Fallout 4 lovin' thread

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Gethsemani said:
IceForce said:
You can purchase a "shipment of screws" at most weapon/junk vendors. Expensive, though. Or alternatively, there's a perk "Scrapper" under the INT column that gives you screws from breaking down weapons and armor.
Yeah, got Scrapper and using it to good effect. Since I am still quite early in the game I don't have the caps to just drop on screws, hence why I was hoping someone had found some item that contained them in abundance.
Flag components in any menu for them to be marked with a magnifying glass icon whenever they come up in looted materiel. I know that a reliable source of copper is light bulbs, hot-plates, fuses and some table lamps. Buying them in bulk from traders is quite expensive, but there is one trader at Abernathy farm near Sanctuary Hills - look for the big wooden house around the base of a pylon. Unlocking their workstation requires completing a fairly simple and lootful raider-related quest.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
I'm having an insane amount of fun with the game. Started playing and suddenly it was 5 in the morning. :p Gunplay has improved dramatically in this game, which was on of the few gripes I had with FO3(outside performance issues). Speaking of which, FO4 seems surprisingly stable at launch. They also fixed 3rd person perspective tremendously, which is another improvement I hoped for. Graphics aren't 'Order 1886' level of detail but again a definite step-up from FO3 and actually pretty good given the scale and memory intense game systems. Once again I also really enjoyed the retro sci-fi Fallout feel and the desolate and unnerving yet at times strangely cheery wasteland and it's peculiar inhabitants. The atmosphere and wanderlust this game provokes is also once again through the roof and one Bethesda proves to do best.

So far FO4 is everything I wanted out of a Fallout sequel. Improved what needed improving and kept the same what FO3 already did best. It seems Bethesda more perfecting the formula rather than re-inventing it.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Barbas said:
Flag components in any menu for them to be marked with a magnifying glass icon whenever they come up in looted materiel. I know that a reliable source of copper is light bulbs, hot-plates, fuses and some table lamps. Buying them in bulk from traders is quite expensive, but there is one trader at Abernathy farm near Sanctuary Hills - look for the big wooden house around the base of a pylon. Unlocking their workstation requires completing a fairly simple and lootful raider-related quest.
Yeah, I found the Abernathys early on (btw, aren't they the same Abernathys as in Fo3 or am I dreaming?), but I am too che- careful with my caps to buy bulk when I know there's stuff out there, just waiting to get picked up, containing all the screws I need.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Gethsemani said:
Yes and yes. The Hunting Rifle and Sniper Rifle both makes a return, but as variations on the basic Hunting Rifle (changing out parts makes it into either the "traditional" Hunting Rifle or the Sniper Rifle). I just hit level 10 and my Sniper Rifle is a beast at range, taking about 70%-100% of the HP of a raider with a head shot.

Muspelheim said:
And follow-up; how about swords
Haven't found one yet, but I have gotten a machete that's pretty nasty...
Splendid! The hunting rifle from New Vegas was my favourite, and the one from F3 was damn useful after I modded a proper one in. I love going Simo Häyhä on the Wasteland.

Barbas said:
I have a machete that cleaves the enemies of man in twain. And a sawn-off hunting rifle that I found somewhere. As they say in Boston, "It's hella wicked pissa, kid!"
That'll do nicely, very nicely indeed. And if there's a machete, proper swords won't be too difficult to mod in. Monsieur Raider Tête-a-merde; En Garde!

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Muspelheim said:
And follow-up; how about swords
There are two, from what I can tell by using the command console to search for "sword". Don't ask me where they are, though.
They're called the "Chinese Officer's Sword" and the "Revolutionary Sword".

If someone wants to give them a try (assuming you're playing on PC), the console command 'cheats' for the two swords are:

player.additem 143ab5 1
player.additem 147be4 1

On the subject of melee combat in general, it seems competent enough. Although I do have one small niggle about the fact that you can't hold block forever anymore; instead, you can only block with your melee weapon momentarily.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Muspelheim said:
That'll do nicely, very nicely indeed. And if there's a machete, proper swords won't be too difficult to mod in. Monsieur Raider Tête-a-merde; En Garde!
Oh, it gets better, my equine acquaintance: they already have swords, at least one of which - if you can find it - should suit you down to the ground!

Bix96

Oct 10, 2012
Muspelheim said:
Question; Bolt Action Rifles. Are they in the game, and are they any good? And follow-up; how about swords?

Rather specific demands, but I really want those two things. :<
I bought a Chinese Officer's sword from the gun store in Diamond City they seem to stock it pretty regularly. Haven't found any in world though.
So I went to the Castle to scout for a good settlement location...fair warning bring lots of ammo and stimpaks the place is infested with very tough mirelurks it took me nearly two hours and many deaths to clear.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
IceForce said:
There are two, from what I can tell by using the command console to search for "sword". Don't ask me where they are, though.
They're called the "Chinese Officer's Sword" and the "Revolutionary Sword".

If someone wants to give them a try (assuming you're playing on PC), the console command 'cheats' for the two swords are:

player.additem 143ab5 1
player.additem 147be4 1

On the subject of melee combat in general, it seems competent enough. Although I do have one small niggle about the fact that you can't hold block forever anymore; instead, you can only block with your melee weapon momentarily.
Ah, fantastic! Had those in mind, they were very useful in F3. Saving the item-id's for the future. Always good to have! Good news that the mêlée combat is alright, I was worried they'd forget about it. Play my cards right, and I won't be the one blocking.

Barbas said:
Oh, it gets better, my equine acquaintance: they already have swords, at least one of which - if you can find it - should suit you down to the ground!

Yes! YES! Swordfights! It could be hidden at the ends of the Wasteland, and I'll sniff it out. Can't be King without a collection of swords.

Bix96 said:
I bought a Chinese Officer's sword from the gun store in Diamond City they seem to stock it pretty regularly. Haven't found any in world though.
So I went to the Castle to scout for a good settlement location...fair warning bring lots of ammo and stimpaks the place is infested with very tough mirelurks it took me nearly two hours and many deaths to clear.
A castle, you say? That place will be mine. Thanks for the tip! Those overgrown prawns will end up served on my coronation dinner, no matter the cost.

Thanks for the tips, lads and lassies! It's embarrasing how excited I've become. I hope Boston's up for a new attempt at a king, because they're getting one! Well, that is when I can upgrade the PC so I can actually play the darn thing.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Muspelheim said:
Ah, fantastic! Had those in mind, they were very useful in F3. Saving the item-id's for the future. Always good to have!
Yep. Is it bad that the first thing I did when I started a new game of Fallout 4 was pull up the command console and try out a few common Skyrim commands? Heh, bet I'm not the only one who did that.

Ah, but I do love to tinker with things like that.

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
If I may offer a different set of words for G from this video

G is Great. Gray-Gra-Great... F-A-L-L-OUU!

Gee a Gee Ge Ga....

Fallout 4

Man what a groovy tune.
Fallout 4 is funnnn!
Crafting and Settlements to save.
The GUI is weaker than the gun!

Suffice to say Fallout 4 is rather fun, and while it has lost a bit more from the original two games... it makes up for it by making it a Nation Building game, rather than just a generic FPS RPG.

FrozenLaughs

Sep 9, 2013
Gethsemani said:
IceForce said:
You can purchase a "shipment of screws" at most weapon/junk vendors. Expensive, though. Or alternatively, there's a perk "Scrapper" under the INT column that gives you screws from breaking down weapons and armor.
Yeah, got Scrapper and using it to good effect. Since I am still quite early in the game I don't have the caps to just drop on screws, hence why I was hoping someone had found some item that contained them in abundance.
Desk fans all contain screws, 1 or 2,haven't looked that closely... But every other office in the wasteland seems to have a couple idly spinning.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
So, I'm going through and I'm enjoying it for the most part, except for one thing.

The male survivor voice acting. Again, I'm not very far in, but dear god is it dry. It's like a he took a quaalude. Which is surprising because I know the voice actor is a very charismatic and animated person in real life. I get this a lot in these male/female voiced protagonist games. I know the character is supposed to be a template for the player, so you don't want to be super quirky and try to be normal, but for some reason the males always come out boring to me while the females are still able to make it entertaining.

I'm tempted to go back and make a female instead. Is it any better on that side?

SmallHatLogan

Jan 23, 2014
I only just did the little power armour stint so I'm not far in. So far it seems good though. Too early to judge if it'll really suck me in like New Vegas did. It definitely feels like Fallout 3, but a much better Fallout 3 (which is good because I don't really care for Fallout 3).

I feel like the perks are a bit overwhelming. I want to go for a specific build (a lucky smooth talker who likes to punch things) but there are so many other things I want to put my points in. I might have to start planning ahead, having a specific goal will help my self control.

The opening sequence that give you your back story was a lot better than Fallout 3 but I still prefer the blank(ish) slate of Fallout 1, 2, NV's protagonists.

Overall it's not a game I can see myself doing any marathon sessions of any time soon but maybe that'll change as I progress. I like it but I don't love it yet.

LetalisK said:
So, I'm going through and I'm enjoying it for the most part, except for one thing.

The male survivor voice acting. Again, I'm not very far in, but dear god is it dry. It's like a he took a quaalude. Which is surprising because I know the voice actor is a very charismatic and animated person in real life. I get this a lot in these male/female voiced protagonist games. I know the character is supposed to be a template for the player, so you don't want to be super quirky and try to be normal, but for some reason the males always come out boring to me while the females are still able to make it entertaining.

I'm tempted to go back and make a female instead. Is it any better on that side?
I like her so far. She's not overly animated or anything but the performance feels very genuine to me. I haven't played as the dude but from the opening scenes I thought he was pretty underwhelming.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
LetalisK said:
Not very far in either, but so far I feel she delivers her lines quite convincingly. The problem is, in fact, that she delivers some of them so well that it can be quite jarring to first hear her deliver a dry, sarcastic and smug jab at someone and then, 10 seconds later, tear up over her missing son. It is more of a problem with tonal consistency in the dialogue wheel though and not with the VA's performance.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Main mission? Sorry I am too busy exploring, foxing up my settlement (hard to find copper if anyone can help out with that please do. I know street lamps help), Feral Ghouls have improved dramatically. I don't trust a dead body in the game anymore in fear of it being a damn "sleeping" Feral. So much improvements. FUCK YOU DEATHCLAWS!!!

Also one important tip. Do not fast travel. Walking the Commonwealth Wasteland you can find little hidden gems and interesting things. Like two skeletons trying to kill one another.

I love Fallout from here to high heaven. It's not the best game in the world, but it has that added something that makes you appreciate it and adore it so so much.

P.S. Seriously though, I need more copper. Please help.

Mar 30, 2010
Parasondox said:
Main mission? Sorry I am too busy exploring, foxing up my settlement (hard to find copper if anyone can help out with that please do. I know street lamps help), Feral Ghouls have improved dramatically. I don't trust a dead body in the game anymore in fear of it being a damn "sleeping" Feral. So much improvements. FUCK YOU DEATHCLAWS!!!

Also one important tip. Do not fast travel. Walking the Commonwealth Wasteland you can find little hidden gems and interesting things. Like two skeletons trying to kill one another.

I love Fallout from here to high heaven. It's not the best game in the world, but it has that added something that makes you appreciate it and adore it so so much.

Hotplates and lightbulbs contain copper, but the easiest way is to unlock the Scrapper perk (Int 5 required) as you then get copper from scrapped weapons and you finally have a use for all those pipe pistols that litter the Wasteland like, well, litter.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
How much am I enjoying myself with Fallout 4? Well, the only reason I am even bothering to post about it is because I am at work and unable to play at the moment. Also, if you're going to go on a Bethesda game launch binge it's a good idea to pick up some Visine before you head to work ;)

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I'm enjoying the hell out of it so far. I really love a particular bug I've run into, that has actually increased my immersion in the game.

I can't fast travel.

At first, this was really damn annoying, and then I realized 2 things.

1. It actually makes establishing tradelines between my settlements an important feature, giving me access to my crafting supplies anywhere. Instead of just being able to teleport back to Sanctuary real fast and whip up whatever I want.

2. It makes Radiation storms terrifying! Seriously, when one hit me out in the middle of nowhere, I was like "....oh sit, I have no shelter!!" Then I spent the time running around, trying to find some place to load into, and had to weigh the risk of assaulting a location just to get shelter, or just waiting out the storm. It was most intense! xD

I'm enjoying the hell out of it so far, my only gripe is
Mama May. Holy shit is she annoying. And her "I"m a psyyyychic and can seee the fuuuuture....if you give me drugs" bullshit is really annoying. Tossing in this pseudo-mystic shit into the plot is damn annoying to me, and I wish it wasn't there. I'm actually hoping at the end of the game, it turns out that she's not actually gifted in any way, and is just doing what regular mystics do, which is cold reading and bullshitting their mark. As it stands though, I'm disinclined to actually do stuff for her to find out, because I just really don't like her.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Grouchy Imp said:
Parasondox said:

Hotplates and lightbulbs contain copper, but the easiest way is to unlock the Scrapper perk (Int 5 required) as you then get copper from scrapped weapons and you finally have a use for all those pipe pistols that litter the Wasteland like, well, litter.
Thank you. I do go pass so many hotplates. I do need to get the perk on my next level up. I am too into my settlement.