Extra Punctuation: BAFTAs Are Bollocks

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Nomanslander said:
Just Cause 2, Dead Rising 2 and Amnesia: The Dark Descent didn't score a single nomination....

-Yahtzee

Poor Yahtzee, finally realizing maybe his tastes aren't as refined as he thinks it is...=*(
Don't be ridiculous, the BAFTAs are no where near any indication of what is good and what's bad in gaming, because it's still run by men in stuffy suits who just go for the public concious goes for. You should almost NEVER agree with mainstream awards ceremonies when it comes to video games.

This is an an awards ceremony where Black Ops can be nominated for best story alongside Mario Galaxy being putup for "Technical Innovation", as well as Fifa 11 for "Best Game", then there is no reason to stand up for or believe in anything the BAFTAs pick as far as video games. Based on that past sentence alone should prove that the Video Games awards in mainstream awards ceremonies are utter bollocks.

To say liking stuff like Amnesia means you have poor taste just means you're a moron, amnesia was sublime game, very immersive and "fun" to play all the way through.

Mainstream awards ceremonies are never going to be good unless you get people who properly care for the medium, even if you don't like Yahtzee at all, to say he doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to video games would be pushing it at best and utterly stupid at worst.

The awards ceremonies need people actually qualified to look at games properly to make them work, not the boardroom executive or the average mouth breather chav.

ZeroDotZero

Sep 18, 2009
BarbaricGoose said:
Heavy Rain had plot holes? This is news to me.
Why do you keep waking up in the rain with origami figures? WHY? WHYYYY????

I was mainly disgusted with the general lack of Starcraft 2 nominations. I guess it must have simply slipped their minds.

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
i always think that these awards always fail. the game that got nominated don't derserve that and the game that wins, doesn't deserve it either. ok, sometimes i can see the piont why a certain game is nominated, but black ops for story? what were they thinking?!?!

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
dunam said:
I thought for a second that "You have to burn the rope" won Handheld.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/Mazapan/you-have-to-burn-the-rope

Favorite game in a long time.
...Aren't they basically the same game?

I mean, they're fun and great games, but still.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Raiyan 1.0 said:
CoD:BlOps? What the fuck people?

I think it's about time we get rid of democracy. People simply don't know what's good for them... -_-

Before anyone comes to rip me in half for the last statement, I've just one thing to tell you: Hyperbole. Learn it. Use it. Love it.
Incidentally, it wasn't CoD: Blops winning people's choice that got my panties in a bunch, (because let's face it, that's not surprising; Tragic sure, but unsurprising.....)

No, what REALLY befuddles me is how it crawled into "Best Story". I mean.... just.....WHAT?!

On that note: New Vegas should have won best story. I didn't play Heavy Rain, but New Vegas had a really mature and well written, but at the same time very flexible story.

kingmob

Jan 20, 2010
It is not surprising but still shocking such a bad game can get a people's choice award :(
I've been playing modern warfare 2 lately, with a friend there is still some fun, but alone the mp is just one big mess. It is unbelievable that so many years later shooters are not only so unbalanced on consoles, but that they are also the most popular. You would think they would've evolved a bit more after quake3 and UT. At least those games were balanced...

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
It's for the best that they don't put "games" in "BAFTA". Their nominee pool is so narrow, it makes me wonder what kind of cursory knowledge of videogames do these people have.

Dragon Age 2 getting a trashing in a few hours? Awesome, can't wait.

EDIT: And yes, I agree that people's choice is a stupid category. Buying a game is five times more expensive than seeing a film, so naturally most people have only bought the most hyped and talked-about one.

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
God, that's depressing. A CoD game winning GOTY is like a Michael Bay movie winning Best Picture. Sure, it can possibly be enjoyable shlock and a decent way to waste an afternoon, but there's literally nothing new or innovative about it. Game of the year? Christ.

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
artistic went to GOW3? i would have pegged LIMBO for this (lacking a PS3, or friends with PS3's due to liking to play games instead of having originally bought a blu-ray player that happened to play a few games, i havent played it but i did try GOW 1 and have seen 2)

GAME went to COD BLOPS?!? seriously, i found it horrible with a huge dash of sick-making.

well...at least creed got props for its "runny, jumping, stabby" bits if nothing else

Euhan01

Mar 16, 2011
Awards shows are always rather mixed, they can't please everybody. If they did, then people would focus on them trying to please everybody rather than going for quality/values.

No win situation.

8-Bit Grin

Apr 20, 2010
Nomanslander said:
Just Cause 2, Dead Rising 2 and Amnesia: The Dark Descent didn't score a single nomination....

-Yahtzee

Poor Yahtzee, finally realizing maybe his tastes aren't as refined as he thinks it is...=*(
Or realizing that gamers tastes are reaching all new levels of suckitude.

Wait, I apologize.

I meant to politely say-

People with recently acquired gaming tastes tend to prefer a low-brow type of gaming.

There, much much better.

Tzatziki3301

Aug 11, 2009
BlOps winning a BAFTA is equivalent to Fast and Furious taking best picture. But then, you let 12yr olds vote for their favorite game, so naturally anything with an 18BBFC is going to get nominated (and FIFA, for being an industry-beating behemoth-like unstoppable mass every year since it became better than Pro Evo. Seriously, in the UK, the release schedule mysteriously clears for the week of FIFAs launch)

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Bwahaha! I cant tell whats even funnier, Black Ops winning or everyone crying about it.

I must admit even though I'm a major CoD fan I still thought it doesn't deserve that many nominations. As for the amount of complaining and mild hate it generating here, its a peoples choice award, who didn't see this coming or at least had a hunch. In the end even though I don't think it deserved it I'm still glad Black Ops won an award. Honestly I'm probably one of the few people here who gets happy when CoD wins something.(call me a mindless fanboy all you want as long as I still enjoy them your insults mean nothing to me)

VGFreak1225

Dec 21, 2008
I feel like I'm the only one who agrees with you on the whole Super Mario Galaxy 2 expansion pack/sequel thing. I still think the game is amazing, and I'm more than glad to have played it. But I seem to be the only one I know who believes that. But regardless, Super Mario Galaxy 2 being nominated for innovation is bullcrap. Did it do ANYTHING innovative? Not that you need to be innovative to be good, but come on.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Here's a question: Why was FIFA 11 nominated for ANYTHING? Best sports game I could understand, but Game of the Year? Don't misunderstand me, as far as soccer sims go this is probably as good as they're going to get, but did it really need to be nominated for GotY? I know this is a british award show and soccer is to them what football (that is to say American Football) is to us here in the States, but could it have been good enough to get GotY? No, I say!

That said on the "Bioware Face" that the good Yahtzee commented on in Bioware adventure/RPGs...eh, maybe a little. I see what you're getting at, how the characters themselves stand completely still and maybe wobble back and forth (or if they're really advanced, moving their arms/hands) while the line is being spat out and usually have an almost deadpan expression on their faces, but it's nothing I really pay that much attention to.