May god help us all........

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Zhukov said:
Y'know, that was nowhere near an venomous as I was expecting.

Also, I strongly agree with him on Dead Island. That trailer that everybody went gaga about suggested some kind of emotional engagement, or at least an attempt at it. But the actual game was revealed to be a zombie-em-up splatterfest nauseatingly reminiscent of Borderlands.
Yeah I got the same feeling when I saw that, it was kinda a let down to be honest. I'm curious to know why they kept giving us such a schizophrenic view on the game before they finally gave us the run down of the game.

OT: With Tomb Raider I'm wondering how that survival mechanic works as well. I've read different things on it and I'm interested in it enough to see how that will work out and if it will change the way the game plays out.

Also, I think I know Yahtzee's feelings about Silent Hill: Downpour since he made no mention of it. I can agree with him on that.

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
huh... I thought I once heard yahtzee say he's opposed to remakes.
Well... as long as it's HD :p...

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
OT: With Tomb Raider I'm wondering how that survival mechanic works as well. I've read different things on it and I'm interested in it enough to see how that will work out and if it will change the way the game plays out.
I can answer that.

It just highlights the interactive elements in a room. Puts a kind of yellowish glow around them. Fairly similar to "runner vision" in Mirror's Edge.

Yeah... I'm guessing that wasn't what you were hoping for. There's a gameplay demonstration out there that includes it, if you want to see for yourself. A quick bit of googling should find it.

EDIT: Ah, screw it, I'll dig it up myself. Here ya go [http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-tomb-raider/714828?type=flv].

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
So is it ever going to be possible to play Silent Hill 1 without a Playstation, a dodgy emulator, or a mixed-bag Wii remake?

May 25, 2010
The Silent Hill HD Collection

OH GOD IS THIS THE EMOTION YOU CALL JOY????
Something tells me that Yahtzee didn't hear about the new voice acting.

Also I find it very disturbing that in a year where plenty of new IP's were released and more are still on track to being released, people still complain about the lack of creativity and endless sequels. I suspect it's become sort of a trend at this point. Here are some quick examples from this year's E3: Catherine, Shadows of the Damned, Never Dead, yes even Dead Island and most likely a lot more that I'm forgetting right now. And there's several sequels that look like a drastic departure from the respective originals and might even turn out great. I guess it only depends on what games you want to notice.

Callate said:
So is it ever going to be possible to play Silent Hill 1 without a Playstation, a dodgy emulator, or a mixed-bag Wii remake?
I'm pretty sure it's available on PlaystationNetwork in the PSOne classics sections. For PS3 and PSP. Those games tend to work just fine.

Falcon123

Aug 9, 2009
Congratulations on discovering joy, Yahtzee, though I wish you had talked about what you thought of Downpour... Oh well, go Revelations!

Bluecho

Dec 30, 2010
I'm torn. On the one hand, Serious Sam is going to be another brown shooter with heaping spoonfuls of grit, like every other shooter ever made nowadays. On the other hand, it's abandoning chest-high walls if the tagline is to be believed. Hell, get the mod community on this, and they'll de-grit the game with a colorful coat of paint so we can have a real SS sequel.

Probably the best news is they're HDing the Silent Hill games. Thereby releasing better quality versions of some of the best games ever released. Maybe Henry Mason won't look like a collection of blocks.

lobster1077

Feb 7, 2011
CyricZ said:
BlueKite1675 said:
I was wondering if he'd say something on Hitman: Absolution. No David Bateson (voice of 47), no Jesper Kyd, it appears that Diana Burnwood is now a sexpot (when she was originally a stuffy matron type), and from what I'm understanding, you get bonuses for killing all enemies in an area.
What?? Are you serious? This can't be, the orchestral soundtrack was the one of the best things about the series. haaaroooo

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
This is the first time I've heard anything about Silent Hill HD remakes. Now I just have to figure out why this here 22 year old guy is emitting noises that sound suspiciously like fangirl squees.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Zhukov said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I can answer that.

It just highlights the interactive elements in a room. Puts a kind of yellowish glow around them. Fairly similar to "runner vision" in Mirror's Edge.

Yeah... I'm guessing that wasn't what you were hoping for. There's a gameplay demonstration out there that includes it, if you want to see for yourself. A quick bit of googling should find it.

EDIT: Ah, screw it, I'll dig it up myself. Here ya go [http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-tomb-raider/714828?type=flv].
Thanks for the refresher, now that I've had more time to think about that, I guess I just want to know if it's used for a purpose. Like if it's going to affect the story at all, or something of the like. It's an interesting mechanic and all, but I'm wondering if it's something more other than for a dramatic effect. I don't know what to make of it yet to have any sort of hope for it, other than intrigue.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
CT862 said:
So, no mention of Final Fantasy XIII-2? But its just Final Fantasy XIII again, with quick-time events. I'm sure Yahtzee would love it! :)
Ha ha ha ha!

>( Oh, very nice. Do you know what you just did?! Now poor Yahtzee will have a nightmare.

Yahtzee: :( FFXIII-2?! I have to review this?!

The Escapist: >) Yes. You do, or we cut off your testicles.

Yahtzee: :( How much do I have to play?

The Escapist: >) All of it....

Yahtzee: o_O.......Noooooooooo!!!!!

(Disclaimer: Never played XIII before, and my current favorite FF is 12.)

Agiel7

Sep 5, 2008
The problem I have with silent protagonists is exemplified by the direction the Half-Life story is going. I mean, if Gordon Freeman was an actual human-fucking-being and supposed to be a self-insert of the player, he WOULD be voicing his opinion on what's going on. For example, when Eli Vance was hinting towards how he knew about the G-man, but said it was a discussion for another time, Freeman should have stamped his foot and said: "NO! That fucker was following me around and mind-fucking me for the past 15 GODDAMNED YEARS! You are going to tell me what the fuck is the deal with him RIGHT NOW!"

The silent protagonist as a narrative device worked well for Half-Life 1, but Valve have gotten sloppy as of late when it comes to justifying that trope.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
Is anyone else surprised that he didn't talk about Saints Row: The Third? I mean seeing as Saints Row 2 is one of his few favorite games of this generation, you would think that he would at least watch the trailer.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I'm just as excited for all the HD re-releases as the next guy, but has anyone noticed that some of them aren't even texture updates, like the God of War Collection?

From what I've seen on the Konami releases, it just looks like they retooled the aspect ratio to better fit HDTVs, so you can see all of it's pixelated glory on the big screen. Of course, being the complete fucking sheep that I am, I'm still going to buy them all, but it still irks me that some of them look like that last piece of shit they call King of Fighters XIII.

aarontg

Aug 10, 2009
I agree with protagonists with voices. I always felt a little bit of disappointment when games like black ops act out a role for me. Call it pointless if you want but I got a little bit more fun out of portal 2 when I was able to express my reactions to the events in the story using only the analog sticks and the jump button. Also: the character doing nothing but grunting when jumping, being shot, ect. also doesn't count since I feel like my character has a gas problem that shows itself every time he exerts himself.

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
Honestly, some people just can't let go of the past, can they.

The Silent Hill HD Collection

OH GOD IS THIS THE EMOTION YOU CALL JOY????
Oh, I see what you did there :p

Jonluw

May 23, 2010

Where is this image from?
It doesn't seem to be from any of the games mentioned in the article...

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Imp Emissary said:
CT862 said:
So, no mention of Final Fantasy XIII-2? But its just Final Fantasy XIII again, with quick-time events. I'm sure Yahtzee would love it! :)
Ha ha ha ha!

>( Oh, very nice. Do you know what you just did?! Now poor Yahtzee will have a nightmare.

Yahtzee: FFXIII-2?! I have to review this?!

The Escapist: Yes. You do, or we cut off your testicles.

Yahtzee: I'll go clean the knife.

*Later*

Yahtzee: Fucking worth it.
Fixed for you.

What's with all the Revelations games? Assassin's Creed, Resident Evil, there were at least two others whose name escapes me at the moment...

But...I agree with Yahtzee in that Assassin's Creed needs to go back to the whole 'different time periods' thing instead of just going 'OH LOOK, MORE EZIO AND ALTIAR!' Noone ever gets tired of them!