Fallout 4 Review - Post-Apocalyptic Warlord Simulator 2287

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
ShakerSilver said:
erttheking said:
PFT! Oh please. The IP was DEAD before Fallout 3 came out. It was either Fallout 3 or no new Fallout games at all. So either you were expecting a type of Fallout that wasn't going to happen or the existance of 3 somehow (Oh and please tell me how Brotherhood of Steel didn't screw up the franchise)
This is false. Black Isle was working on the third Fallout game and much of the game was already completed. It was cancelled when Interplay (under management of Titus, makers of the lovely Superman 64) sold the rights to the franchise to Bethesda, cancelling the game and closing down the studio. The missteps of the franchise, Fallout Tactics and Brotherhood of Steel, weren't actually developed by Black Isle themselves. Tactics was made by Micro Forte and BoS was made in-house by Interplay. The only reason for the series having been screwed up was due to mismanagement of the IP by Interplay.
Right, I forgot about that. Still, the franchise would've most likely gone under if it wasn't for Fallout 3 and BoS still was a major fuck up for the franchise.

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
ShakerSilver said:
The only reason for the series having been screwed up was due to mismanagement of the IP by Interplay.
That may well be, but it doesn't change the fact that Fallout would have been effectively dead without having been sold. Interplay was utterly falling apart.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Conrad Zimmerman said:
Weaver said:
What platform was this played on? The FO3 UI on PC was utterly abysmal, wondering how this is on PC.
The review is predominately based on the PlayStation 4 release, informed with some light play from others on staff playing the other platforms. I can't speak to the PC UI specifically, as I didn't play that version, but I will say that there have been some across the board UI improvements. The HUD is much cleaner and less intrusive, scavenging is vastly improved. Inventory and information management remains much as it was.
Okay, sounds good! Thanks for replying, I'll keep an ear to the ground for people's opinions on the PC version before I pull the trigger :)

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
Conrad Zimmerman said:
I'm referring to the idea of the player performing essentially the role of a pimp by making it a commercial aspect of settlements built by the player. It's just a step I can't see any game taking.
Saints Row 3

On topic:
The dialogue is a real disappointment. I'm not a fan of FO1 and 2 but the way your stats affected dialogue always seemed like the most interesting aspect of the games. Not really fond of the player character having such an established back story and voice either. I hope someone does a mod to remove the opening sequence and calls it 'Familicide'.

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Coruptin said:
Conrad Zimmerman said:
I'm referring to the idea of the player performing essentially the role of a pimp by making it a commercial aspect of settlements built by the player. It's just a step I can't see any game taking.
Saints Row 3
But those missions were based on acquisition, and can be construed in some sense as "rescuing" people from abusive exploitation. While it's implied that the women are willing to perform sex work and will be under the Saints, the player doesn't actually engage in the act of selling sex, just obtaining the raw materials for it.

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Conrad Zimmerman said:
ShakerSilver said:
The only reason for the series having been screwed up was due to mismanagement of the IP by Interplay.
That may well be, but it doesn't change the fact that Fallout would have been effectively dead without having been sold. Interplay was utterly falling apart.
PC UI is quite good, though there are some frustrations with managing a very large inventory.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Conrad Zimmerman said:
I loved the score. Hits the right mood without being intrusive. Much of the licensed music is the same stuff it's been in prior games. Would have been nice to get some more variety in that. I have to admit that if I never hear Butcher Pete again, I can die happy.
Glad Zur is delivering great work again, but putting in the same freakin' songs again?! Man that's lazy. Can't wait for a make-your-own-playlist mod to come out then. I mean I love me some Butcher Pete but, yeah, as you say...

I just figured, sorry for bothering you so much by the way, but how's the map compared to Fallout 3 and New Vegas? I already read that the little details are back and that there's a new vertical dimension, but how filled out is it? How varied? Both 3 and New Vegas were, in retrospect, rather bland and monochrome. In the end one shack quickly started looking like another. Especially in New Vegas urban areas were also extremely instanced, cut into small pieces, I'd loathe to see that back again. I hope 4 does those things a lot better.

urishima

Nov 9, 2015
JonB said:
Conrad Zimmerman said:
ShakerSilver said:
PC UI is quite good, though there are some frustrations with managing a very large inventory.
So what would the problem with giving the player the option to exploit women for prostitution be? After all, no one complained when we could commit genocide in New Vegas.

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Cowabungaa said:
I just figured by the way, sorry for bothering you so much by the way, but how's the map compared to Fallout 3 and New Vegas? I already read that the little details are back and that there's a new vertical dimension, but how filled out is it? How varied? Both 3 and New Vegas were, in retrospect, rather bland and monochrome. In the end one shack quickly started looking like another. I hope 4 does that a lot better.
No worries. There's a lot to have questions about.

I found the structures to be much more varied, enough so that I can't say I noticed much repetition. I'm sure it's there, but this has been a step in the right direction for sure.

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
urishima said:
So what would the problem with giving the player the option to exploit women for prostitution be? After all, no one complained when we could commit genocide in New Vegas.
Apart from the horrendously bad press that the game would receive, not just in gaming circles but at large? A big part of the reason it would get a response is how personal it is. Genocide is pretty impersonal. One of those, "one death is a tragedy, a million is a statistic" things.

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
Smilomaniac said:
To me, you're the 10 year old kid who thought Star Wars was the best thing ever because of Jarjar.
You should get that by now.
There's literally nothing wrong with children enjoying things.

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
Conrad Zimmerman said:
If you hated the direction Fallout 3 went, then I wouldn't even bother. Just go No Mutants Allowed and grumble with the other people who have been left behind.
That was rude. We liked New Vegas, why can't we have more of that?

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Conrad Zimmerman said:
I found the structures to be much more varied, enough so that I can't say I noticed much repetition. I'm sure it's there, but this has been a step in the right direction for sure.
Good, that seems like quite a good step in the right direction. By the looks of the screenshots the game also looks a lot more colourful so there's that as well.

I should also really stop editing my posts so much, because I added this question regarding the urban areas. Especially in New Vegas urban areas were also extremely instanced, cut into small pieces, I'd loathe to see that back again. I hope it's not?

Coruptin said:
Smilomaniac said:
To me, you're the 10 year old kid who thought Star Wars was the best thing ever because of Jarjar.
You should get that by now.
There's literally nothing wrong with children enjoying things.
True, but I would argue that kids as well deserve quality entertainment and quality characters and not badly written, slightly offensive comic relief stereotypes. But at least that's not as bad as pre-teen girls thinking the idea of Edward and Bella's 'relationship' is how relationships are supposed to be.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Color me pleasantly surprised if a little hesitant because I remember the reviews of New Vegas and how the game didn't live up to them.
Still...seems like the type of game to get around April or May when the bugs have been hammered out and its at a 75% discount.

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Cowabungaa said:
I should also really stop editing my posts so much, because I added this question regarding the urban areas. Especially in New Vegas urban areas were also extremely instanced, cut into small pieces, I'd loathe to see that back again. I hope it's not?
This is better too, I feel. Diamond City, the largest of the settlements, does have a couple of instanced areas to it, but its market is totally open, which is pretty convenient. The smaller Goodneighbor (if I'm remembering correctly; haven't had a chance to fire up the game again yet today) is only instanced in its shops. And this is good because, while not so crazy as to merit a complaint in the review, load times can be a bit on the lengthier side.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Smilomaniac said:
Yeah, I know that you treat me like an exaggerated stereotype and not a real person, and that you don't respect me because I didn't like the same toys you did. I got that. Glad your priorities are straight.

I don't deal in probablies. There's just as much of a chance that EA or Activision would've picked it up, they seem to be big on IP hoarding. You would've preferred that they didn't? Tell me. How does the existance of 3 reduce your ability to enjoy 1 or 2?

Where did I say the models were the problem? Oh right, you're stereotyping me and not treating me like a real person so of course my biggest problem with Fallout 1 was the graphics, and not the fact that the combat was an absolute fucking trainwreck where combat is "Keep shooting at the bad guys and hope they die first" and usually they don't. Yes it is my loss. I have to grit my teeth and get through shitty combat to actually get to the good parts. That is most certainly my loss. I WANT to like Fallout but you word it like I'm determined to hate it because the graphics suck. Speaking of which, Planescape Tourment. A game I am a thousand times more interested in playing because I know it lets you sidestep it's half baked combat.

Oh! Can I get my "real fallout fan" card back then? Oh wait, it's worth nothing. Never mind, keep it. It was founded by a grand total of five former employees. The company has grown since then.

https://d1079ywfijtdjs.cloudfront.net/images/obsidian/the-team.jpg

No, your "True fan" comments still rub me the wrong way. Because most people who like Fallout 3 also like New Vegas. Really the whole "true fan" comments is based on you not being happy with the way the franchise is going and being angry at people who are actually happy, treating them like they're horrible for thinking that way. And you said, and I quote "The real fans of the series have ever since before the release of Fallout 3 forseen pretty much all that has happened, that Fallout has become an eyecandy shooter with little else to offer." New Vegas is basically Fallout 3 with a better story...so...pardon me for thinking that your statements that Fallout 3 being horrible and that people who like it not being real Fallout fans even though Fallout NV did the same thing and just told a better story makes it pretty clear your statements about "true fans" aren't really worth much and your definition of a true fan is just someone who thinks exactly like you.

TL:DR for the last paragraph, you essentially say "You're not a true fan if you disagree with me."

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Is there really a Perception Perk which draws you a path to your quest on your map, or that was just some hogwash made up by the fanmade create your F4 character site?

It just sounds so hillarious, Old World Blues rarely has dialogue without skill/stat check in it, the character progression can't possibly boil down to this level of simplicity (if true).

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Conrad Zimmerman said:
Cowabungaa said:
This is better too, I feel. Diamond City, the largest of the settlements, does have a couple of instanced areas to it, but its market is totally open, which is pretty convenient. The smaller Goodneighbor (if I'm remembering correctly; haven't had a chance to fire up the game again yet today) is only instanced in its shops. And this is good because, while not so crazy as to merit a complaint in the review, load times can be a bit on the lengthier side.
That seems to be a good development then, outside of the loading times. It's probably an engine thing, considering Skyrim had the same issue. But at least that means that exploring seems more rewarding then.

That seems to cover it I think. At least my favourite bit of the new Fallout games, exploration, seems to have improved. I can probably live with the new dialogue system if I can at least roam the Wasteland and actually, with the settlement system, making a big impact on it too. Thanks for answering my questions.