.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
I don't remember precisely when this came on, but I'm pretty sure it was late in the 2nd season of Merlin where we finally find out why Uther went all crazy about magic.

Just a bit of background for this version of things, following the death of his wife, for which he blames magic, Uther Pendragon has developed such a violent hatred of all magic, in all its forms, that he has purged it completely from Camelot, this includes children whom he had killed by drowning. This is the episode where we hear the full version of things.
In this episode it is revealed that, desperate for an heir, Uther went to his witch friend Nimway (Spelling?) so she could help him with her magic. The rules of magic state that one cannot just create life, there has to be a balance, so someone will die if she does this. Despite the warning Uther has her go through with it, and low and behold, his wife dies exactly how Nimway told him, point blank, that she would. Instead of take responsibility for his own actions, Uther insists that Nimway TRICKED him, and enacted his Magical Genocide (Which I will remind you, including drowning small children).
To make things EVEN WORSE, for his entire life Uther has lied to his son Arthur about everything and when Arthur finds out about it, he naturally confronts Uther about it. I could stand Uther's almost completely loathsome character before this cause I was confident that when this moment came in the series they'd do something to either redeem him or kill him. WRONG! Not only does Uther continue lying about these events, the show bends itself over backwards to find a reason why no one can kill the evil bastard over this. I was so god damn pissed off I could not bring myself to watch anymore.

Timzilla

Mar 26, 2010
BX3 said:
Ed, Edd n' Eddy ("Jeez, EVERYONE in this show is a HUGE asshole.")
In its defense, (and Im not sure this is intentional, but this is how I chose the rationalize it) they're kids. And in the words of Donald Glover, kids are like "tiny little Hitlers".(that is to say they're horrible.)

OP: My answer doesn't really count, since I eventually went back and finished the the whole series, but there was one point in the middle of the second season of Code Geass that really took the wind out of my sails for some reason:

So, at one point in the middle of the second season, C.C looses her memory of after she gained her powers. Since she was born in mid-evil times (I assume, its never overtly stated when she was born.) she goes back to being a scared, frail, shy slave girl. A huge contrast to how she acts in the rest of the series;cool, calculating, level headed. Leading up to this in the episode before. Shirley dies a needless death at the hands of another charater that I didn't really like all that much.
Just all of this happening at once seemed really cruel and unfair. This was an ongoing problem that I had with Code Geass. Just when everything seems to be going right, something has to happen to screw it up. It just seems so unfair at times its hard to stick with. To be fair, I did, but I had a lot more times where I had to stop watching for a while before and after the one mentioned above.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Deathlyphil said:
"If I drop an item, I believe that it will fall to the ground." (Faith)
"I have dropped the item, and it has fallen to the ground." (Evidence)
"All items fall to the ground, and through observation we can explain this effect." (Explanation / outcome)

Faith is the starting point of science. Maybe faith IS the wrong word to use. Maybe it does have too much of a religious connection. But, it is accurate.
Science, good science, NEVER EVER EVER works this way EVER because what youve done there is START with a guessed conclusion. YOU NEVER DO THAT because it introduces bais. Having worked in a genetics research lab heres what we did.

"What happens when we drop things? We do not know. A thing will be dropped" (Question)
"I have dropped the item, and it has fallen to the ground." (Evidence)
"All items fall to the ground, and through observation we can explain this effect." (Explanation / outcome)

You never start with a conclusion. You start with a question or a null hypothesis which is

"There is, so far, no reason to believe there is a relationship between X and Y".

Then you seek to DISPROVE it by doing tests with X and Y and seeing what happens. What you never do is

"X affects Y lets try and prove it"

because you often end up twisting evidence to prove your started assumption. Which is why we dont do it ever.

Setting out with a conclusion and trying to gather evidence is wrong. What you do is OBSERVE evidence and DRAW the conclusion. They screwed it up massively. Obvious that they didnt do a lot of research into what happens inside actual labs.

Anyway im gonna agree with jake the dad because the pups really needed more presence in the series. I did keep watching though. Also soul eater when i had to watch an entire episode of black star. I hate him so much. And Naruto with the exam episodes. It gets a prize for "Least happening per hour". I mean jesus everything drags for 10 years after that episode i was done.

mgirl

Mar 29, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
I'd like to hear your thoughts on what "the point" of Doctor Who is.

And it seems to me you sat thruogh the Davies era of Doctor Who, so I don't know how you can talk about bad story arcs and bad female characters, considering we had four seasons of last-minute ass-pulls and Twilight: Breaking Doctor.
Chill out dude, it's only an opinion. I personally don't like the new doctor who, thats it.

The latest series' have been very americanised, abandoned established character traits with both the doctor and river song, and has generally been poor. That, in my mind, is contradicting 'the point' of doctor who. So the opposite of what I just said is what I want.

I was considerably less mature during the previous 'era' of doctor who, so maybe I just didnt notice. And if you've seen any of Moffats other stuff, he is god awful at writing female characters.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
erttheking said:
Soviet Heavy said:
erttheking said:
Soviet Heavy said:

I have no idea what that image is supposed to be, but it looks a little too narrow to be anything humanoid like Bariss. And dual curved red lightsabers? Wasn't that Ventress' calling card? Though to be fair I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, so maybe I should keep my mouth shut.

I'm just saying, you should at the very least check in to make sure that you weren't mistaken.
In yesterday's episode, Ventress was attacked by a hooded female force user, who stole her twin red sabers and her bounty hunter mask to attack Ahsoka. She is the same height, build and clothing as Barriss, and with Filoni's wording regarding "accepting who it is" (and the fact that the only other Female Jedi we've seen all have wonky looking heads) makes it very clear that Barriss is the culprit.

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
I couldn't make it through a single episode of Dr. Who (newest reboot). I dated a girl who convinced me to give it another try, and yet again, I was bored out of my mind.

Echopunk

Jul 6, 2011
I enjoyed Family Guy for years, even though it returned as a shadow of its former self. The last straw was an episode where Peter was starring in a children's show or something, and remarked something along the lines of "I'm a big star, I could sleep with any three year old I want."

It isn't that much of a departure from a lot of the other shock humor the show has employed, but it was enough to make me turn the episode off and never look back.