Extra Punctuation: Roleplaying Homosexual in Dragon Age 2

Feylynn

Feb 16, 2010
Thank you Yahtzee, I was truly beginning to doubt anyone else actually played within a role upon their role playing games.
Dragon Age 2 certainly has enough flaws to hold it back sure, but it's depressing so many people get caught up in the numbers and slidey color bars instead of trying to enjoy what the game does do right.

Sure it's paced terribly, but if you can't find any of the characters charming or feel an emotion over any of the events then you're clearly just trying to hate it. =/

MisterDyslexo

Feb 11, 2011
jawakiller said:
And then there's the whole female thing. Most chicks are attracted by power. I already posted this but I guess I'll have to say it again. I DON'T LIKE THE FACT THAT I HAVE TO PROVE MYSELF BUT I DON'T MAKE UP THE FUCKING RULES.
You'd think if somebody realized that, there's probably something wrong with the way they present their self, or how they act, or how they treat other women, or maybe define masculinity? No, being part of the "fag" complex, used by insecure men, usually middle or high-school students who don't have any real maturity yet, is just so much easier.

You'd think people would be less concerned in this day and age about what two people do in private with their genitals? Let alone two virtual characters in a videogame in which you have control over...

The Gnome King

Mar 27, 2011
jawakiller said:
*I'm a literature major and I believe that women like "power" and that means beating guys up and I also, by the way, have actually had gays make aggressive passes at me - and I expect you to believe all this*
Son, all I can say is that I pity you. Your argument has degraded from:

You attack gays who make passes at you in order to make sure women know you're not gay...

...to now claiming that you grew up in a rough neighborhood, have a "literature major" and you have to violently defend yourself against gay sexual assault.

You really expect us to believe that gays make aggressive sexual passes at you? Seriously? I have never, ever once in my life - and I've hung out with some pretty diverse crowds - seen a gay man "aggressively come on" to another straight male once being told that said straight male isn't interested. Period. Never. Not even if you hang out in gay bars.

I call internet BS - it just didn't happen. Your story gets more and more off-the-wall bizarre and your blatant desire to "win the internet argument" is almost laughable.

Look, write what you want - they're just words on the screen and you've lost *all* credibility with me at this point; and, I'm sure, most of the other Escapist readers who have read your posts in this thread from beginning to end. You sound like an angry teenager.

As I said, son... I pity you. There's hope that you'll find some maturity in growing up and realize that sometimes when you say something stupid on the net it's best to just apologize and move on.

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
Ha! More power to you buddy! Someone with your level of exposure to nerd culture might just go ahead and open the minds of some people that might not otherwise be so open-minded. Or maybe some people are out there that respect you and are timid about their sexuality, and you've just helped them develop a little bit of self-confidence. Good for you, Mr. Croshaw. I always looks forward to your videos and articles. Pokemon White may be your best review, by the way. The rommates and I were rolling on the floor. Then we got up and laughed, really hard, at your video. Good on yah!

Jonabob87

Jan 18, 2010
BabyRaptor said:
Jonabob87 said:
Interesting read!

It's lovely to know that you "pity" those who think differently from you...
Anyone who thinks negatively of others because of how they were born deserves to be pitied.
Well then you'd better get to work proving that people are born gay. Regardless, someone thinking homosexuality is wrong doesn't mean they think people who are homosexual are bad...

Even then people are also born with extra limbs and with mental health problems.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
Jonabob87 said:
BabyRaptor said:
Jonabob87 said:
Interesting read!

Anyone who thinks negatively of others because of how they were born deserves to be pitied.
Well then you'd better get to work proving that people are born gay. Regardless, someone thinking homosexuality is wrong doesn't mean they think people who are homosexual are bad...

Even then people are also born with extra limbs and with mental health problems.
Well look at it this way, they don't CHOOSE to get aroused when they look at an attractive male

Psychedeliasmith

Jan 1, 2008
jawakiller said:
thank you for posting a comment that contributes absolutely nothing to this argument. All these serious posts were really getting to me, thanks for lightening it up a little.
The 'argument' is 'I beat up gays who can't control their lust for me' in a forum topic about a computer game. I actually have no idea how seriously I should be taking it, to be honest. It's not my fault I found it quite preposterous, it's probably down to my upbringing on the mean streets of wherever it was I was raised. Literature major!

Jonabob87

Jan 18, 2010
Macrobstar said:
Jonabob87 said:
BabyRaptor said:
Jonabob87 said:
Interesting read!

Well look at it this way, they don't CHOOSE to get aroused when they look at an attractive male
That, my friend, is irrevocably true!

Psychedeliasmith

Jan 1, 2008
SpiderJerusalem said:
Just curious, but where is this hellish place that you're describing, because that kind of attitudes aren't found in colleges as a rule - but rather in groups of insecure, angry people who just don't know any better. If you're actually letting your homophobia be fueled and controlled by harpies that want volatile and angry men I suggest getting the heck out of there and fast. That kind of enviroment is a breeding ground for nothing good.
Oh good lord he's living out a kind of homoerotic Fight Club. Well, more homoerotic.

Timmehexas

Aug 15, 2010
Jonabob87 said:
Macrobstar said:
Jonabob87 said:
BabyRaptor said:
Jonabob87 said:
Interesting read!

I don't get the whole prove you're born gay argument, just think about it... did you decide to be straight? Its not a decision, from the moment I hit puberty I never found women to be attractive, no idea why and if I had the option that scared little 13 year old would have definitely (if he had a choice) chosen not to be gay.

Jonabob87

Jan 18, 2010
Timmehexas said:
Jonabob87 said:
Macrobstar said:
Jonabob87 said:
BabyRaptor said:
Jonabob87 said:
Interesting read!

I don't get the whole prove you're born gay argument, just think about it... did you decide to be straight? Its not a decision, from the moment I hit puberty I never found women to be attractive, no idea why and if I had the option that scared little 13 year old would have definitely (if he had a choice) chosen not to be gay.
That doesn't point to you being born gay at all, it leaves space for that possibility but there's 12 years before that for circumstances to effect a young mind. I know my rather un-fun childhood had serious repercussions for who I was when I became an adolescent.

Timmehexas

Aug 15, 2010
Jonabob87 said:
Timmehexas said:
Jonabob87 said:
Macrobstar said:
Jonabob87 said:
BabyRaptor said:
Jonabob87 said:
Interesting read!

That doesn't point to you being born gay at all, it leaves space for that possibility but there's 12 years before that for circumstances to effect a young mind. I know my rather un-fun childhood had serious repercussions for who I was when I became an adolescent.
And you're saying that I could have controlled those circumstances that "effected" my young mind? I never said people are "born" gay, people are born as a blank slate until their brain develops whether there is certain ways the brain develops to change behavior (in this case sexuality) its obviously not a choice, and if environment is the factor its still not a choice. Well unless you count having the choice to stop watching Tinky Winky prance around with a handbag, the great flaming homo that he is.

Jonabob87

Jan 18, 2010
Timmehexas said:
Jonabob87 said:
Timmehexas said:
Macrobstar said:
Jonabob87 said:
BabyRaptor said:
Jonabob87 said:
Interesting read!

And you're saying that I could have controlled those circumstances that "effected" my young mind? I never said people are "born" gay, people are born as a blank slate until their brain develops whether there is certain ways the brain develops to chance behavior (in this case sexuality) its obviously not a choice, and if environment is the factor its still not a choice. Well unless you count having the choice to stop watching Tinky Winky prance around with a handbag, the great flaming homo that he is.
Don't put words in my mouth man, I never said you could or did have control over the circumstances of your childhood. I said:

there's 12 years before that for circumstances to effect a young mind.
(Just noticed that should be "there are 12 years" or "there were")

I even pointed to myself not having a happy childhood and how that has affected me in much the same way our childhoods affect us all. I'm not sure how I could level with you any further.

(It seems the quote system has gotten mucked around with by someone, as my name is switched around with someone else's in the quotes)

Edit: Bear with me, trying to fix the retarded quoting system... DONE

Jonabob87

Jan 18, 2010
jawakiller said:
Micalas said:
Leftist shit? I was unaware that championing equality was a leftist quality. Ok so you don't like the race comparison. Let's go with women since it's not a race. (knows you're going to saying "It's not a gender either!") I'm actually a libertarian. If I were a leftist I wouldn't have specified social conservatism as a plague on society. I would have said conservatism in general.

Also, I didn't create a profile to say that. I haven't been posting here long but I had 6 other posts before I responded to you.
Oh, my bad. And I actually agree with you on libertarianism. (I know, so hard to believe a homophobic would agree with you) And I'm sorry about snapping at you. I'm just getting tired of people posting the same arguments against me. Even when I post a counter argument people still comment on my original post. And repeating myself is getting really old.
Muspelheim said:
Perhaps it is fail on my part as well to create a profile for this, as well, then. But why on Earth not...

What exactly is it that is leftist in arguing that it's wrong to injure other human beings only for the purpose of appearing manly and secure, which is an odd method of choice since it only loudly and clearly exclaims the opposite.
It seems your earlier arguement was asking for people to view the issue from a broader perspective, which is once again very odd since you are doing nothing of the sort yourself. When an opposing arguement appears, you dismiss it as "leftist", and asks them to shut up. That is hypocritical to quite frankly embarassing levels.

Furthermore, you expect your senseless hatred, funded in nothing but insecurity and presumtions, to be tolerated. You ask of us to find it perfectly reasonable to assault someone just to impress the ladies. The answer is no.

And that is NOT a masculine, impressive trait. Spilling out your anger and fear like a child is not something you will, or should, be admired for. A real man can remain a decent human being when being proposed something he does not want. He can deny the offer politely, and then carrying on being an adult. And he will have a modicum of control over his anger, and will know better than unleashing it on people who did nothing to deserve it. And a real woman will not be impressed by someone acting like a man-child, using violence to cover up his own insecurity.

Like it have been requested before in this thread; grow. If nothing else, to avoid an assault-charge further down the line. Or someone who will fight back. And if even that is difficult to accept, then do it to experience what TRUE respect is.
I have already explained this but seeing how you insist on me explaining myself, I will.
I DON'T GET INTO A FIGHT WITH EVERY HOMOSEXUAL I MEET.
Goddamn, why does nobody get that? Here's a chart to help you out.
A comment. - A "sure whatever."
A compliment. - "Not gay dude, sorry."(if i know he swings that way)... If not. What?!
A flirtatious comment or subtle innuendo. - "I'm not into guys. (maybe a bit harshly said but whatever)
A sexual comment. - "Fuck off!" (seriously, thats the norm)
A sexual pass. - I get in his face and tell him to back off.
If he refuses... I start a fight.

This is not gay-bashing or fag-hunting (like in highschool), this is a socially created behavior. I grew up in a violent neighborhood in my teen-aged years and I there learned how to kick ass. I'm not kidding. I definitely know what a real fight is. When I get into a fight with an offending party, they always fight back (and they usually go at it in a very cocky manner because I'm not a heavy-weight). So its more of a Napoleon complex than anything.

And then there's the whole female thing. Most chicks are attracted by power. I already posted this but I guess I'll have to say it again. I DON'T LIKE THE FACT THAT I HAVE TO PROVE MYSELF BUT I DON'T MAKE UP THE FUCKING RULES. There, I said it again. And the toleration bit was me being sarcastic, I really don't care if you tolerate me or not. And I don't anything illegal so you have very little basis for your argument. Morals, apparently, mean dick so you can't use that either.

All you have is the "hey you hate gays, you must be gay" argument. Oh, and the "you're a childish boar." that one too.
Psychedeliasmith said:
I don't feel that you understand what the word 'compared' means, given your belief that it's not possible to compare one thing to another. And you ended your post with 'Fail.' That's quite sad.
You're talking to a literature major, I know what words to use. And thank you for posting a comment that contributes absolutely nothing to this argument. All these serious posts were really getting to me, thanks for lightening it up a little.
I call bullshit, the town I live in is so bad that statistically because I live here I'm either a junky or a drug dealer. I wouldn't hit a gay person for being flirtatious.

I'd tell them to fuck off, but no, you're talking nonsense.

Sep 20, 2010
I wonder...Did any of the gamers who had concerns/disagreements towards homosexual characters end up'siding with the mages'? (I'm not too sure if i should have put a spoiler warning there, but ah well.)

whether the writers for Dragon age 2 noticed it or not, there is certainly a similar scenario between the prejudice towards mages and the prejudice towards homosexuals. Both are forced to 'hide' who they are, fighting for their right to be equal and free from discrimination.

putting this aside,I am not implying that Bioware made DA2 to be a 'LGBT awarness campaigne' that's just absurd. There are much better/worse topics in the game which are worth discussing...*coff* repeated dungeons *coff, coff*

However,Personally, I am curious (let's not stop the sentence there) to what this minor aspect of the game reveals. Did any Gamers who feel 'discomfort' towards gay minority feel sympathetic or disapproving of the mages' attempts for equality? however brash some attempts may have been? Or did they percieve the same scenario as worthy of a 'right of annulment?' and if so why?

I hope others will be mature enough to not turn threaded comments into an pro/anti-gay argument, but merely a discussion of the game. There's a slight differance.

Also, any comments suggesting that gay individuals are resorting to blood mgaic will certainly make me laugh. x

kromify

Feb 9, 2011
jawakiller said:
And then there's the whole female thing. Most chicks are attracted by power. I already posted this but I guess I'll have to say it again. I DON'T LIKE THE FACT THAT I HAVE TO PROVE MYSELF BUT I DON'T MAKE UP THE FUCKING RULES. There, I said it again. And the toleration bit was me being sarcastic, I really don't care if you tolerate me or not. And I don't anything illegal so you have very little basis for your argument. Morals, apparently, mean dick so you can't use that either.

All you have is the "hey you hate gays, you must be gay" argument. Oh, and the "you're a childish boar." that one too.
reading your posts make me die a little inside. it sounds as if you don't like girls, and when i say "like" please don't read "sexually attracted to". you have no respect for us.
in my experience as a girl, and having lots of girls for friends; we like the guys who like and respect us. any initial spark will be quickly extinguished without that, no matter what you try to prove.

kromify

Feb 9, 2011
also; gay individuals are CLEARLY resorting to blood magic! Anders is the worst of the lot.

p.s. i'm a fanders!!!

BluesHadal

Feb 10, 2011
Someone like on page 3 probably nailed why its a problem.

Sometimes people don't role play. Sometimes they just want to play a game, along with just going with the story. Now they'll either choose whatever choices they have to based on their own judgement(as part of the game) or cause they think it might be funny, or for benefits.

The fact is if that person doesn't consider themselves gay or anything, getting hit on and getting that unwanted attention is going to be awkward for them.

Bioware needs to either acknowledge friendship doesn't equate to romantic love or have an option where a character decides to be straight and not be bothered without being forced into a relationship or something. Maybe characters remembering which gender you seem to like ect.

Though I haven't played the game.

I can see the other side too though. I've read, watched, and even played a few games where the girl was the main character even if just for a bit. And I saw that person outside of myself and didn't care or liked the relationships she had. Though I can imagine if its a guy character, guys might project unto them.

Also it might be unexpected. In most media, you can expect a girl(or anything) to be the main before watching/reading. Based on (short)previews, trailers, and commercials, some people not fully aware might be caught by surprise by it.

Christian Kingston

Apr 7, 2011
Spoilers........

I didn't pursue the homosexual relationships in DA2 but I did think the whole romance thing was well done.
I managed to bang Isabella, give her up to the Qunari instead of fighting that big dude and then settled down with Merrill. Merrill has smaller titties and I find big boobs intimadating.
Aveline was too macho for me, I suspected she actually had a penis.

I did bum several prositutes, not the same thing though as I didn't love them