Extra Credits Takes a Stab at the Mass Effect 3 issues

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Berenzen said:
It doesn't absolve it from criticism. People are free to talk, *****, converse etc. on the ending as much as they like, nobody should be saying that you can't. However, people deciding that the company must change it to meet the consumer's need is the main point of contention. They can listen, but they don't have to do anything about it, it's not the consumer's call to make, it's Bioware's.
Which in no way changes based on whether or not people are demanding it.

longboardfan

Jul 27, 2011
haha, oh wow. Oh EC, you suck. Hey artistic hacks, guess what. This is a game, a product one buys and spends money on. Even if it were art, the incomplete nature of the game's ending makes it an incomplete product (art or otherwise). Its not my job to finish "writing" the story, when I paid for a complete product. There's a difference between a cliffhanger and an incomplete story. A cliffhanger episode is part of a complete story, and leaves off with the expectation that there will be a part 2 next time. An incomplete story simply fails to resolve the primary conflicts. Stop sucking on Kubrick's wang and get over yourself. 2001 was not a good movie, stop trying to force that on us. 2010 had a story and was a better movie for it. Notice how the rest of the games have a story, and the ending completely ignores it. I could have been about anything, but instead we got an ending that wasn't about anything at all. Its a sudden screeching halt to what had been a story.

Its not my job as the viewer/reader to finish the job. This isn't TV or an art gallery. This isn't furniture, there's no "some assembly required" sign on the game case. This is something I bought, and expected to be complete upon purchase.

This game was a "choose your own adventure book" that only has one ending page.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Aircross said:
I respect what Bioware has done, and I hope they don't cave in to the massive amount of whining.

Sure, I am disappointed in how they didn't uphold everything they said they would, but the best thing I can do is to express my disappointment and not purchase their products until they shape up.

Leave the past as it is and focus on the future, bringing back the Bioware we once knew.
Seriously don't hold your breath ... EA doesn't know how to shape up. They only know how to exist in perpetual freefall. The Bioware you knew died when those aquisition papers were signed and the lead designers left.

217not237

Nov 9, 2011
Alright, I think I should weigh in on the situation.

To the people who want to change the ending: Don't you think that, if you liked the series to this point, one 10 minute scene that you don't like is fine? Sure, it's the end, but isn't it more about the road you take than the destination? I remember Virmire, loyalty missions, and all those great scenes throughout the series WAY more than I remember the ending of each game. Nothing can be perfect, and, rather than asking for this game's ending to change, why not suggest that BioWare not make this type of ending in the future?

To the people who hate the people who want the ending changed: Don't you think that they, as consumers, have the right to criticize? While it could be done in better ways, isn't it better to ask to improve flaws than to say something is perfect? I personally believe that's the only way to reach perfection. While you may not agree, I still think you should try to see from everyone's perspective.

To the people who hate team B: Don't you think that the way you tell them off is a bit wrong? Shouldn't you instead express your own ideas, rather than try to call them "pretentious?" They believe in "art" in a different way than you, and "art" is something with no true meaning. Some view it one way, others another. "Art" is entirely based on opinion, and, while I'm not saying your opinion is wrong, I AM saying you should express it differently.

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
Holy shit there's a lot of anger and bitterness in this thread. It's perilously close to name calling, that's how immature some of this is.

Anyway, interesting stance on it. I didn't like the ending, not one jot. I don't have the motivation to power through Insanity difficulty because I know that it's waiting for me.

However, I'm not sure if I want it changed. Yes, it seems rushed (and probably was), it answered nothing and made more questions, and didn't make my choices seem to matter, but I'm not sure changing it completely would be the answer.

The indoctrination theory seems the most plausible way of sorting this out, as they can simply declare the Star Child to be fluff and give people a more concrete ending. However, if it is true, good luck to Bioware in not making themselves look like greedy bastards who planned to sell the ending from the start (or EA, depending on who your personally blame.)

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
BloatedGuppy said:
Starke said:
As a parody it could have actually been pretty funny. The problem was that it was pretty apparent that the video that this was him pouring his heart out.

The problem is, you can't really "pour your heart out" with complete strangers because they just don't care about your well being. (Not you personally, "you" as an indefinite.) And the end result blows so many social cues you basically destroy your credibility.
It's not even that I don't care about his well being. It's that, going by that story, his well being was never really in jeopardy. He liked some games, some pretty low impact shit happened, and now he's fine. The end! Given the emotionally heady tone he adopted I was anticipating stories of smashed relationships and alienated kids and lost jobs and a once promising life derailed. It was an utter non event, and he completely misjudged the impact of it. It's like trying to describe a dream to a friend. For you, it's fraught with emotion and subtext and meaning. For the friend, it's a bizarre little anecdote that is utterly meaningless and doesn't apply to them in any way.
...unless of course they mention that it included gay sex with you, in which case it goes from utterly meaningless to freakin' weird... (I actually had a slightly more psychologically friend do exactly that, once.)

But, yeah, well said.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Fawxy said:

No but seriously, why's there so much butthurt in this thread?

Another question: how does Mass Effect 3 being "art" absolve it from criticism? Anyone care to explain this?
I seriously cannot, I think I know why but my literary skills are lacking to the point of butchering any attempt to textually convey my inner thoughts so and thus I will not even try as I run the risk of having half a dozen replies scolding or praising my inaccurate statement. Neither of which are remotely desired by me.

EDIT: One thing I can add is that we are by nature designed to argue, even when proven wrong and even when we actually self acknowledge it we will not cave to keep face. In the end just back and forth bickering.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
I haven't even played any of the Mass Effect games and I already knew the stance Dan was going to take based on how he always reacts to gamer rage. Does that make any sense?

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Eh, I can't say I agree with their take on "artistic integrity" in this case as, from a narrative perspective the ending's a veritable trainwreck and as I see it an unwillingness to either point out or fix flaws in one's craft should be anathema to an artist. That said, I can respect EC's position as well argued and researched.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
I'm tired of talking about ME3, but the worst part of what they said was "the first two games didn't have different endings so this one doesn't need them." The problem with that(besides that BioWare SAID IT WOULD) is that the first two games didn't end so much as they had a stopping point. The story is a TRILOGY. It wasn't really an ending until ME3. The first 2 games had to set up the next one, they COULDN'T end drastically differently! No such restrictions on ME3.

Hammartroll

Mar 10, 2011
I don't understand the concept of people having to accept it just because it's art when they are making people pay a price for it. At that point it becomes a buisness and buisness is all about supply and demand. No matter what a beutiful peice of art someone thinks it is, it needs to appease it's audiance or they're not going to have a profit.

I understand if people want to call it art, but there's also a buisness side to it and you can't make a piece of shit, call it art, and expect people to buy it... no matter how many journalists and reviewers decide to look down upon you.

Not-for-profit games are what I would call art; designed not for profit but to convey and idea. When you put a price on it, it becomes a buisness and must adhere to the rules of one. Bioware is a buisness and should act like one.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
I'm surprised he didn't support the idea of a kick-starter page to get a new ending made. Then once they had enough money, and keep the extra.

Halo Fanboy

Nov 2, 2008
Limecake said:
Maybe I am missing something, I just find it ironic people can claim "It doesn't matter if games are considered art or not" When they are talking about the most story driven game I've ever played.

This whole uproar is based around the story of the game. The emotional investment you have towards the Mass Effect universe only exists because the people making the game consider it art.

you don't have to be an 'artsy' guy and you don't have to care. But I can see a huge step up from games with almost no artistic value (like space invaders) to modern games like Bastion and Limbo.
Blah I find this argument completely noxious to actual intelligent discussion. "You have to care about games being considered art because otherwise games would never improve." It's the exactly same narrative extra credits always uses on their numerous attempts to impress on people that "games being art is super important."

First off, not only are the terms nebulous buzzwords, nobody can even prove anyone who worked on a game actually had a care for games being art/ artistic integrity/ artistic direction. How can we attribute any let alone all progress to "people caring about art" when this invisible phantasm notion can't even be shown to be relevant to whatever game you're discussing.

And more importantly this "our games are art" shit only comes indies and the numerous "story-driven" pseudo cinematic video game hybrids that are littering the high budget game industry. The sentiment is absent in developers of Multi-player FPS, RTS, TBS, Simulation, racing, sports, gun shooting, fighter, STG, rythym, MUD, MMOs, rougelikes and numerous other genres. It's all for the best considering the games that are considered the "pinnacle of art" are mostly deprived of complex mechanical design or good multi-player.

Velocirapture07

Jan 19, 2009
Sutter Cane said:
endtherapture said:
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
I desperately hope Bioware doesn't overwrite what they've done. Not because I think it's perfect (I don't), but because they made an artistic choice.
No, fuck this, im done. Im never reading anything remotely related to EC again. I knew it was coming, I read it anyway, fuck this, fuck EC, fuck everything.

*Leaves tossing over random objects and kicking doors*

(Seriously though, I disagree. I knew EC would role out the pretentious artistic vision shit.)
Games critics defending "artistic integrity" blah blah blah is getting so fucking old.
Yeah, how DARE game critics want to treat games as a true art form? Shame on them for trying to treat the medium with a little bit of respect.
As a gamer myself I have to say that video games right now don't deserve that respec
Thoric485 said:
Wow, i even read his posts in that annoying voice he uses in his videos.

Anyway, it's kind of funny that people are so outraged at the fans compromising BioWare's creative vision, but don't say a peep about EA's influence on the company. So BioWare are perfectly fine with having a 2 year development cycle, cutting up their games for DLC and inserting idiotic cameos, but this is what crosses the line?

EA are the frontmen of the games as a service idea, cutting corners for profit is their goddamn company policy. The work BioWare produce under them is not art, calling it art is an insult to every developer that invests genuine love and craftsmanship into their games.
Thank you. No really, thank you for seeing this for what it is. This isn't some poor up and coming movie director living next door, or the quintessential starving artist you see on the street corner. Why can people not see this. Video games in the current climate are on a whole different plane than movies, paintings, etc. It's an environment predominantly built upon making as much money for as little effort and in as little time as possible... I don't understand how anyone can miss this. It surprises me that so many of these "artistic integrity" advocates are willing to stand up for the slimy likes of EA.

News flash for you guys, EA and by extension Bioware (I really feel bad for what's happened to them) don't give a syphilitic rat's ass about art. Neither I would assume does Jessica Slutbot or Freddie D-bag jr. Oh, but they will take that money you have in your pocket there...

oh....you wanted what you actually thought you paid for? I see you have some more money in your pocket there....we'll take that for the DLC.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
SaneAmongInsane said:
I'm surprised he didn't support the idea of a kick-starter page to get a new ending made. Then once they had enough money, and keep the extra.
They also offered to refund anyone who gave it to them, outlined a specific plan for it related to their purview and, most importantly, didn't tell people to give over the requested amount in the first fucking place. So yeah, full story.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
DrVornoff said:
longboardfan said:
Hey artistic hacks, guess what. This is a game, a product one buys and spends money on.

Stop sucking on Kubrick's wang and get over yourself. 2001 was not a good movie, stop trying to force that on us.
See, when I'm talking about people being anti-intellectual and immature, this is the sort of thing I'm referring to. How is this guy helping anyone?
Well, to be fari Kubrick's movies seem to be alwasy shitty as adaptations of the source material. 2001 was a great film, but if you read the book start to wonder if Kubrick ever did.

longboardfan

Jul 27, 2011
DrVornoff said:
longboardfan said:
Hey artistic hacks, guess what. This is a game, a product one buys and spends money on.

Stop sucking on Kubrick's wang and get over yourself. 2001 was not a good movie, stop trying to force that on us.
See, when I'm talking about people being anti-intellectual and immature, this is the sort of thing I'm referring to. How is this guy helping anyone?
hahaha, oh wow congrats for ignoring the entire rest of my post. Oh noes! I dare to mock the famous Stanley Kubrick. How dare I! I'm not helping you, I'm helping ME! I want to help me by venting online. I'm being anti-intellectual? How full of crap you are. You're implying that the artistic hacks claiming that the ending is perfect, that we're "just too stupid" to understand the brilliance, are some how better then the rest of us. Oh really, well here's a clue. I paid money for a finished product. I didn't get one.