Fallout 4 lovin' thread

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Sassafrass said:
If you're on PC, VATS is on Q and you can widen the FOV through the use of the console. If you're not on PC, sorry about the FOV problem and check the controller settings, it should have it listed there. Source: I too missed the tool tip for VATs.

But yeah, so far 7 hours in, I'm liking it. Very few bugs as well, save for Dog falling through the floor once and an enemy just kinda falling from the sky. Runs pretty well as well, a definite improvement over the previous games. I also like the fact enemies now try and dodge your bullets instead of sponging them, and that feral ghouls are fucking ASSHOLES to deal with now. Nigh on shit myself when I turned the corner, saw two of them and about 6 more just appeared out of the walkway above me, then noticed they were actively dodging my shots.

Sold on the dialogue system as well. Sure, it's not in a list like the older games but you can still go digging to find out random shit that benefits you in no way what so ever.
Thanks, I'll definitely be cranking it up to 70 or more if it isn't already. I nearly crapped my pants the first time a ghoul crawled wheezing and hissing from under a truck.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I have played about 2 hours of the game and got just about 3 feet away from the Vault (damn having to work). So I will just give my honest opinion on what I have seen.

That baby is just about one of the creepiest damn things I have ever seen.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Catfood220 said:
I have played about 2 hours of the game and got just about 3 feet away from the Vault (damn having to work). So I will just give my honest opinion on what I have seen.

That baby is just about one of the creepiest damn things I have ever seen.
What are you talking about? It looks delicious!

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Question; Bolt Action Rifles. Are they in the game, and are they any good? And follow-up; how about swords?

Rather specific demands, but I really want those two things. :<

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I was just chillin and sidequestin. Some broke looking bums want me to take care of raiders? Yeah sure, no probs.

On the way, shooting some ghouls and suddenly explode. Power Armoured Raider with Fat Man. After a lot of reloading and suffering through a battalion full of raiders and an absolutely pain in the arse base to navigate and clear out..

I get 97 caps. And the keys to a shiny new workbench. Oh I'll get my money's worth back. You plebs will farm tatos for the rest of your sorry lives.

I'm having fun thus far.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
I got to say that I am happy with the removal of skills. I just ran into my first Synth enemies and was overjoyed when I could pick up their shiny laser pistols and turn it on them (and every other thing that dares stand in my way) without having to worry about if I had the proper skill. For a game series that has become a lot about shiny loot and using cool stuff it just makes sense to ditch the barrier that forced players into multiple playthroughs if they wanted to use more then 1/5th of the weapons.

The revised armor system is really cool, I like being able to either use one "full set"-armor or using various smaller pieces that go on top of the Vault Suit/Military Fatigues/other cool piece of clothing. The crafting system has also been a highlight, striking a rather good balance between usability and busywork, not to mention it makes stuff look cool. Speaking of which, anyone know of a good source of screws?

Muspelheim said:
Question; Bolt Action Rifles. Are they in the game, and are they any good?
Yes and yes. The Hunting Rifle and Sniper Rifle both makes a return, but as variations on the basic Hunting Rifle (changing out parts makes it into either the "traditional" Hunting Rifle or the Sniper Rifle). I just hit level 10 and my Sniper Rifle is a beast at range, taking about 70%-100% of the HP of a raider with a head shot.

Muspelheim said:
And follow-up; how about swords
Haven't found one yet, but I have gotten a machete that's pretty nasty...

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
I'm really loving it so far, especially the weapon customisation. Still lugging around the first 10mm pistol I got, which isn't something I'd do in Fallout 3 or New Vegas. The mods make it worth keeping.
Was clearing some random raider outpost with my sniper rifle, when some of the defenders managed to sneak up on me. Rather than wasting time at the very short range trying to kill them with a bolt action, I just charged in and bayoneted them, got some cool takedowns.
I love bayonets. This game gave me bayonets. I love this game.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Gotta say, I love the new 'quick looting' interface. You can quickly check the contents of containers and corpses simply by looking at them, rather than having to press the action button on them (although that ability is still present, for placing items out of your own inventory).

Oh, and I've already experienced this happen:

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Muspelheim said:
Question; Bolt Action Rifles. Are they in the game, and are they any good? And follow-up; how about swords?

Rather specific demands, but I really want those two things. :<
I have a machete that cleaves the enemies of man in twain. And a sawn-off hunting rifle that I found somewhere. As they say in Boston, "It's hella wicked pissa, kid!"

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
SlumlordThanatos said:
That being said...I only got to play an hour or two so far, and I have to say, I really like listening to my character's reactions to the situation she's in. Listening to her heavy breathing and exclamations of "What the hell happened here?" added a lot of impact to the early part of the game.

I enjoy listening to my character react to things and talk to herself, and I hope I get to hear more of it.
I suspect that is going to really bother me. I don't like hearing MY character representing ME jabbering away with a voice that is not mine. I'm the guy that wanted to mod out all Shepards voice files in Mass Effect because I found it terribly un-immersive. I will probably have to wait for the modding community to fix this.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
I'm not one for Fallout games, and I didn't get it at launch (that's what uncles are for =p), but I have three general questions about it:

1) How good is the weapon and armor tinkering/upgrading/customization? Heard that was supposed to get a bit better this time around.

2) How well implemented is the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. perks in regards to stealth, customizations/inventions and lockpicking/decoding? Again, particularly interested in the crafting section.

3) How big of a boom can you make before framerate takes a serious drop? I wanna make an explosion with about 2000 explosive devices and I don't wish to wait for the second coming of Christ to see it happen.

Might pick it up later if the feedback is not what I expect it to be.

sky pies

Oct 24, 2015
I haven't played it, and frankly I don't think I ever will because I haven't got a computer that can manage it now and don't ever see myself dropping the necessary Ks to buy one that could manage it in the near or middle future. Mainly due to RL constraints impacting the value of spending all that cash for a game I am in all likelihood never going to complete.

I think there's one positive thing I can always say about Fallout though, I dig the post apocalyptic atmosphere. I can get a bit tired of it - that's what happened in Fallout 3 for me - but I think the gameplay videos I've seen of this edition are pretty reassuring with regards to the quality of the experience.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I spent about 3-ish hours in Sanctuary just clearing up car wrecks, fixing white picket fences and making sure everyone has neat little patios and living rooms while listening to the new Classical radio station.

The new dialogue system sort of pisses me off though and it really needs some performance-increasing patches.

Mar 30, 2010
Really enjoying it so far. It's different to what I expected (and perhaps wanted) it to be, and I can't say I'm entirely sold on all the changes, but I've enjoyed what I've played so far and I'm kinda clock-watching until 5 when I get to go home and play it again ... and when all my old-man bellyaching is said and done that's really all that matters.

Favourite mechanic so far? The Power Armour. Having it now operate as a Mech-suit makes it almost like a character in it's own right, akin to Max's Magnum Opus, rather than just a piece of wearable gear.
Favourite character so far? Codsworth, by a country mile. "Have you ever tried to polish rust?!?"

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Gethsemani said:
Speaking of which, anyone know of a good source of screws?
You can purchase a "shipment of screws" at most weapon/junk vendors. Expensive, though. Or alternatively, there's a perk "Scrapper" under the INT column that gives you screws from breaking down weapons and armor.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
IceForce said:
You can purchase a "shipment of screws" at most weapon/junk vendors. Expensive, though. Or alternatively, there's a perk "Scrapper" under the INT column that gives you screws from breaking down weapons and armor.
Yeah, got Scrapper and using it to good effect. Since I am still quite early in the game I don't have the caps to just drop on screws, hence why I was hoping someone had found some item that contained them in abundance.

BaronVH

Oct 22, 2009
Regarding the frame rate and stuttering on an Xbox One, I have been playing for about six hours with none of these problems, but I have an external hard drive connected via USB. Just going on some other sites, that does appear to be the issue. I cannot recall the brand I used, but it is 1Tb, and I know it is not a SSD. Really enjoy it so far, and if stuttering is a issue for you, that is a solution, albeit a costly one; however, on either console, you really need more storage anyway.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I want to assure my players at The REALLY Wild Wasteland that I will not be importing stuff from Fallout 4 into my RP here on the Escapist. I've already heard about the Deathclaws and wish to convey that any resemblance between their actions and my own is purely coincidental, because I planned stuff well in advanced and only heard stuff about the actual gameplay yesterday. That said, I don't even have it yet and it is looking GOOD.