Fallout 4 Review - Post-Apocalyptic Warlord Simulator 2287

Hypertion

May 10, 2011
Whoa whoa whoa whoa...

No spoilers were marked, its a day before launch and while i have watched those leaked videos, i know that if anyone who hasn't read them reads this review and doesn't want spoilers they will not be happy.

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Goliath100 said:
Conrad Zimmerman said:
Do the stealth still suck? Or have Bethesda removed it all togehter?
It's still there, but feels much the same. You can use it, it does allow you to get close to enemies and do all the things sneaking should be good for, but your probability of actually being able to execute those actions seems low. Now, that's going to be a "you mileage may vary" situation as you could be far more skilled at playing than I am and able to use the stealth system effectively. And it has to be noted that I haven't built a character that focuses on stealth and could find that perks I haven't yet acquired make a big difference.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Smilomaniac said:
erttheking said:
Yeah, I know that you treat me like an exaggerated stereotype and not a real person, and that you don't respect me because I didn't like the same toys you did. I got that. Glad your priorities are straight.
Oh hey, you DID get the point :) All is good.
You're not a real person to me and you probably never will be, you're just a random voice on the internet who's arguing for arguing's sake. Actually you're lower than a stranger, you're just obnoxious to me.
No wonder you have such a high post count if you insist on having to prove your worth to everyone you feel slighted by.
Way to dodge every other point I made.

Oh I'm obnoxious. Please let me change my attitude towards your elitism in order to placate you.

Oh please, don't pull that weak insult. Your post count isn't exactly non-existent. And I'm so sorry that actually talking to people and not letting their views go unchallenged is apparently something to be ashamed of. Your attitude towards people you don't agree with is why I replied to you, that's all.

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Hypertion said:
Whoa whoa whoa whoa...

No spoilers were marked, its a day before launch and while i have watched those leaked videos, i know that if anyone who hasn't read them reads this review and doesn't want spoilers they will not be happy.
Almost nothing in here (save one tiny thing) isn't established by the game in the first hour or two. If that's considered a spoiler, there's hardly a point in even talking about the narrative content.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Seems like an OK game, not hugely creative, not amazing, but worth a play.

Still, that dialogue system, I like Mass Effect, but...

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Smilomaniac said:
erttheking said:
Way to dodge every other point I made.

Oh I'm obnoxious. Please let me change my attitude towards your elitism in order to placate you.

Oh please, don't pull that weak insult. Your post count isn't exactly non-existent. And I'm so sorry that actually talking to people and not letting their views go unchallenged is apparently something to be ashamed of.
Your points aren't worth addressing, because at the root of it all you don't know where I'm coming from - it "bores" you.
There's nothing more to it than that. You didn't live Fallout the way most of the original fanbase did and you're angry that I don't take you seriously when your experiences are based on something else entirely.
You're taking things way beyond what I'm interested in, which makes almost everything you say irrelevant to me or what I'm saying.

You're not the kind of Fallout fan I'm interested in, deal with it. You can't challenge that view and in trying to do so, you lost before you clicked 'post'.
Ah. So you don't want to address my arguments but still act like they're all wrong. Class act. Way to miss the point. The COMBAT bores me. The story interests me. I know you don't respect me, but you can at least pretend that you at least skim the arguments I make. And you took my original comment about how you were using the No True Scotsman Fallacy beyond what I wanted to talk about, so can I ignore everything you said too?

Well got a bit of bad news for you buddy. The type of Fallout fan you're interested in isn't very common. They're dying out. Because they either actually enjoy Fallout 3 and New Vegas (I actually know people who played the originals and enjoy the new ones, go figure. I'm bad at being 10 years old. I'll go tell them they're not real Fallout fans.) or they've got better things to do with their time than talk about how other people enjoying things ruins their franchise. And I'm not the type of Fallout fan you're interested in? Not exactly a very scathing insult. Why would I WANT to be that kind of fan?

Oh and No True Scotsman is still a logical fallacy that has a fundamental flaw in its logical structure. If you're ok with declaring victory based on logic that's fundamentally flawed then go ahead. You weren't going to listen to me because you already made up your mind that I was wrong before I opened my mouth. I got a good bit of mental exercise out of it, I'm content.

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
Smilomaniac said:
Your points aren't worth addressing, because at the root of it all you don't know where I'm coming from - it "bores" you.
There's nothing more to it than that. You didn't live Fallout the way most of the original fanbase did and you're angry that I don't take you seriously when your experiences are based on something else entirely.
You're taking things way beyond what I'm interested in, which makes almost everything you say irrelevant to me or what I'm saying.

You're not the kind of Fallout fan I'm interested in, deal with it. You can't challenge that view and in trying to do so, you lost before you clicked 'post'.
Do you practice talking like a JRPG villain during your spare time?

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
Conrad Zimmerman said:
Did they put in Takedowns? Can you scout Far Cry style? Is disguises still an option? Do it still play as a mediocre early Hitman clone?

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
I'm hearing that both console versions are suffering from pretty bad framerate issues. Even the PC version isn't doing to well.

Leave it to Bethesda to make a poorly optimized game. For PC users, unless you have a monster rig and/or a dying need to play the game, I suggest you wait a year or two until the mods have been released so the game is playable (provided they aren't locked behind a paywall).

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Why do we even have reviews if the people in the comments have already made up their minds?

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Hypertion said:
Whoa whoa whoa whoa...

Confirming what Conrad said above - near everything in this review is only from the first two hours of the game. There are no significant spoilers included.

ShakerSilver said:
I'm hearing that both console versions are suffering from pretty bad framerate issues. Even the PC version isn't doing to well.
My rig is two years old, GTX680 / 8GB RAM, and I am not seeing any framerate issues except that time I set off like twenty bottlecap mines with a fat man shot.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
Sounds like a Bethesda game, I'm extremely miffed by the simplifications though. This honestly sounds more like a bright and easy STALKER.

erttheking said:
Smilomaniac said:
The real fans
Oh don't pull that No True Scotsman ploy. I got into the series on Fallout 3, loved New Vegas, tried to go back to 1 and 2 and thought they were boring as sin. Do I have to revoke my true Fallout fan card?
Yes.

It's like saying you like Shakespeare because you like Lion King.

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Do4600 said:
Sounds like a Bethesda game, I'm extremely miffed by the simplifications though. This honestly sounds more like a bright and easy STALKER.
I wouldn't call it "easy" necessarily. It's not as brutal as the combat in the original Fallout tended to be, but there are some pretty nasty fights in this.

Mullahgrrl

Apr 20, 2008
Conrad Zimmerman said:
Coruptin said:
Conrad Zimmerman said:
I'm referring to the idea of the player performing essentially the role of a pimp by making it a commercial aspect of settlements built by the player. It's just a step I can't see any game taking.
Saints Row 3
But those missions were based on acquisition, and can be construed in some sense as "rescuing" people from abusive exploitation. While it's implied that the women are willing to perform sex work and will be under the Saints, the player doesn't actually engage in the act of selling sex, just obtaining the raw materials for it.
What about Tropico 2 then?

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Conrad Zimmerman said:
Coruptin said:
Conrad Zimmerman said:
I'm referring to the idea of the player performing essentially the role of a pimp by making it a commercial aspect of settlements built by the player. It's just a step I can't see any game taking.
What about Tropico 2 then?
I've not played it, so I can't speak to how it works. That said, fair enough, there are going to be some games that can get away with it. Tropico is fairly niche, though. Something in the AAA space such as Fallout represents a much more significant risk, the kind that makes satisfying the likely small user base that really wants to do that seem unappealing.