Facebook patents the word "Face"

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
I would go and patent "Original".
-In your face ad companies!

Honestly, at this rate we either need a another international language or come up with new one.
And thank Atheismo, EU don't let things like that pass or at least Finland doesn't.

eritsukukun

Jan 22, 2009
this thread demonstrates the general publics poor understanding of patents and copyrights.

first of all the trademarking of a word does not prevent you from using it in everyday speech. I do not need to pay windows a dime to use the word windows. it does however prevent me from making a computer called applepod that runs on Windows 34.

I would be much more concerned that Facebook owns your actual face if you have ever uploaded a picture of yourself there rather than the word face.

Naheal

Sep 6, 2009
I'd trademark the word "ain't" specifically so that it could get a place in the dictionary.

vivalahelvig

Jun 4, 2009
Face face face face facity fa...*SUED*

That's jhust stupid, you can patent a word, thats like patenting cows, and selling the meat for extremely high prices only.

Xhu

Nov 15, 2009
The search bar: too difficult to face? [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.247110-Facebook-De-face-ing-the-internet]

It's not even a day old.

monkey_man

Jul 5, 2009
I hate facebook. i've seen some of the things people blurt out on it.
I know my grammar isn't top-notch, and that it contains a lot of errors.
But some of the things are so bad, i re-relose the faith in humanity.
(first loss - 4chan
second one - seeing the darker nature of man in games (scamming, come on people, be nice and don't betray gullible/kind hearted people!)
and now this.)
Word i'd own : Ivo. everyone saying my name has to pay me a lot of money >:D
or something like "cake"or "chocolate" or "l33t"

Vigus92

Mar 13, 2010
Wardnath said:
face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face face
I hope I don't get banned for that.

Anyway, I think I'd copyright "epic". Or "fail". Or both.
But that would mean that the studio "epic games" would have to close down their website. :p

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
SilverStrike said:
I'd copyright most common profanities so that A) I could make dosh off swearing and B) People might swear less so they can avoid me. Which makes the world nicer.

Unless people find alternative words for cursing..
Oh flagooglenuts, I just cleaned that flouncing floinker!

RikSharp

Feb 11, 2009
cant believe we got halfway down page 2 before anyone mentioned dr tim langdell...
does nobody rememer edge games?

Grygor

Oct 26, 2010
Christ people, it's just a damn trademark. Trademarks are in many regards the weakest form of IP protection available.

For starters, trademarks are severely limited in scope - they don't grant you sole ownership, they apply only in the realm of commerce, and especially in the case of trademarks that are themselves pre-existing words or phrases, have only limited applicability there. As an example, Activision Blizzard has a trademark on the word "Diablo" (Spanish for devil) - but if I were to sell a game called "Diablo Canyon Meltdown" (about a theoretical nuclear accident), they would not be able to stop me, nor would the be able to stop me from writing books, songs, or movies titled "Diablo" (unless I suggested some kind of direct connection to the game franchise).

Trademarks have other limitations as well. For example, even though trademarks are theoretically eternal, a trademark can become "genericized" - i.e. synonymous with the product or service in general, rather than a specific brand - and thus unenforceable. Examples of genericized trademarks include thermos and zipper.

TL;DR version - Facebook doesn't own the word "face" - they only own the right to use the word "face" in certain commercial contexts.

jameskillalot

Apr 27, 2010
word patents are ok - of words that are, you know, uncommon or specific. Eventually someone will patent the word "and", then we're all screwed.

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
Wakikifudge said:
It makes sense actually. It's not like you won't be able to use the word face anymore.
People just won't be able to make websites with the word used similarly to facebook.
ie. facelog.com or facejournal (I don't know if those are real or not).
It's so some guy doesn't go making a website with a similar name trying to lure people in by making them think facebook did it.
You're defiantly right, I'm just worried that other sites will be affected too.