Fallout 4 Review - Post-Apocalyptic Warlord Simulator 2287

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Do4600 said:
It's like saying you like Shakespeare because you like Lion King.
And yet Lion King is the overall better experience. I've read Shakespeare. While I overall enjoyed his work I think he was little more than a bawdy playwright. It utterly baffles me that people think he's the best thing since before sliced bread was even a thing.

As erttheking has already stated, if liking the newer games more than the older ones means you have to revoke your Fan Card, then it wasn't worth much to have one to begin with. Being a fan doesn't automatically entitle you to be a condescending jerkwad to everyone who likes the parts of the series you don't like. If that's what it takes to be a "true fan" then you can keep that status. It isn't worthy of anything but shame.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Hi Conrad. I hope you can get to this comment. As someone who never played a Fallout game, would you say Fallout 4 is a good entry point if I could only play one in the series?

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
mysecondlife said:
Hi Conrad. I hope you can get to this comment. As someone who never played a Fallout game, would you say Fallout 4 is a good entry point if I could only play one in the series?
Look, I know I am not Conrad, but if you'll allow me, I'd say start with New Vegas. Parts 1 & 2, according to some people, did not age well, while F3 and (it seems so) F4 really lack in actual role-playing aspect.

NV, however, in my humble opinion, strikes a rather nice balance betwen being a good RPG and having relatively acceptable gameplay.

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
I forgot to ask, can you turn off those horrible dynamic crosshairs? Or at least make them static?

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
So, my biggest fears have been proven true: I am given some random assfaces for a spouse and a kid, for whom I am supposed to care just because Bethesda says so. Aaand, if leaks are correct, in the end I'll have to make a decision that makes F3 look like a masterpiece.

RPG aspects were neutered: no matter how strong I am, I am still not intimidating if I don't have a certain perk from Charisma tree. No matter how dumb I am, I will speak the same way. Some stats have become no more than seals, blocking access to perks. You only need Strength to carry things and Endurance to be hit and not die. And a goddamn average Joe and Jane voices.

You know what? Just make F5 already, but make it a post-apocalyptic FPS, so that the nail in the coffin could be finally hit.

I am not playing this. I won't buy it even for 2 bucks, because the time I can spend on this game I can also spend on far better games.

Rornicus

Jan 26, 2010
erttheking said:
Smilomaniac said:
...and not the fact that the combat was an absolute fucking trainwreck where combat is "Keep shooting at the bad guys and hope they die first" and usually they don't...
No offense, but you might be doing combat wrong if that was your approach to it in the first two games.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
erttheking said:
OK, this is not a reply to a specific comment of yours, but rather to your opinion on older Fallout games in general.

According to what you say, they did not age well and the combat is bad. I can't vouch fully for F2, since I did not finish it yet.
However, about F1. Yes, I have to agree that some things look and feel aged. I'd even go as far as to say that many (if not half) of skills are generally useless.

But, about gameplay and combat. Where did you stop? What exactly did you find bad? If it's about weapons not dealing enough damage, then you probably didn't play too much, because when I got an ordinary shotgun and had about 80 points in small guns (and good Agility) I had almost no problems up untill I started getting into fights with Deathclaws. And by then I had Desert Eagle .44 and This Gun I Remember The Name Of Not that could fire .226 rounds, which destroyed Deathclaws in 2-3 hits.

If it is about turn-based combat, however, then it's just probably not your thing. Did you like Shadowrun combat?

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
Mister K said:
So, my biggest fears have been proven true: I am given some random assfaces for a spouse and a kid, for whom I am supposed to care just because Bethesda says so. Aaand, if leaks are correct, in the end I'll have to make a decision that makes F3 look like a masterpiece.

RPG aspects were neutered: no matter how strong I am, I am still not intimidating if I don't have a certain perk from Charisma tree. No matter how dumb I am, I will speak the same way. Some stats have become no more than seals, blocking access to perks. You only need Strength to carry things and Endurance to be hit and not die. And a goddamn average Joe and Jane voices.

You know what? Just make F5 already, but make it a post-apocalyptic FPS, so that the nail in the coffin could be finally hit.

I am not playing this. I won't buy it even for 2 bucks, because the time I can spend on this game I can also spend on far better games.
Yeah, same here. I was hoping that the rumors would prove false but nope. I would say I hope Obsidian makes another one, but I highly doubt that they will sadly enough

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
Man, I'm just not sure what I should do with this one. On one hand, the world and narrative seem interesting, the crafting and settlement building are cool, and better combat is always nice. But at the same time, with limited dialogue options, less RPG elements, and less ways to resolve situations, it does look like the game isn't going in a good direction. I have heard that the game skips basic black and white morality in favor of four main factions, like New Vegas, but without more ways to interact with them, I'm just concerned.

I may still end up picking it up just for the Fallout fix, but I'm going to wait a bit to hear more opinions. Worst case scenario, I'll just need to wait for Obsidian to make the next game.

Rornicus

Jan 26, 2010
zombiejoe said:
I may still end up picking it up just for the Fallout fix, but I'm going to wait a bit to hear more opinions. Worst case scenario, I'll just need to wait for Obsidian to make the next game.
This, except sadly I'm not holding out a lot of hope that Beth with let Obsidian make another FO game. I thought I heard they specifically weren't going to let them do another. I may be (and hope I am) wrong though.

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
Rornicus said:
zombiejoe said:
This, except sadly I'm not holding out a lot of hope that Beth with let Obsidian make another FO game. I thought I heard they specifically weren't going to let them do another. I may be (and hope I am) wrong though.
I've heard some mixed messages about Bethesda and Obsidian's current relationship. On one hand, there was some bad blood from that 84 Metacritc score and Bethesda trying to rush the guys to finish the game. On the other hand, Obsidian says they'd really like to do another Fallout game. On the third, mutant hand, Bethesda hardly even mentions New Vegas, so I have no idea what they're thinking.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Do4600 said:
erttheking said:
Do4600 said:
I just...what does that even mean?
The Lion King was based on Hamlet, but it has obvious differences and simplifications to appeal to a wider and younger audience.
Yeah, that comparison doesn't really work considering that there's a difference between based on and being part of the same franchise.

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
Holy cow, some of the posts in this thread. Calm down. This is The Escapist, not No Mutants Allowed. No need to attack people for starting with Fallout 3. The old games are just that, old. They are from an entirely different era of gaming. They have not aged well and are hard to get into. Calm down, let's be civil here.

As for Fallout 4, I'll just post my thoughts from the General Discussion thread.

Comic Sans said:
I would like to try it sometime, but won't buy it myself. I'll ask for it for my birthday this month or Christmas. I am sure it's a solid, even great game, but I really don't like how they messed with the role playing aspects. Less conversation options, removing skills, neutering the importance of SPECIAL, all things that irk me. One of my favorite things in New Vegas was how many different ways there were to complete quests, even in just the dialogue. Having high skills could make for entirely different experiences. Going through Old World Blues with high Science was an absolute hoot. By removing those elements from the game, you remove what made it interesting and unique for me. The game is clearly a successor to Fallout 3, not New Vegas. And while Fallout 3 was a good game at the time that I put time into, when I look back there's nothing that really stood out. I just kind of shrug my shoulders and go "eh, it was fun I guess". Given that and how I generally don't really get grabbed by Bethesda RPGs due to similar issues, I am holding off until it's cheaper or it's a gift.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
Kajin said:
Do4600 said:
And yet Lion King is the overall better experience. I've read Shakespeare. While I overall enjoyed his work I think he was little more than a bawdy playwright. It utterly baffles me that people think he's the best thing since before sliced bread was even a thing.

As erttheking has already stated, if liking the newer games more than the older ones means you have to revoke your Fan Card, then it wasn't worth much to have one to begin with. Being a fan doesn't automatically entitle you to be a condescending jerkwad to everyone who likes the parts of the series you don't like. If that's what it takes to be a "true fan" then you can keep that status. It isn't worthy of anything but shame.
Perhaps the Lion King is more palatable, but in my opinion it doesn't challenge the audience as much, it doesn't ask as many existential questions, and some would say that those questions are the purpose of art in the first place. Which one is better is a matter of philosophy and preference but being a fan of The Lion King still doesn't make you a fan of Shakespeare. Being a fan of Bethesda's Fallout doesn't make you a fan of Interplay's Fallout.

I think the problem is that they share a name but Bethesda's Fallout is essentially a totally different game, no maybe not a totally different game, just an outrageous spin-off, Fallout 3 is like Trapper John M.D. to Fallout's M*A*S*H*. Now imagine that Trapper John M.D. is even more popular than M*A*S*H* and that it's also named M*A*S*H* this is exactly the situation we're in right now.

Fallout 3 uses 95% of the art design, 40% of the story and 20% of the mechanics of Fallout. They're not similar games which explains why people who are fans of the new games usually hate the old games and why people like me who played the old games look at the new games and say they might as well be a new IP altogether. It's Fallout in name only, sure there are things called deathclaws, there are stimpacks, there are super mutants, but it still won't change the fact that nearly every aspect of how you navigate and interact with those art assets is totally different. Like Lion King it's a simplified experience to appeal to a wider audience.

It's a totally subjective question of which you prefer. One is a true sprite based RPG with deep mechanics and choices you can't even scratch in a single playthrough. One is a massive first person shooter with basic rpg elements which provides a visceral experience that is linear at the top and bottom and wide in the middle. I don't see the new games as Fallout games, and you see that as a slur because you LOVE Fallout, but for 11 years before Fallout 3 Fallout 1-Tactics WAS fallout, and that's my perspective. That's my Fallout, not your fallout. So when you look at old Fallout you say, "That's not Fallout, Fallout 3 is Fallout" If they had just named it OBLIVIOUT, or Daughter Particles or Black Rain or Thyroid Melter we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Also just like sports fans, if you only like the team when it's winning you aren't a true fan.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
erttheking said:
Do4600 said:
erttheking said:
Do4600 said:
I just...what does that even mean?
The Lion King was based on Hamlet, but it has obvious differences and simplifications to appeal to a wider and younger audience.
Yeah, that comparison doesn't really work considering that there's a difference between based on and being part of the same franchise.
Yeah, I'd argue that Fallout 3 was based on Fallout.

Redvenge

Oct 14, 2014
Caramel Frappe said:
Objectable said:
Why do we even have reviews if the people in the comments have already made up their minds?
I find this hilarious as well. Game doesn't release till at least 9 PM EST tonight but people are already judging it.
It'll probably have bugs, perhaps some issues- but are we really going to call it an OK game before actually playing it?

We alone, are the ones to see if Fallout 4 lives up to it's name. Oh and also, our reviewer gave it 4 1/2 stars out of 5 ... so it's obviously not going to suck. Please wait to play the game for yourselves people >_> before judging the game before release lol.
Absolutely not!

This game has been a travesty since we learned just how lame and uncreative it is! How Bethesda just wants to cater to those thuggish Brotherhood of Steel fanboys! Retreading story content that was presented in Wasteland, the very game Fallout takes it's inspiration from!

I am referring, of course, to Bethesda's bigoted refusal to bring back talking albino deathclaws!

I'm certain that Conrad Zimmerman would be the first to confirm that all the companions in FO4 pale in comparison to Goris, the most awesome companion in the entire history of the series! I know that everyone is tired of seeing a lumbering power-armored figure on the cover. We want to see talking albino deathclaws! Dual-wielding miniguns! Sweat glistening on their scaley, well-muscled chests...

Erm... so yeah! Stop sucking, Bethesda! Give us what we want! Talking albino deathclaws!

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Do4600 said:
Also just like sports fans, if you only like the team when it's winning you aren't a true fan.
That's sports. This is games. If a game wasn't winning before then obviously it did something wrong to keep it from winning. Maybe it just wasn't as good a game as you thought it was?

It's okay to not like certain games in a franchise, but calling the new Fallout games "not Fallout" because they've departed somewhat from the old games is an incredibly ignorant statement to make. It's still Fallout. It's just changed from what you knew, and that's a good thing. No game series can remain the same forever. It has to grow and expand. Try new things. True, you might not like the new things in the new games, but that doesn't discount the new games from being just as much Fallout as the older games.

And I've already told you my opinion on Shakespeare. Not an ounce of respect for his ability as a writer.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Kajin said:
Do4600 said:
But you can't read Shakespeare and get the full experience. He wrote plays, not novels, and plays are meant to be acted. That's like only reading the screenplay for the Lion King and saying it's not very good.

lord canti

May 30, 2009
Fanboys fanboys never change. The comments on this page are like saying that the newer legend of zelda game aren't real zelda games because they don't mostly resemble the original ones.