Explain your usernames

Fimbulvetr3822

A line, held
May 8, 2012
Fimbulvetr: The harsh winter that precedes the end of the world and puts an end to all life on Earth. Thats not why I chose it though, it was the name of one of the high level Anima magics from Fire Emblem. Every main character, username and profile uses the same name.

3822 - From MOD(Ministry of Defence) Form 382/2, my least favourite of British government documents and used whenever the "Fimbulvetr" username is already taken.

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
Favourite book.

It also summarises my penchant for picking holes in things far more effectively than finding solutions, as in:
Me: "There's just one catch with that idea..."
Other: "What should be done instead?"
Me: "... . Not a clue"

And it also means that you can't googlesearch my username and easily find me elsewhere because the results are massively swamped by Catch-22 references and analyses. Not that I have a problem with people knowing who I am and where I post, but I'd rather be asked!

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
Because fuck donkeys!!!!!!!! They killed my father and kidnapped my sister. Ever since that fateful day I have sworn to destroy all donkey kind and make them pay for their transgressions.

Or it was something that popped up in a random name generator when my usual username was taken. I liked it and just started using it for most things.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
I like cars a great deal. Originally I would use Psycarpathic, but the spelling bugged me, so I went for Carpathic instead. I am not sure why I love it so much, but I do. I occasionally use fiddwilhead as well.

Rooster893

Mwee bwee bwee.
Feb 4, 2009
The "Rooster" is from the name my father gave me as a nickname. It's derived from a story David Sedaris wrote about his brother when he used to stroll around like a boss and he called himself the Rooster.

The 893 is from Drebin, one of my favorite characters from one of my all time favorite games.

Psycomantis777

Apr 24, 2012
I'm a skinny Russian bald man with facial scars and a thing for leather and masks...
In truth, I simply like psycho mantis and use it for everything, so it's easy to remember.
Even bought a figure of him off a bloke on a boat for seven quid about a month back... What fun...

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
I once dreamt I was killed in a car crash and had my arm ripped off. A doctor from some evil organisation revived me and gave me a metal arm that had could unfold scaly metal armor over my entire body, making me look slightly feline. Also, I became a super villain henchperson.

When I woke up, I thought the character was very cool indeed and it took me about 15 minutes to give her a supervillain name.

I may or may not have watched my entire collection of James Cameron films before going to bed.

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
I've been using lunavixen (and various iterations of it) on numerous websites for years, it's easier to keep track of similar usernames than have all sorts of usernames. I can't actually remember why I came up with it in the first place.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Z - The first letter of my first name, Zach.

of the Na'vi - Back when I joined the Escapist in, I was really into that James Cameron movie Avatar. Long story short, I thought it rolled off the tongue quite nicely and it has been my username here ever since. Although, I've been told by Redlin5 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Redlin5] that people also pronoucne the letter "Z" (I pronounce it "zee") as "zed."

I apologize for confusing my brethren across the pond. Still, it's a hell of a lot better than my original Escapist username: Rocketpocket.

[sub]I was a dumb teenager.[/sub]

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
I first used Sonic Doctor as my Xbox Live gamertag. When I created it, I wanted to make something that related to my love of Doctor Who, but sounded cool and wasn't a direct name choice, like Doctor Who, Tardis, or Time Lord, because I figured that those were taken and it would end up in a stupid number list next or around the name. Seriously, I can't stand gamertags that are some common word or phrase or popular thing with bunches of random numbers or X's. I wanted a clean gamertag and user name.

With that I made "Sonic" the first word to represent the sonic screwdriver and "Doctor" to of course represent the Doctor.

Though only on a few occasions has other players actually asked me if I liked Doctor Who and if that is what my gamertag was about.
I more frequently get asked if I'm a medical doctor, or if I'm a Sonic the Hedgehog fan.

When I finally made an account here, I just decided it would be easy just to use the same name here, plus I really do like it.

JimB said:
My given name is James. The first letter of my family name is B.

It is a rich tapestry of symbolism and literary references.
I for one would ask if that B in your last name is for Beam, and if you like making Kentucky bourbon whiskey. =P

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Of the Twelve Lords, which took the dominion of all Time from Mother Nature, and are deeply locked in battle with the Four Princes of The Seasons, the December King is the most canny, the most difficult to understand, a distant entity forever removed from his young love, the Paige of January, by time and by decree.

His cold hate, his chilling acceptance of the way all things are, shapes his reign and rule, and in the past his reign marked the passing of the unfit, the ill- prepared, the lost and the ancient.

I dunno, the name sounded cool.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
My nickname back when I was a young teenager was NegerDanne, which translates to Negro Daniel(Danne is a common slang for Daniel). Decided I wanted something less offensive and stupid when I was older so I went with DanielBrown.
Often wish I had something more original though. It's taken as a username on almost every site. Got lucky here.

b3nn3tt

May 11, 2010
My username is my surname with the vowels replaced with numbers. Because I'm just so l33t. No, when I was younger, it was mildly cool for a period to spell things like that, and I'm fairly unimaginative when it comes to usernames to start with, so that was the only thing that came to mind. If ever I think of something better I may change it, but until then it shall remain.

Generalissimo

Your Commander-in-Chief
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
UK
because i signed up via facebook and it chose my name as my username. most annoying 'cause i can't bloody change it!

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I'm just a fan of Don Van Vliet. Sometimes it is this, sometimes it is neon_meate, because neon meate dreams of an octafish...

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
The knack: I lack it.

Actually, it's a line lifted from an Archie comic I was reading when I signed up to some website or other, and I held onto the username.

rookie411

Aug 31, 2010
Well the rookie part I use on a lot of places but originally I nicked it from my older brother :p The 411 part was just because rookie is always taken and it's from the phrase "Gimme the 4-1-1". Rookie is also part of my Xbox liev gam,ertag but for some reason little american kids always say it as "Rocky", why?

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Mine's just something I came up with to use in place of my real name on Miniclip. I think the reason I came up with it is because I had recently seen the animated Sinbad movie.