Facebook patents the word "Face"

Dr.A

Jun 3, 2010
I'd copyright the word "the" because you can hardly go through a day without using that word.

But if I wasn't a selfish, money-grubbing bastard, I'd chose to copyright "modified" because it's my favorite word, and I'm still rather selfish.

FACE FACE FACE FACE FACE FACE

Anchupom

In it for the Pub Club cookies
Apr 15, 2009
Patenting the word "the".
Cough up, everyone.
omicron1 said:
So... people can't talk face to face via webcam anymore?
It's eye to eye now.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Still not as bad as UPS trademarking the colour Brown... Or Paris Hilton trademarking 'that's hot.'

But definately up there with the 'best'.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
We'll see where it goes from here, there have been similar things in the past and most ultimatly meet with failure. I see where the intent of Facebooks trademark is, or what they claim it to be. I'd imagine what happens is how many powerful people they manage to slot off in trying to enforce it. Or how bad a rep they get from being bullies, because as jerks they could go after pople using the word in chat modes, or in privatly owned fan sites. Say for example some creepy girl who is in love with the A-team's "Face Man" and makes a site involving the word face dedicated to her worship of the character and the actors who played him or whatever. :p

The way I see it is that if this plays out like I expect, we might see them going toe to toe with Apple, and perhaps various cosmetic companies and such selling face lifts or whatever, and having product/company based websites. As big as Facebook is, too many other big companies get involved and they're in trouble.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Heart of Darkness said:
Hopefully it doesn't pass. We don't need another Langdell fiasco, and "face" seems like it's more common than "edge," anyway.

Also, screw patenting words--I'm going to patent the letter "e," so now every time you use the letter "e" anywhere, you're going to owe me a nickle!
my new social media networking game shall be called! "edgey edge-face: facing the edge of edgeless faces." the sequel shall be named "Facey face-edge: edging towards the face of a thousand edges"

Littlee300

Oct 26, 2009
I remember a site using facebook cookies to trick the user to think it is on facebook , but it is fake, and get virus/spyware.

So Facebook may have pure attentions, just chillax all of you!

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Sexual Harassment Panda said:
I say those facebook bastards owe me, for my family owns the colour blue.
doesnt that mean most countries in the world owe you for the blue in their flags? (Eg: the UK and US)

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
vallorn said:
Heart of Darkness said:
Hopefully it doesn't pass. We don't need another Langdell fiasco, and "face" seems like it's more common than "edge," anyway.

Also, screw patenting words--I'm going to patent the letter "e," so now every time you use the letter "e" anywhere, you're going to owe me a nickle!
my new social media networking game shall be called! "edgey edge-face: facing the edge of edgeless faces." the sequel shall be named "Facey face-edge: edging towards the face of a thousand edges"
Somewhere, a lawyer is crying. Someone in the vicinity of the first lawyer, is another who is crying money.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
I really thought you couldn't patent something that already existed :S I mean, it's not like they invented Faces or something :/ Can I patent houses? Or maybe conventional insulated climate maintained domiciles for occupation by one or more persons for a period of 1 day or longer. Yeah, that about covers it.